• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Fine Gael & The 5 Point Plan

R3volution_R3ady

So, the folklore tale that is the five point plan Fine Gael conjured up has done a disappearing act from the official website. Nevertheless, I managed to dig it up somewhere and thought I'd have a gander over it. Now, at first glance there are some great things to be agreed upon such as changing the welfare system, abolishing airport taxes, prioritising cutting waste over new taxes, making the PS smaller and cheaper, a smaller government etc.

But then it goes on to say that 145 quangos will be abolished. FG have created more.
And then it goes on to say that politicians should lead by taking cuts at the top. I have to applaud FG for having a sense of humour, particularly when I got to this bit "FG will take on vested interests - bankers, bondholders, unions", "we will keep taxes as low as possible".

What exactly is going on here?!

Ryan Tubbs

The irony is, if you read them, that Fine Gael are actually delivering under every heading of their 5 point plan.

But of course no one is willing to say that.

off with their heads

typical fine gael nonsense which the electorate in their infinite wisdom swallowed hook line and sinker:(

Rufty

Pascal brought up the 5 point plan on Vincent Browne last night. I could hear the FG press office banging their heads on desks all the way over here in London. :p

Kerrygold

"Our health system doesn't work for the people who need it most".

This should say "Our health system will work for which ever Minister needed it most in his/her constituency."

Not to mention Dicey Reilly and his Primary care centres.

turdsl

Sam Smith informed us last night that the 5 point plan had now become historic document.

Ryan Tubbs

You're funny.
Ok, look under the "new politics" section for example. Read what's written there. Actually read it. Are you telling me that there hasn't been substantial progress in doing exactly what it says there? Particularly with a Seanad referendum planned in the Autumn?

L

longshortgrass

"Our health system doesn't work for the people who need it most".

This should say "Our health system will work for which ever Minister needed it most in his/her constituency."

Not to mention Dicey Reilly and his Primary care centres.

Maybe Bill Flynn could fund a primary care centre in Louth...just for Baron Adams. :cool:

optics

So, the folklore tale that is the five point plan Fine Gael conjured up has done a disappearing act from the official website. Nevertheless, I managed to dig it up somewhere and thought I'd have a gander over it. Now, at first glance there are some great things to be agreed upon such as changing the welfare system, abolishing airport taxes, prioritising cutting waste over new taxes, making the PS smaller and cheaper, a smaller government etc.

But then it goes on to say that 145 quangos will be abolished. FG have created more.
And then it goes on to say that politicians should lead by taking cuts at the top. I have to applaud FG for having a sense of humour, particularly when I got to this bit "FG will take on vested interests - bankers, bondholders, unions", "we will keep taxes as low as possible".

Politicians lying to get into power? What a shock!

Ryan Tubbs

You see, here's the problem with this statement: it is a complete and utter lie.

Yes, new quangos have been created..........but in virtually every case this was because they were replacing two (or more) which had been abolished.

A net of 17 quangos were abolished in 2012. That's according to the Irish Independent - not me, or Fine Gael, or anyone else.

Eoin Coir

not a bad start, debt roll over, guarantee gone, 15 year extension to debt,m jobs back to 2004 leverls. Who would have ever thoughT ?

ger12

Nah, it couldn't be gone surely?

ger12

Where did ya get this one? Lovely strong colors aren't they ...

Normal Lord

The real 5 point plan

1: Get nice cushy well paid jobs and enjoy big pensions when we get kicked out of office
2: Hire more cronies and ignore the cap on pay
3: Get jobs for pals and friends/spouses so we can get even more cash for ourselves
4: Tax the crap out of the average person whilst we let our rich pals off lightly
5: Continue to bankrupt the country so we can look after our rich banker pals/bondholders and anyone else who put their pants down for FG during the election

lying eyes

The irony is, if you read them, that Fine Gael are actually delivering under every heading of their 5 point plan.

But of course no one is willing to say that.
I thought from watching the Dail debate( late sitting last week) that it was the five PINT plan. They sure achieved that..........

Rocky

To be fair there's an awful lot of waffle there, that can't be really proved either way.

I.e. Fine Gael can easily say they're keeping taxes as low as possible, while others can say they're not. There's no way to quantify it.

On the new politics one though, with the cut in Cllrs, TDs and if the abolishment of the Seanad is passed, I presume that will at least hit 35%.

Salaries for Ministers and Office holders have been cut, never mind capped.

Car pool system has replaced state cars for all put Taoiseach, Tanaiste and Minister for Justice.

And the Citizens Assembly is up and running.

On the public sector: they're well on the way to cutting number by 30,000. Not sure about the 5BN figure or 10%, but another 1BN in cuts been agreed as we all know.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies