• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fine Gael on a United Ireland!!!


The Collective.

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
159
Pretty confident that the United Ireland party, is for a united Ireland.
 

Corcaigh33

Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Messages
86
The "United Ireland party" that gave us John Bruton, Brian Hayes and Gay Mitchell being for a United Ireland, you must be joking.
 

edifice.

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
8,407
If FG are for unity by consent which other parties policy on the issue are they at variance with?
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,604
Corcaigh33 said:
The "United Ireland party" that gave us John Bruton, Brian Hayes and Gay Mitchell being for a United Ireland, you must be joking.
You're a FF'er aren't you?
Can you give me one thing that Dev, Lemass, Lynch, Haughey, Reynolds or Ahern did to secure a UI?
 

Fr. Hank Tree

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
5,907
FG is the United Ireland party. I'm a United Irelander. What some of the ignorant people posting here don't realise is that unionist people are Irish people too and the best way to achieve a United Ireland is by observing their rights, respecting their heritage and not blowing them up.
 

TradCat

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
1,992
Fine Gael think a united Ireland should come about by consent but they wouldn't consent to it.
 

Respvblica

Active member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
212
If they stated officially that they were against a united Ireland I wouldn't have anything more to do with them., but I dont have to worry about it because thas wont happen.

Some northerenrs think Fine Gael by their actions(or lack of) are a partitionist party who couldnt care a fig about the north. Its true that many in the south, not just FG get involved in local issues and forget about the north- the easy option. Personally in retrospect the saddest part of the whole thing, being a southerener, was the inaction or inability to do anything from 1922-1985. We were totally excluded, and we played the Realpolitik game because we had to. Taking over the north militarily was just not an option, and many would fear the economic consequences. Yet a really wicked apartheit state existed up there. What to do? Well we werent in power much but there is no doubt that we were inspired by Michael Collins and the principals of consent, which most parties now follow.
Whatever form of free government we had, it would be the Government of the Irish Nation. All the other elements, old Unionists, Home Rulers, Devolutionists, would have to be allowed freedom and self- expression. The only way to build the nation solid and Irish is to effect these elements in a friendly national way---by attraction, not by compulsion, making them feel themselves welcomed into the Irish Nation, in which they can join and become absorbed, as long ago the Geraldines and the de Burgos became absorbed. (Path to Freedom)

I believe this inspired Garrett Fitzgerald's attitude(the son of a catholic and a northern protestant who both fought in the GPO in 1916). I see many others have followed in Collins's footsteps. It seems that they are the inevitable footsteps and it pleases me that Fine Gael were the first towards this realisation.

Earlier during those dark days of the 1950s,it was a Fine Gael led govt that chose to recognise the northern people by appointing republican Liam Kelly to Seanad. This is at a time when our people up there where practically forgotton, without hope. I also think that the enemies of FG have tried to make political capital out of our position by twisting it in a way so that it seems west brit- we are in league with the foreigner. I think that is without substance, extremely disingenuous and ultimately machievellian.
 

Fr. Hank Tree

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
5,907
TradCat said:
Fine Gael think a united Ireland should come about by consent but they wouldn't consent to it.
Eh..yes we would.

Are you(and Corcaigh) one of these FF hacks who believes that all Fine Gael members are "crypto-unionist self-loathing unpatriotic west-brits" simply because your daddy told you so?
 

Corcaigh33

Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Messages
86
Before anyone starts describing anyone else as ignorant here it would be better for them to ensure they knew what they were talking about themselves.

I am a former FFer yes - I left the party in 98. I still vote for them based on the fact that of all the parties likely to be in power in the 26 counties they are the ones most likely to promote a nationalist/republican agenda notwithstanding the fact that they have not been as upfront about it as I would have liked per meriwether's post.

For those lecturing on ignorance, given where we are at today in real terms my solution to achieving a UI which I have posted here at least 10 or so times in my 800 and odd posts would be as follows :

1. Unionist retain their British passports and citizenship in the same way nationalists have the right to citizenship here at the moment.
2. Unionists have the right to march on the 12th anywhere they want provided they have the agreement of the community through which they are marching.
3. Union Jacks be flown from civic buildings on the 12th of July.
4. Ulster Scots be added to the constitution as an official language.
5. I am sure there could be some arrangement arrived at where taxes could be paid to Westminster instead of Dublin if push came to shove.
6. in the context of a UI outside the commonwealth, the national anthem to be changed to something which appreciates and is inclusive of both traditions.
7. A change to the national flag at a push as well.

That is a damn sight more than nationalists in the 6 counties are afforded at the moment. I personally believe that in a UI we should seek to integrate the unionist culture and tradition in so far as possible into our own becuase as Fr Hank says they are Irish after all, even if they consider themselves Northern Irish or just British themselves.

So it's far from ignorance I am being in my post above.
 

dgl

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
783
Fr. Hank Tree said:
TradCat said:
Fine Gael think a united Ireland should come about by consent but they wouldn't consent to it.
Eh..yes we would.

Are you(and Corcaigh) one of these FF hacks who believes that all Fine Gael members are "crypto-unionist self-loathing unpatriotic west-brits" simply because your daddy told you so?
And I'd bet you (Trad Cat) use the Willie O'Dea pronunciation FYNE-GALE just to demonstrate your lack of knowledge of the Irish language too!
 

trickpa

Member
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
5
edifice. said:
If FG are for unity by consent which other parties policy on the issue are they at variance with?
Now to be truthful - no one really want a united Ireland - imagine having to deal with the scumbags up there.....uurggh
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,604
Corcaigh33 said:
Before anyone starts describing anyone else as ignorant here it would be better for them to ensure they knew what they were talking about themselves.

I am a former FFer yes - I left the party in 98. I still vote for them based on the fact that of all the parties likely to be in power in the 26 counties they are the ones most likely to promote a nationalist/republican agenda notwithstanding the fact that they have not been as upfront about it as I would have liked per meriwether's post.

For those lecturing on ignorance, given where we are at today in real terms my solution to achieving a UI which I have posted here at least 10 or so times in my 800 and odd posts would be as follows :

1. Unionist retain their British passports and citizenship in the same way nationalists have the right to citizenship here at the moment.
2. Unionists have the right to march on the 12th anywhere they want provided they have the agreement of the community through which they are marching.
3. Union Jacks be flown from civic buildings on the 12th of July.
4. Ulster Scots be added to the constitution as an official language.
5. I am sure there could be some arrangement arrived at where taxes could be paid to Westminster instead of Dublin if push came to shove.
6. in the context of a UI outside the commonwealth, the national anthem to be changed to something which appreciates and is inclusive of both traditions.
7. A change to the national flag at a push as well.

That is a damn sight more than nationalists in the 6 counties are afforded at the moment. I personally believe that in a UI we should seek to integrate the unionist culture and tradition in so far as possible into our own becuase as Fr Hank says they are Irish after all, even if they consider themselves Northern Irish or just British themselves.

So it's far from ignorance I am being in my post above.
yeah super.
What have FF done over their existence to secure a UI?
 

TradCat

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
1,992
I'm flattered by the pesonal attacks but I'm a Sinn Fein voter not a Fianna Fail voter. FF are better than FG on the north but neither of them are all-Ireland parties.
 

Kwame-Nkrumah

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
14
dgl said:
Fr. Hank Tree said:
TradCat said:
Fine Gael think a united Ireland should come about by consent but they wouldn't consent to it.
Eh..yes we would.

Are you(and Corcaigh) one of these FF hacks who believes that all Fine Gael members are "crypto-unionist self-loathing unpatriotic west-brits" simply because your daddy told you so?
And I'd bet you (Trad Cat) use the Willie O'Dea pronunciation FYNE-GALE just to demonstrate your lack of knowledge of the Irish language too!
Actually I think it is very questionable whether Fine Gael as pronounced by the blueshirts is proper irish. The presumption that it isn't proper Irish is why some peopl pronounce it as it is spelled.
 

Respvblica

Active member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
212
I also think it would be a coup(certainly interesting) if a FG led government were to make some interesting proposals towards achieving a workable united Ireland. FF tend to suddenly become very aware of the north when they get into opposition and we need to be one step ahead.
(actually thats a bit cruel- I'll give Albert and Bertie(especially albert) some dues for the peace process while in govt).
The problem is that now with the agreement in place it will be very easy just to sit back and relax. We need to keep our eye on the ball if we get in. Be creative.
My two pence worth.
 

The Collective.

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
159
no.3 cant work. It goes against the international flag laws. A foriegn isnt allowed to fly higher than the nations flag. It has to be same height or below it.
 

Kf

Active member
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Messages
274
FG a united ireland party, yeah right in the same way that Zhirinovsky is a liberal. They align themsleves with unionism which is fundamentally opposed to a UI. Square that?
 

scarface

Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
24
look none of the 26 county parties want a united Ireland because none of them have done anything to achieve and because they would lose a great deal of power if it occured
 
Top