Fine Gael Plans to Drop Brits First Policy in a Bid to Court SF and Outflank Fianna Fail.

TruthInTheNews

Leo has managed to persuade Fine Gael grandees to drop the Brits First policy adopted by the party after partition. The policy proved deeply unpopular with the electorate and resulted in Fianna Fail hegemony of Irish politics for most of the last century. The impetus behind the move is Leo’s desire to go down in history as the Taoiseach who attained the holy grail of Irish politics, the reunification of Ireland. Most people are unaware that the Indian side of Leo’s family was involved in the Indian campaign for independence and he has little time for the West Brit partition loving Home Rulers in his own party. His sympathies lie with Irish Nationalists.

Leo has assiduously avoided courting the SDLP and wants to stop the policy of running SDLP rejects under the FG banner in the South. He refused to endorse the candidacy of Mark Durkan in the Euros and left the decision to the FG Convention. He sees the SDLP as a spent force in the North and politically irrelevant in the South as they have no presence here. FF are welcome to the SDLP.

On the other hand, Leo opened up his own lines of communication with Mary Lou some time ago. Leo sees Sinn Fein as a potential partner in a future coalition government and seeks common ground with Sinn Fein on important issues. The result has been the adoption of a de Valera like obduracy on the part of the Irish Government on the Brexit border question, which, coming from a traditionally pro-British party surprised the hell out of the Tories and some FG members. In return, Mary Lou promised to tone down criticism of FG, support the Government’s Brexit policy and resurrect Stormont.

Leo wants SF to squeeze FF and Labour. He sees the main threat at the next election coming from a FF/Labour/Greens coalition. The success of the strategy will depend on whether SF can attract FF and Labour voters in urban working class areas. A FG/SF/Independents coalition is on the cards if SF can repeat the their success in Dublin Mid-West. FG strategists believe the culture wars are now over and that many left wing social justice warriors will lose their seats because they ignored the bread and butter issues of most concern to their constituents. The next election may throw up some surprises.

brigg

Mary Lou became a household name from the years she spent sniping and moaning from the opposition benches.
The moment she has to defend unpopular government decisions she'll become the most hated woman in Ireland.

redneck

An interesting thread. Yes, FG have dropped their hostility to the Irish language. Well they say they have.
I don't think Leo V is the F.G Taoiseach to get S.F support though. He called S.F voters- "Wolves" only last month.
F.G have endorsed a policy of supporting the British Commonwealth. So that would have to go. Which it probably will post next year's election. A move to cosy up to Sinn Féin would split F.G in my view.
I see Fianna Fáil, and the SDLP as probably a safer bet than F.G. Micheál Martin, has an ok relationship with Mary Lou McDonald. But FF would still have to deal with some internal problems if a relationship/or deal went through.

james toney

There are many examples on Joan Bruton and Labour's lies supporting the corruption of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail.....Also Denis O Brien and the support of Irish Water from many Political parties and media.
Sinn Fein will know the consequences of such support...if any.....Mary Lou will take that into account.

redneck

Fianna Fáil does not seem to have too many "Republican voices" in it anymore. Only Eamon O Cúiv springs to mind. And Senator Daly down in Kerry.

jmcc

The only thing that FF seem any good at under Martin is bending over for FG. At this rate SF might end up taking the Nationalist vote from FF despite SF trying to be Labour Nua.

michael-mcivor

Sinn Fein got a new TD in the by-elections last week - Fine Gael got no one elected then- hope Leo is not turning yellow-

Estragon

Leo has managed to persuade Fine Gael grandees to drop the Brits First policy adopted by the party after partition. The policy proved deeply unpopular with the electorate and resulted in Fianna Fail hegemony of Irish politics for most of the last century. The impetus behind the move is Leo’s desire to go down in history as the Taoiseach who attained the holy grail of Irish politics, the reunification of Ireland. Most people are unaware that the Indian side of Leo’s family was involved in the Indian campaign for independence and he has little time for the West Brit partition loving Home Rulers in his own party.
This is a tour de force of trolling. I LOLed

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Perhaps FG have noticed how FF managed to nullify the Greens and cannibalise them when they went into coalition with FF. Mind you, I can't quite see a supply and confidence arrangement between FG and Sinn Fein somehow.

galteeman

An interesting thread. Yes, FG have dropped their hostility to the Irish language. Well they say they have.
I don't think Leo V is the F.G Taoiseach to get S.F support though. He called S.F voters- "Wolves" only last month.
F.G have endorsed a policy of supporting the British Commonwealth. So that would have to go. Which it probably will post next year's election. A move to cosy up to Sinn Féin would split F.G in my view.
I see Fianna Fáil, and the SDLP as probably a safer bet than F.G. Micheál Martin, has an ok relationship with Mary Lou McDonald. But FF would still have to deal with some internal problems if a relationship/or deal went through.
Total drivel.
FG are absolutely not hostile to the Irish language.
Which FG policy endorses the Commonwealth?

Last edited:

Uganda

Mary Lou became a household name from the years she spent sniping and moaning from the opposition benches.
The moment she has to defend unpopular government decisions she'll become the most hated woman in Ireland.
But that’s why they opt out of everything to avoid any responsibility for anything

opted out of govt in dublin

walked out of govt in belfast

opted out of westminster

McDonald is the high priestess of whinging and moaning...........she is so addicted to it at this stage that she couldn’t change

redneck

But that’s why they opt out of everything to avoid any responsibility for anything

opted out of govt in dublin

walked out of govt in belfast

opted out of westminster

McDonald is the high priestess of whinging and moaning...........she is so addicted to it at this stage that she couldn’t change
Not true, Micheál Martin and Arlene Foster are. They collapsed Stormont, Foster does not run candidates in South, Martin (or Varadkar) does not run candidates in North.
Martin has abtained in every vote in the Dáil too.
There are some good people though in FF, FG and I personally like Micheál Martin. I feel he would be a good Taoiseach.

Last edited:

Uganda

Not true, Micheál Martin and Arlene Foster are. They collapsed Stormont, Foster does not run candidates in South, Martin (or Varadkar) does not run candidates in North.
Martin has abtained in every vote in the Dáil too.
There are some good people though in FF, FG and I personally like Micheál Martin. I feel he would be a good Taoiseach.
you seem to have forgotten that Sinn Fein collapses Stormont. They walked out.

you seem to forget they never even walked to westminster

you seem to have forgotten that sf decided to opt out of govt in the south.

they are the dr doolittles of politics, quite frankly, as Mac Donald would say

redneck

you seem to have forgotten that Sinn Fein collapses Stormont. They walked out.

you seem to forget they never even walked to westminster

you seem to have forgotten that sf decided to opt out of govt in the south.

they are the dr doolittles of politics, quite frankly, as Mac Donald would say
The DUP were not interested in talking to Nationalists. They wanted- A Protestant state for a Protestant people". Example Acht na Gaeilge. S.F could not accept this. So it collapsed.
Why should an Irish man or woman swear allegiance to an English Queen or Monarch. What kind of snivelling wimp does this?
Why send our beautiful Irish women to cavort with Boris Johnson?

Uganda

The DUP were not interested in talking to Nationalists. They wanted- A Protestant state for a Protestant people". Example Acht na Gaeilge. S.F could not accept this. So it collapsed.
Why should an Irish man or woman swear allegiance to an English Queen or Monarch. What kind of snivelling wimp does this?
it didn’t collapse. Sinn Féin collapsed it and walked away. Typical.

Uganda

I doubt even Johnson would cavort with some of the women in Sinn fein😂

Popular Threads

Most Replies