Fine Gael's wasted opportunities

Disillusioned democrat

So FG are back in government and clinging on to a false sense of power, despite being there purely as long as it suits FF to have them do their dirty work.

I imagine FF will make FG bury themselves deep so that once they're gone they'll be gone for a long time.

6 years ago I genuinely welcomed what appeared to be a new approach to politics - despite a little cringe, I actually welcomed Kenny's "Paddy wants to know" speech as a sign of a new dawn brought about based on the dire straits our country faced

Man, was I wrong!!!

Within weeks the cap on advisers' salaries was breached and that was pretty much a sign of things to come over the next 5 years.

FG had motive and means to actually make Ireland a fair and competitive country, but found its inner Hugh McElvaney very quickly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cwi7j997c.

So, the greatest publicly owned property portfolio was pissed away, reform in the public sector was ignored, the "professional" classes continued to thrive on state contracts, tribunal findings were ignored and now we're heading back into the bust to boom cycle that will inevitably end in another bust as FG hands the reins back to FF.

The fiasco around Irish Water was the one that most typified FG's wasted 5 years for me...I'm curious to know what other people believe to be their worst failure.

off with their heads

Finian McGrath cut a disgusting figure there smiling beside endless Kenny in the dail today

Mad as Fish

From a PR point of view:

Phil Hogan, followed at some distance by
James Reilly
And you demonstrate one of their biggest failings yet, thinking that PR is any sort of substitute for proper government of the people, for the people, by the people.

flavirostris

FG returned the country to solvency but their PR & optics were utter shít. They somehow wound up as the party who are waging a war on the lower classes and looking after the wealthy, neither of which is true.

FF on the other hand had superb PR but put the country into the arms of the IMF.

cozzy121

FG have managed to rehabilitate FF the political equivalent of shooting themselves in both feet and following it up with a bit of castration.
Is it some sort of Opes Dei (self flagellation) thing?

off with their heads

Hopefully it falls quickly and fine gael are forced to go into the election with EK as leader :D

Mister men

There has been so many failings it's hard to choose but if I had to it would their total and utter failure to get the banksters debt off the back of our citizens.

Erudite Caveman

So FG are back in government and clinging on to a false sense of power, despite being there purely as long as it suits FF to have them do their dirty work.

I imagine FF will make FG bury themselves deep so that once they're gone they'll be gone for a long time.

6 years ago I genuinely welcomed what appeared to be a new approach to politics - despite a little cringe, I actually welcomed Kenny's "Paddy wants to know" speech as a sign of a new dawn brought about based on the dire straits our country faced

Man, was I wrong!!!

Within weeks the cap on advisers' salaries was breached and that was pretty much a sign of things to come over the next 5 years.

FG had motive and means to actually make Ireland a fair and competitive country, but found its inner Hugh McElvaney very quickly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cwi7j997c.

So, the greatest publicly owned property portfolio was pissed away, reform in the public sector was ignored, the "professional" classes continued to thrive on state contracts, tribunal findings were ignored and now we're heading back into the bust to boom cycle that will inevitably end in another bust as FG hands the reins back to FF.

The fiasco around Irish Water was the one that most typified FG's wasted 5 years for me...I'm curious to know what other people believe to be their worst failure.
You knew little about the realities of politics six years ago, as you freely admit.

You may have learned something, but still know little about politics if you think the bit in bold is true.

What you call 'fair' is considered 'unfair' by someone else. And regarding the motive, no political party or politician will choose to sacrifice itself to introduce reforms that are massively unpopular. Except Jeremy Corbyn's Even Newer Labour. They might even manage to sacrifice themselves while in opposition, which would be an achievement.

FG took the eye off the ball on the water charges once they had got the property tax across the line, thinking it could be left to the likes of Tierney. Massive mistake. While IW is now beginning to get to grips with the infrastructure deficit in a way that the local authorities never did, there was an excessive up front cost in terms of political capital and public money.

But given where we were in 2011 when they took over, it is a testament to the job that they (Noonan, Howlin etc..) did, that we have the luxury of focusing on IW as the big disaster. Unemployment situation has gone from 80's style to 90's, public finances have been stablised, and there is an air of normality in the country that is a massive contrast to pre- 2011.

In a nutshell, they got the big ticket items right, mixed bag regarding the medium ones, and you'll never get people to come to a consensus regarding the small things.

Spanner Island

Man, was I wrong!!!

Eh... I think you've done this to death now...

Groundhog day... :roll:

Nothing enlightening or new in your OP at all...

Dasayev

Noonan doesn't get his fair share of the blame for Fine Gael's woes.

After leading them nowhere in 2002 with poorly thought out financial promises, he should never have been given the role of Minister of Finance in 2011 - it should have gone to a younger person for a fresh start.

More financial promises at the last election only undermined Fine Gael's record on the economy.

flavirostris

Noonan doesn't get his fair share of the blame for Fine Gael's woes.

After leading them nowhere in 2002 with poorly thought out financial promises, he should never have been given the role of Minister of Finance in 2011 - it should have gone to a younger person for a fresh start.

More financial promises at the last election only undermined Fine Gael's record on the economy.
Would disagree with that strongly. Of anybody in FG, Michael Noonan should be blamed the least for the sorry situation they have got themselves into. His record on the economy has been absolutely solid since he took over in 2011 and he was the key man steering us back to solvency.

Baldy will go down as one of the best Irish finance ministers in history. Hogan & Reilly became lightning rods for public dissatisfaction.

Dasayev

Would disagree with that strongly. Of anybody in FG, Michael Noonan should be blamed the least for the sorry situation they have got themselves into. His record on the economy has been absolutely solid since he took over in 2011 and he was the key man steering us back to solvency.

Baldy will go down as one of the best Irish finance ministers in history. Hogan & Reilly became lightning rods for public dissatisfaction.

Hogan, Shatter and Reilly did do a lot of damage, but Noonan's performance during the recent election was not good. He was back to making promises that few believed in.

greengoose2

Please tell us you are joking!

flavirostris

Please tell us you are joking!
How would you rate the economy today compared to when Noonan took over,

I don't expect a serious answer since you're one of the most abusive loons on the site.

JCR

Well they have failed to address the FF PR machine that still exits by default in this country because the old dumb paddy line of "they're all the same" suits FF above everyone else.
People again seem to have forgotten how FF operate.

Most of what FG have done wrong is simply PR. Well that and failing in the PR stakes again on trying to get paddy to have an infrastructure that is civilised.

HarshBuzz

They missed the opportunity to go down the same road as the Greeks with Syriza...oh wait.

If you measure the 2011-2016 Government, you should take into account that they had one overriding objective: Don't Let The Country Go Broke.
By any objective measurement they achieved that.

Any failure to realise other opportunities must be considered in the light of that success.

Civic_critic2

What are you all talking about? The country is being run on credit, it has essentially been bought out and is now being managed, by these 'great' politicians and their 'great' policies. It's like saying that Syriza are brilliant because they helped to manage the complete fking over of their people.

Unemployment is down because we have lost several hundred thousand people over the last couple of years through emigration. Billions have been taken from the people through NAMA in corrupt deals. Shelter has been made unaffordable in order to harden the balance sheets of the bank. Bosco could have stepped into this situation and become a manager for the IMF, EU and ECB and done exactly the same job. Or FF. Such 'great' politicians.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies