Fine Gael TD wants to make it an offence to comment on ongoing criminal cases:

Fullforward

Fine Gael TD Josepha Madigan is reported to be trying and bring a bill to the Dail making it a statutory offence to comment on ongoing criminal cases.

It follows the use of social media during the Jobstown trial and Josepha Madigan believes our laws need to be updated to cover the increased use of social media.

I am not questioning her right to bring this bill, I fully support that right and welcome it being teased out through each stage of the the bill and the discussions it will rise.

Breaking Irish News | Get The Latest News In Ireland

Seperate from the recent jobstown case.........

Will this include ALL cases, what will the impact be where people face a no-jury court? Will we no longer see reports like..........

Gardai objected to bail citing the seriousness of the offence and he told the Judge that the accused was affiliated to an organised crime gang etc etc........and it was alleged the accused was caught red-handed. He also objected to bail on the grounds the accused was a flight risk.

Analyzer

Somebody better tell the smug bores in The Sh1te Rimes.

Frank McDonald even has advice for the Jury. ( I always thought that was the sole prerogative of a judge - what are Frank McDonald's qualifications again in relation to criminal justice ??? )

Last edited:

Analyzer

Does Madigan have anything to say about a media oligarch, a former FG TD, & the Moriarty Tribunal findings ?

I think a prosecution case is long over due.

Is this the establishment sitting on it again.

Angler

Why should it be an offence to comment on an ongoing case , the Jury surely are Compos Mentis and will give a Verdict based on the evidence presented at trial .

Fullforward

I never hear of this "Problem" during the Thomas Murphy Tax trial or the Maria Cahill court case. Just saying............

dizillusioned

One wonders what she has to hide to bring this bill... nothing wrong with bringing a bill, but to stop people commenting on any case is simply stupid...

Analyzer

FG trying to control people.

The seem to be returning to their Blueshirt roots.

Mushroom

I never hear of this "Problem" during the Thomas Murphy Tax trial or the Maria Cahill court case. Just saying............
That may be because the Slab's case (or "Thomas Murphy" as you deferentially call him - did you genuflect as you typed out his name?) was conducted in the SCC which doesn't have a jury.

And the other case to which you refer was conducted in another polity.

HenryHorace

Blueshirts sooner or later show their true colours.

The establishment got well and truly butt f uc ked this week and they are in complete panic. Internet tax and a shutting down of any type of questioning of the elite is on the cards.

Congalltee

Is it already a common law offence or contempt of court? Much flouted though including by rich business media owners while investigated by a tribunal.

LDF

..and yet she has nothing to say about the, em, inconsistencies, in Garda evidence during the trail.

wombat

Sounds like an attempt to extend restrictions that apply to regular media to online comment, my knickers will remain completely untwisted by the issue.:lol:

hollandia

That may be because the Slab's case (or "Thomas Murphy" as you deferentially call him - did you genuflect as you typed out his name?) was conducted in the SCC which doesn't have a jury.

Because judges don't read the news papers. :roll:

I'm actually in favour of this for several reasons.

talkingshop

Because judges don't read the news papers. :roll:

I'm actually in favour of this for several reasons.
You're in favour of nobody being able to comment on an ongoing case, in any publication, or online, including here?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wonder whether FG are aware that there are some rather embarrassing cases on the horizon, possibly arising out of various investigations at Templemore, and wondering how to contain the damage.

Getting a backbencher to fly a kite in the Oireachtas is one acknowledged way to keep the cabinet away from accusations of amending laws to interfere with justice.

Might be a nice idea for a journo to get her on radio or on the record as to her motivation for suddenly taking an interest in this philosophical area.

Fullforward

You do know that "deferentially" means "in a way that varies according to circumstances or relevant factors", don't you? I always refer to him by his name, so once again you are wrong.

The second case was indeed based in a different Irish City but mostly tried in the media and Leinster House.

Fullforward

I wonder whether FG are aware that there are some rather embarrassing cases on the horizon, possibly arising out of various investigations at Templemore, and wondering how to contain the damage.

Getting a backbencher to fly a kite in the Oireachtas is one acknowledged way to keep the cabinet away from accusations of amending laws to interfere with justice.

Might be a nice idea for a journo to get her on radio or on the record as to her motivation for suddenly taking an interest in this philosophical area.
It also affords TD's the opportunity to express (Without Sanction) their opinions on such cases, FG won't like that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies