Fine Gael's Coveney Vs Varadkar on Repeal the 8th

venusian

Simon Coveney, is still rabidly angry after Varadkar was selected as Fine Gael leader despite Coveny winning the popular
vote and has been out for vengeance, biding his time for an opportunity and is now planning to torpedo Varadkar on the Repeal the 8th referendum.

Varadkar wants unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks along with some of his ministerial lick ar$es.

Coveney is out for vengence against Varadkar and sensing the typical FG catholic loony right wing conservative vote, he knows he can deliver a body blow against Varadkar by screwing over his abortion plans. Not so simple Simon says he does not believe there should be “unrestricted access to abortion at any point in time”. And he has backing within the misogynistic catholic conservatives TD's in the FG party.
Coveney: 'I don't believe there should be unrestricted access to abortion at any point in time'
Coveney: 'I don't believe there should be unrestricted access to abortion at any point in time'

After the 8th is repealed and repealed it will be, if Simon gets his way he will seriously damage his enemy Varadkars credibility.

So Pi.esters, who will win after the 8th is repealed Coveney or Varadkar?

N.B. disclaimer I personally hate and despise Fine Gael and hypocrites like Varadkar and Coveney

hiding behind a poster

Simon Coveney, is still rabidly angry after Varadkar was selected as Fine Gael leader
Stopped reading right there, halfway through the first sentence. You know nothing about Fine Gael, nothing about Coveney and nothing about Varadkar. So you started your thread with a lie.

GDPR

Was wondering how long it would take for you to show up.

Dont FG ever sleep? :D

D

Deleted member 48908

Coveney will probably lead Fine Gael into the next election.

Varadkar's downfall isn't likely to be as a result of the repeal of the 8th amendment.

Rather, his lack of ability. I'm not sure he's a leader.

venusian

Stopped reading right there, halfway through the first sentence. You know nothing about Fine Gael, nothing about Coveney and nothing about Varadkar. So you started your thread with a lie.
You are dreaming:roll:. The thread was based upon what I have been hearing from the mouths of FG party members who are enraged by Coveney's statements to the media.:D

venusian

Coveney will probably lead Fine Gael into the next election.

Varadkar's downfall isn't likely to be as a result of the repeal of the 8th amendment.

Rather, his lack of ability. I'm not sure he's a leader.
Good point. He is very politically amateurish. Still I can see Coveney smells blood.

hiding behind a poster

You are dreaming:roll:. The thread was based upon what I have been hearing from the mouths of FG party members who are enraged by Coveney's statements to the media.:D
How does that show Coveney to be "rabidly angry"? You haven't a clue about FG, kiddo.

hiding behind a poster

Good point. He is very politically amateurish. Still I can see Coveney smells blood.
You must be devastated by the way FG have climbed in the polls, and Varadkar's high personal ratings, since he became leader. :lol:

Ardillaun

Great pic. Leo looks like one of those English judges of yore about to pass sentence on some wretch.

I’d like to think their differences are genuinely held, though.

Last edited:

Alan Alda

Hmmm.People are sick of moralizing patronizing leaders , yet mock leaders who arent moralizing and patronizing .
Wtf Eire? make your mind up,ffs.
Yes , your mind !
Leo and Simon are mere simple , human idiots , just like you and me!
Look to yourself for your opinion, young padawan moron.

Sync

I think you’ve got 2 politically savvy people who know that just because you disagree on which way the boat should be rowing: you don’t set fire to the oars as part of that dispute.

The goal is to get FG elected as the biggest party in the next election. Everything else is subservient to that.

I do think they’re differing on a point of principle rather than what will get them votes (as are FF internally) which is actually a nice change for Ireland.

But no. Don’t be dumb. No one in FG is going to bring down the Govt over this issue. Or any issue really.

This is closer to gay marriage than Brexit. Once it’s done, it’s done. Referendum, legislation (if needed), move on with other things.

Great pic btw.

Iarmuid

Simon Coveney, is still rabidly angry after Varadkar was selected as Fine Gael leader despite Coveny winning the popular
vote and has been out for vengeance, biding his time for an opportunity and is now planning to torpedo Varadkar on the Repeal the 8th referendum.

Varadkar wants unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks along with some of his ministerial lick ar$es.

Coveney is out for vengence against Varadkar and sensing the typical FG catholic loony right wing conservative vote, he knows he can deliver a body blow against Varadkar by screwing over his abortion plans.
N.B. disclaimer I personally hate and despise Fine Gael and hypocrites like Varadkar and Coveney
No chance its actually a stance based on his moral and ethical values, so?

Massey

FF and FG can now claim to be pro and anti repeal.
Cork has a pro repeal Finna Failer, and a anti abortion fianna gaeler!

The old firm has all bases covered.

Sync

FF and FG can now claim to be pro and anti repeal.
Cork has a pro repeal Finna Failer, and a anti abortion fianna gaeler!

The old firm has all bases covered.

Unless you really get Renua/Libertas resurfacing and making progress, there’s not much direct political capital to be enjoyed here for anyone. There’s nowhere for disaffected people to go to. The softer capital is that FG will (reasonably) paint themselves as the party of moderate social activism who can and have actually delivered change.

Catalpast

Great pic. Leo looks like one of those English judges of yore about to pass sentence on some wretch.

I’d like to think their differences are genuinely held, though.
Certainly that visage portrays an Appalling Vista.....:?

Maybe Coveney is playing the Long Game here

- or maybe he realises that his latest 'change of heart' has gone down not as a Fudge

- but a Funk...:oops:

He needs to pick up his balls, fire that cannon and take that Risk

- if he ever wants to be Master of the Battlefield....

gooner

I don't see any rivalry here.

They have different views, although I question Leo's change of mind considering the amount of videos that have popped up from recent years showing him to be adamantly pro-life. Just like Martin, I don't buy it as genuine.

I don't understand Coveney's stance at all with being in favour of repeal but against the 12 weeks unrestricted.

Nevertheless there is a freedom to position themselves as they wish. As a result there were going to be differing views that had to be accepted.

My only criticism on this is it should have been no different for the POLDPA.

I think politicians just want this issue out of the way one way or the other. Many don't want to deal with it and I think that is for TDs with opinions on both sides. In fairness, I can understand it to a degree. It's a nightmare to discuss and take a position on, but when you do, you stand by what you believe in and be genuine on it. If you fall because of it, then so be it. It's what public life representation should be about. Don't compromise on your principles and be accountable on them. I'm not sure that is evident in Irish politics.

Whatever you think of Jacob Ress-Mogg, he goes on ITV and stands by his pro-life view even when presented with difficult questions. It's the same for many Republicans in the US. We couldn't even get an opinion out of Kenny and Martin before the last GE, while in the meantime, Leo holds back, Coveney is all over the place and Martin has "evolved" to the greater good.

Maranatha

Unless you really get Renua/Libertas resurfacing and making progress, there’s not much direct political capital to be enjoyed here for anyone. There’s nowhere for disaffected people to go to. The softer capital is that FG will (reasonably) paint themselves as the party of moderate social activism who can and have actually delivered change.
There's nothing moderate about pushing "homosexual" marriage. Also, proposing abortion on demand is a Marxist/Communist belief to the core.. nothing moderate there either.

statsman

I see someone gave the sock drawer a good shake.

As for the OP; it reads like FF wishful thinking. Now we may not have had enough of experts, but we've certainly had enough of FF wishful thinking.

New Threads

Most Replies