• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fine Gael lodge official complaint with RTE over failure to name Waterford candidate

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Fine Gael have lodged a formal complaint with RTE because a reference to the Waterford Bye-election named an Independent candidate as the only declared candidate for election. FG's Paudie Coffey has been a candidate for six months, and he's calling on RTE's Prime Time to issue a correction.

After watching the bye-election report that Prime Time broadcast on Tuesday evening with great interest, I was left somewhat bemused by an inaccurate statement made during the programme, which stated that the only declared bye-election candidate in Waterford was an Independent Councillor, who, up to that point, had not declared.
Fine Gael Waterford candidate Paudie Coffey

Fine Gael's statement this afternoon says that a press officer contacted RTE during the Prime Time show to ask them to make the correction on air.

The letter of complaint to RTE is below, and refers to the failure to mention Coffey as "damaging", the letter also demands that Primetime give Paudie an appearance on the show soon to make up for the ommission.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/39258053/Fine-Gael-complaint-to-Prime-Time-re-Paudie-Coffey"]Fine Gael complaint to Prime Time re: Paudie Coffey@@AMEPARAM@@document_id=39258053&access_key=key-21rkcc0i7k8s0o8qi24t&@@AMEPARAM@@39258053@@AMEPARAM@@key-21rkcc0i7k8s0o8qi24t[/ame]

It is my firm hope that a clarification will be issued by Prime Time without delay so that the electorate, and Prime Time’s audience, can be kept properly informed.
Fine Gael Waterford candidate Paudie Coffey

Sync

Shouldn't get a slot on the show, but Primetime should apologise on air. FG really need to cop themselves on though, this constant whining isn't how governments in waiting behave.

corelli

In fairness, fit of pique aside, it's a bit much for the States national broadcaster to miss the fact that there was another declared candidate in the field for months.

Sync

In fairness, fit of pique aside, it's a bit much for the States national broadcaster to miss the fact that there was another declared candidate in the field for months.
A sitting senator from the party of opposition as well. More than a little difficult to believe.

Rocky

Shouldn't get a slot on the show, but Primetime should apologise on air. FG really need to cop themselves on though, this constant whining isn't how governments in waiting behave.
This is exceptional to be fair.

Coffey has been declared for months, is a Senator, is the favourite to win the seat and has got a fair bit of media attention. To not state that he was a declared candidate is either bias or gross incompetence from RTE. I'd guess the second, but either way there has to be an apology and Fine Gael are right to complain. This isn't the same as Fine Gael complaining about a journalist attacking them or because of a certain angle they took on a story.

Verhofstadt

Website
Sync can you show any evidence that FG press office "whine" or complain about media treatment / exposure any more than the FF press office?

Tomas Mor

This would never happen to FF. Their candidate would already have had an outing on the Late Late Show, or with Ballsy O Connor on Saturday night show.

moodracer

Not just one declared candidate but 3........

Senator Pausie Coffey (FG)
Cllr David Cullinane (SF)
Cllr Joe Conway (IND)

I suppose it was too much to expect Cllr Halligan to mention to PT that there are other declared candidates in the area........ kinda sneaky John, FF type manouvre...... not what I expect from a candidate.....

A sitting senator from the party of opposition as well. More than a little difficult to believe.
Not really.............it`s RTE after all :cool:

wombat

Not really.............it`s RTE after all :cool:
Now that Michael Noonan has returned to prominance, it must be time they re ran the Blood transfusion series:lol:

Sync

Sync can you show any evidence that FG press office "whine" or complain about media treatment / exposure any more than the FF press office?
I can show you the whining letter they sent to RTE rather than just call them and discuss it like adults. If you can show me a similar article from Labour, FF or SF I'll call them whiners as well.

FG's problems are not the media. It's that they don't know how to handle the media. Or the public. Or themselves.

SF get constantly shunted by shows, and disregarded in election runins. I don't see them writing Dear Cathy letters, and then issuing them to the media.

Everything about it screams inferiority complex.

oggy

Now that Michael Noonan has returned to prominance, it must be time they re ran the Blood transfusion series:lol:
What a good idea !!

Sync

This is exceptional to be fair.

Coffey has been declared for months, is a Senator, is the favourite to win the seat and has got a fair bit of media attention. To not state that he was a declared candidate is either bias or gross incompetence from RTE. I'd guess the second, but either way there has to be an apology and Fine Gael are right to complain.
I'd guess the former. I genuinely can't imagine anyone being employed there and thinking there was only one candidate.

As a candidate declared for half a year now, I would have expected - as no doubt the other two declared would also - a mention that I have been out there canvassing for the seat, too. I sincerely hope they will correct their error asap.

Tomas Mor

What does Sync think about Eoin O Neachtáin telling TV3 that they are not welcome in Gov Buildings, of course thats not whining, thats Mugabeism.

TommyO'Brien

Unfortunately it was all too typical of RTÉ, something they do a lot of. Either it was deliberate, or those responsible for the broadcast are too incompetent to be in the media.

moodracer

What does Sync think about Eoin O Neachtáin telling TV3 that they are not welcome in Gov Buildings, of course thats not whining, thats Mugabeism.
It`s just unreal. I think people are finally realising that there is little or no difference between FF/FG.........two sides of the same coin.