Fine Gael ends Dáil pairing agreement

hiding behind a poster

Pat Rabbitte backtracking on The Frontline!
He certainly was. Admittedly Rabbitte has always been on the anti-FF wing of Labour, but he can clearly see the damage Quinn did today.

loner

Doesn't come close to the appalling vista of Enda ( being himself ) being paraded as our next PM;)
Dont think Leno could level the same remarks at Kenny as he did at Cowen--couldnt see Kenny being inthe same state as was reported in relation to Cowen

Rocky

I mean, Labour are continuing to observe it now that FG have stepped down as the main opposition party prepared to do so.

From a quick read of this thread, the FG supporters seem to think that for years before this week, having an opposition party pair with the main government party was just business as usual, the mere observation of an ancient convention, and not signifying warm feelings towards the government of the day.
But once their party decides to stop pairing, the convention suddenly becomes - in the hands of another opposition party - a determined act of support of the government.

That's b0llox, frankly, isn't it?
That's politics.

Fine Gael decided to up the ante and increase the pressure on the government. It is at breaking point, Grealish and McGrath pulling their support has led to that and it's time to break it. The game has quite simply changed.

To be fair what Mary Coughlan did is particularly dishonest. She arranged her Minister's question for a time she knew she wasn't going to be there and she could still be there anyway if she really wanted to be. So I think that has strongly added to the strength of Fine Gael's argument. However had she done that a few months ago, I'm sure there wouldn't have been a word about it. But that's life and politics, things change.

Finally I will add that I believe Fine Gael are pairing for Martin to attend an important EU meeting this week so FG haven't completely abolished pairing. They've just made it a lot stricter

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Dont think Leno could level the same remarks at Kenny as he did at Cowen--couldnt see Kenny being inthe same state as was reported in relation to Cowen
One of the best tweets I read was "better a pist Cowen, than a sober Enda", says it all really.

turdsl

He sure is...he more or less put the whole episode down to a misunderstanding by Ruari Quinn. They know they shot themselves in the foot big time today . They have now left themselves wide open to accusations of propping up the very Govt they claim to despise.

It looks to me, without invitation Labour walked into a trap, It seems that Quinn and Gilmore were not aware that the main conference was not on until late in the week, when O Dowd disclosed it later in the day, Mary did not want to answer questions on FAS so she decided to go to America early, Quinn had a rush of blood to the Brain when he went on the 1 30 news and got caught
Rabbitte did not look too happy last night, The plain facts are that the parings were not required ar all. Fianna Fail are as slippery as ever,

Baron von Biffo

Some load of tosh on a makey uppy US based 'encyclopaedia' doesn't constitute facts. For all we know that article was written by FG to make their leader look important.

There is no position of 'Leader of the Opposition' in Irish politics.
I've just had a look at this Wikipedia entry again and discovered that it seems to have been created from a dynamic IP address that was also used to contribute several FG and Kenny articles. It appears my suspicion was well founded. An entirely spurious entry was made in Wikipedia by an FG supporter trying to big up their man.

Sad really.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom