• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Fine Gael - Do as I say, not as I do

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Sen. Jim Higgins MEP speaking at the Michael Collins Commemoration Ceremony at Beal na Blath today claimed a Government led by Michael Collins would not have “stood idly by in the full knowledge that the civil rights of the minority in the north were being trampled upon.”

He went on to claim “had the Irish government in the south, as Collins would have done, faced up to its responsibility to defend our beleaguered brethren in the north, we would not have had the sieges of the catholic enclaves, we would not have had bloody Sunday in Derry.

I wonder has Sen. Higgins forgotten it was the leader of his party who facilitated various British agencies in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?

Fine Gael’s claim to Michael Collins legacy is nothing more than skin-deep and a slur on his name.

badinage

TKwhiskers said:
in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?
How did the Irish Government try to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic community?

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
badinage said:
TKwhiskers said:
in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?
How did the Irish Government try to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic community?
The only thing that springs to mind about May 1970 was the Arms Trial. Is that what you are on about TK?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
badinage said:
TKwhiskers said:
The Government set up a £100,000 fund to alleviate the suffering of Catholic community.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
TKwhiskers said:
badinage said:
TKwhiskers said:
The Government set up a £100,000 fund to alleviate the suffering of Catholic community.
Okay, and what did Liam Cosgrave do?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
jjcarroll said:
TKwhiskers said:
badinage said:
TKwhiskers said:
He left the British secret service men involved in the Dublin/Monagahan bombings disappear back across the border after they had carried out their work, and he stood by while evidence of the bombed cars were destroyed before forensics could be done on them, to remove any trace of British military involvement. All on behalf of the Cruiser to save Labours skin from an emerging IRSP.

Its also a joke that Jim Higgins is talking about what a FG under Collins would have done regarding the 6 counties, while their current leader is doing nothing for the people in Antrim, except snipe about the IRA.

The IRA are gone now Enda, and the Catholics are still being killed. And not a peep.

Jeez I like a lot of FG people, but this fcuking hypocrisy sickens me

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Rock, I know you don't like to leave historical fact get in the way of your prejudices and convictions but TK refered to Cosgrave facilitating '"various British agencies" in the May 1970. The Dublin-Monaghan bombings occured four years later, so are hardly relevant to TK's point.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
jjcarroll said:
Rock, I know you don't like to leave historical fact get in the way of your prejudices and convictions but TK refered to Cosgrave facilitating '"various British agencies" in the May 1970. The Dublin-Monaghan bombings occured four years later, so are hardly relevant to TK's point.
Ah jaysus sorry JJ.

So that makes what Cosgrave did in '74 all right so ?

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
rockofcashel said:
jjcarroll said:
Ah jaysus sorry JJ.

So that makes what Cosgrave did in '74 all right so ?
Rock, May 1974 is entirely irrelevant to a discussion of May 1970. I am interested in what TK is going on about, because it escapes me entirely what type of facilitating Cosgrave was up to. But, hey don't leave entire irrelevancy get in the way of trying to score political points off Fine Gael.

BarryW

TKwhiskers said:
I wonder has Sen. Higgins forgotten it was the leader of his party who facilitated various British agencies in May 1970 when the then Irish Government tried to alleviate the suffering of the Catholic Community?
What a load of Bolllocks.
Do you even know what you're talking about?! Or is it another pathetic TK-brand attempt to smear Fine Gael?!

(NB: A more appropriate title for this thread would be: Higgins speech decimates Rainbow pact - Fine Gael finished)

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
BarryW said:
TKwhiskers said:
Do you even know what you're talking about?! Or is it another pathetic TK-brand attempt to smear Fine Gael?!

(NB: A more appropriate title for this thread would be: Higgins speech decimates Rainbow pact - Fine Gael finished)
Barry, do even you not think Higgins has a bit of a neck talking about what Collins would have done when Catholics were being attacked in '69, while Enda Kenny is silent about whats going on in Antrim today ?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
BarryW said:
Mrs. Taylor-Quinn said:
The State was convulsed when the then Leader of Fine Gael, Mr. Liam Cosgrave, went to the then Taoiseach, Mr. Jack Lynch, with specific information given to him. He did so because of a fear for the security of the State at the time. Subsequently, a serious debate took place in the Houses of the Oireachtas. The Dáil sat through the night, the end result of which was that a number of Fianna Fáil Ministers were sacked from office...link

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
TKwhiskers said:
badinage said:
TKwhiskers said:

Ah the €100,000 that was used as seed capital by the Provisional IRA. Yes, Charlie and Co. did a great deed with that Northern Relief Fund.

DOD

There can be little doubt of the hypocrisy of Higgins on this. However, FF's record is even worse, because they were in a position to do something, and were supposedly republicans. Jack Lynch even made an appeal to the Irish people about how they couldn't stand idly by, with a big puppy dog head up on him, and yet did sweet fcuk all. The only men in FF trying to do anything, were reprimanded for doing so.

west_brit

Website
www.ogra.ie
what a party that Collins would have established had he lived would have done or what Collins himself would have done.
He would have established a dictatorship plain and simple.

thegeneral

KingKane said:
Er... lads Jim Higgins didn't say what FG would have done. He spoke about what a party that Collins would have established had he lived would have done or what Collins himself would have done.
Is that an admission that the current FG is not a party Collins would have been a member of :?

meriwether

rockofcashel said:
jjcarroll said:
TKwhiskers said:
badinage said:
TKwhiskers said:
He left the British secret service men involved in the Dublin/Monagahan bombings disappear back across the border after they had carried out their work, and he stood by while evidence of the bombed cars were destroyed before forensics could be done on them, to remove any trace of British military involvement. All on behalf of the Cruiser to save Labours skin from an emerging IRSP.

Its also a joke that Jim Higgins is talking about what a FG under Collins would have done regarding the 6 counties, while their current leader is doing nothing for the people in Antrim, except snipe about the IRA.

The IRA are gone now Enda, and the Catholics are still being killed. And not a peep.

Jeez I like a lot of FG people, but this fcuking hypocrisy sickens me
Its a while since I read such utter delusional nonsense like this. Good work.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
thegeneral said:
KingKane said:
Er... lads Jim Higgins didn't say what FG would have done. He spoke about what a party that Collins would have established had he lived would have done or what Collins himself would have done.
Is that an admission that the current FG is not a party Collins would have been a member of :?
I think it was a statement that he would have established a party which would have been different (to what extent is unclear) to what CnG and subsequently FG were. I don't think it means he would have joined some other party other than FG that current exists today.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies