Fine Gael's Irish language policy

DJP

I don't think even if, which is not hard, Joe McHugh has a good (or reasonably good) level of Irish pretty soon that he will ever understand muintir na Gaeltachta in his own county. He is too much of a nerd (like all Fine Gael politicians) and he would already be speaking the language if he wasn't especially knowing for a good while now that he is going to be trying to represent Donegal gaeilgeoirí across his county from the next general election. He obviously doesn't yet understand the joy it is to speak Irish particularly to native Irish speakers from the Gaeltacht and I will need convincing that he does even taking for that he should soon be able to talk to them.

dent

I don't think even if, which is not hard, Joe McHugh has a good (or reasonably good) level of Irish pretty soon that he will ever understand muintir na Gaeltachta in his own county. He is too much of a nerd (like all Fine Gael politicians) and he would already be speaking the language if he wasn't especially knowing for a good while now that he is going to be trying to represent Donegal gaeilgeoirí across his county from the next general election. He obviously doesn't yet understand the joy it is to speak Irish particularly to native Irish speakers from the Gaeltacht and I will need convincing that he does even taking for that he should soon be able to talk to them.
Gaelgoirí snobbery is alive and well ! :) I'm sure they'll all settle down if he can turn up with a few extra grants.

ergo2

I have heard many politicians, including FGers, called many things, but that is the first time I have heard any of them called a "nerd". Why so?

I think the two new Ministers should each spend some time in a gaeltacht this summer. A spot of total immersion will turn a passive vocab into an active one. Assuming they have some ability and enthusiasm for the project they will be able to get up to speed quickly.

Mushroom

A quick ceistín for the members of the gaelgeoir glee club: if there was a Minister for Sewage, would youse all expect him to talk sh1te?

Last edited:

wombat

A quick ceistín for the members of the gaelgeoir glee club: there was a Minister for Sewage, would youse all expect him to talk sh1te?
No problem, its the first language of all TDs:lol:

DJP

I have heard many politicians, including FGers, called many things, but that is the first time I have heard any of them called a "nerd". Why so?

I think the two new Ministers should each spend some time in a gaeltacht this summer. A spot of total immersion will turn a passive vocab into an active one. Assuming they have some ability and enthusiasm for the project they will be able to get up to speed quickly.
Speaking Irish is not a project unless you are a careerist and it comes with the job therby showing that you don't love the language in itself. Does Joe McHugh like speaking Irish? I have never seen or heard of him on the Irish language media until yesterday on RnaG or mentioned in Irish language or Gaeltacht circles until he got the job. I look forward to finding out if he actually likes speaking the language.

New Threads

Most Replies