• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fines Bill, common sense at last.

amsterdemmetje

I see they have put in the obligatory could end up been taken out of your wages.Why do we have to fanny about and do everything half arsed. Just do it all ready and while their at it, anyone on welfare who's a serial anti social offender should have fines deducted from their dole like they do in Finland . Will that ever happen , will it fup.

cricket

I see they have put in the obligatory could end up been taken out of your wages.Why do we have to fanny about and do everything half arsed. Just do it all ready and while their at it, anyone on welfare who's a serial anti social offender should have fines deducted from their dole like they do in Finland . Will that ever happen , will it fup.
I'd like to be able to see the number of people in prison for nonpayment of fines/debts at any one time. If no longer necessary, would we need the current prison building programme ?

statsman

Why put the onus on the employer to collect fines?

shenana

This bill should have been made law years ago. Except in the most extreme of cases, nobody should be put in jail over nonpayment of fines or debts that are recoverable.
Government approves final draft of Fines Bill - RT News
That'll finally curtail power hungry and heroic Garda in our community who does not know the different between civil and criminal interference in the enforcement order sections. petunia

I got taken to cork prison before run sirens after before i was saved by the prison governor and spent xmas and new year with my family. petunia

borntorum

It's a myth that the prisons are full of fine defaulters. Our prison system is overcrowded anyway, most if not all defaulters are processed through prison and are let out again a few hours after.

This seems to be a sensible proposal

statsman

That'll finally curtail power hungry and heroic Garda in our community who does not know the different between civil and criminal interference in the enforcement order sections. petunia

I got taken to cork prison before run sirens after before i was saved by the prison governor and spent xmas and new year with my family. petunia
We'll never forgive him.

Diawlbach

This is the key for the Household and Property charges. Garnishees of the fines for non-payment.

shenana

We'll never forgive him.
Oh no, am not like that please, this new government has saved many thing to curtail future litigation's on the state by changing the law and the law will change people's attitude.

Rocky

Much needed legalisation and well done to Shatter once again.

It will keep people who don't pay out of jail and it will make it easier for the state to collect the money it's owed. Win win really and putting people in Jail costs the state money, so it will save money there too.

amsterdemmetje

Why put the onus on the employer to collect fines?
To be honest with you, i can never see that happening .
As for taking money for fines from seres anti-social serial offenders from their dole, that wont happen either, as we will have the likes of Fr Sean Healy crying foul.I believe that those who terrorize their decent neighbors day in day out, who receive benefits of all sorts should be be punished by having those benefits cut in some way . Nothing else seems to stop them ripping community's apart .Theres not a town in this country which is not affected by some people who live and breath off the state and receive nothing but verbals and wrist slaps when they constantly break the law. Taking some of the tax payers money out of their pocket may go some way in making them think twice before they engage in said activity.

Analyzer

A bit over the top, considering some of the nature of the justification provided for some fines.

Driving 42kmph in a 40 zone ? (some of the zones are a bit ridiculous).

kryton101

its another tiny step in the right direction.

Our entire justice system is in effect an inability to understand human behaviour. We dont yet fully understand why people do things like commit 'crime' so we instead lock people in cages after the action has taken place. Since the justice meets jail system was established over 700 years ago there has been no real effort to better understand human behaviour.

It costs (in ireland) around €80,000 a year to keep a person in jail.

With the exception of violent crime its generally much cheaper to give people what they want then lock them up. It teaches them nothing and they wont come out a 'better' person for it.

As a (primitive) society we are like most other western countries obsessed with punishment and making people pay by locking them in cages.

I've yet to see any rational proposals to address social structures and behaviour and education as a way to tackle these problems in any meaningful way.

Last edited: