Fine Gael offering to support the budget?

Baron von Biffo

On RTE News at One Richard Bruton has said "We may need emergency measures to get us to a general election" (my emphasis) and he hinted that Cowen should contact Kenny. The only reasonable interpretation is that FG are looking for an excuse to support the budget.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

turdsl

Fianna Fail has been acting in their own interests for a long time now, It would be an honourable duty now for Fine Gael to put the interests of the country first and show the country they are fit to lead this country out of the disgrace this government has brought us to.

Asparagus

I'm voting Sinn Fein if the blueshirts support the gombeens.

Right now they just about have my vote....

ocoonassa

And the two million or so retards who'll fight tooth and nail swearing one is actually better than the other. The most remedial workforce in all Europe, how have they managed to socially engineer a population to be so backwards? It's quite a feat.

Asparagus

Fianna Fail has been acting in their own interests for a long time now, It would be an honourable duty now for Fine Gael to put the interests of the country first and show the country they are fit to lead this country out of the disgrace this government has brought us to.
20 days delay in a budget won't do anything.....

Acting in the best National Interest involves getting FF out at the earliest opportunity - not let them frame your first year in office.

brughahaha

Be a clever move to do so ....
Anger is a volatile feast , no matter what people are feeling don't think they'll want the bailout negotiations to drag on through a general election and into the new year ...

Right is right

I'm voting Sinn Fein if the blueshirts support the gombeens.

Right now they just about have my vote....
So what good will voting against the budget do??? How about some facts or numbers in terms of financial benefits of voting against it??

and I am speaking as someone who despises the current govt and the situation we are in...

Skyrocket

On RTE News at One Richard Bruton has said "We may need emergency measures to get us to a general election" (my emphasis) and he hinted that Cowen should contact Kenny. The only reasonable interpretation is that FG are looking for an excuse to support the budget.

"Emergency measures" could mean the budget being postponed until a new government is in office.

civilserpant

Amazing how this flips between national interest is labour does it and gob************************eism if FG does it.

FG/Lab absolutely SHOULD ensure this budget crosses the line, in the national interest.
This is especially in Labours interest. labour have gotten away with being anti-everything, if they have to go to the country fighting on what cuts they WILL bring in within a fortinhgt of being elected, they'll rapidly drop. If they support the budget, they can write it off as national interest and fight it based on responsible government andfight it on budget 2011 arguments.

SF are the only party who can have their cake on this and eat it, same with the 3% by 2016 issue. The others have to think bigger picture as they're the one who'll be left to manage the legacy.

Kenny should come right out, say, we'll support the budget, under protest, for the sake of the Nation in return for an immediate GE. Otherwise, he risks some backbencher doing asolo run or Ruairi Quinn going out, like he did on Coughlan, in 'the national interest' and having FG painted as the bad guys.

Superlepreachaun

So the first thing they're gonna do after a general election date is known is....support the govts economic plans.....so why should we vote for them if they're policies are identical to FF? Why do they even exist as a separate party? If they vote for the budget they may as well put posters up around the country when the elections called saying "we'd do what FF would do".

Remind me again why FG are so against merging with FF?

droghedasouth

tempest

Why oh why are FF still trying to spin this, party hacks on Liveline still defending the indefensible and saying they are the party to lead the IMF discussions. Don't they have the intelligence to realise that every time they make a statement of defense, or mock the opposition the day after the invited the IMF in, it just looks like utter desperation and denial and alienates the remaining few willing to give FF the benefit of the doubt.

If anyone from FF is listening the only way you can redeem your image is to stop spinning, stop politicking, stop defending, say sorry and accept you haven't got everything right. Show some humility and treat the people with respect and they may afford you the same courtesy.

Superlepreachaun

FF policies created this disaster.
Actually global financial deregulation particularly in the US, coupled with greed and availability of excess credit created this disaster.
If you mean the localized problem in Ireland related to the property bubble etc...fair enough.

Imagine this picture.

Company X fires an executive due to gross incompetence. They announce they're taking applications. The first applicant says the executive was a fool and they'd been saying so all along, pointing out many of his mistakes as he made them, but then he says "having said that, we support the plan he proposed just before you fired him"

Interviewer "you support the plan of the guy we just fired? the guy you said all along was an incompetent fool, you support the plan of this incompetent fool?"

"yes"

You reckon he's gonna get hired?

goatstoe

Everyone knows FG/FF are one and the same in terms of political outlook and policies. It's vital that this GE returns a different leadership than the perennial FF/FG hegemony that has had a stranglehold on Irish politics since the foundation of the state. We are now entering a period where we've ceded fiscal control to the EU/IMF, a new Ireland must emerge from this era.

In terms of the political landscape a new era can begin with Labour assuming the role of largest party, and from there with a new Constitution in place, political life can be transformed at last. Any coalition deal that will be done, probably with FG, can wait until after the Election. Now that the General Election campaign is about to begin, Labour need to get the gloves off and set out their stall and attack the FG/FF block. At times Labour have appeared way too cosy with the blueshirts on tv panels for my liking.

LDF

It's up to Brian Cowen or his replacement to request help from FG. I'm sure if FG get to see the books and have their policies adopted they will be willing to act in the national interest.

Then again Cowen may pull the plug before then.

Superlepreachaun

It's up to Brian Cowen or his replacement to request help from FG. I'm sure if FG get to see the books and have their policies adopted they will be willing to act in the national interest.

I would think, given their track record, the national interest would be staying the hell away from the IMF. I also love how some people are painting their exact policy prescription as "the national interest", a prescription, I might add, that has so far only made the defecit worse each and every time, so much so that last year we were told we were "turning a corner" and now we're calling in the lender of last resort, and all the horrors that come with that..

Superlepreachaun

I would think, given their track record, the national interest would be staying the hell away from the IMF. I also love how some people are painting their exact policy prescription as "the national interest", a prescription, I might add, that has so far only made the defect worse each and every time, so much so that last year we were told we were "turning a corner" and now we're calling in the lender of last resort, and all the horrors that come with that..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies