• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Finian McGrath Wants To Undo The Indoor Smoking Ban

automaticforthepeople

Finian Watch. Gold at the end of the rainbow, Goldleaf that is!

Week 2 into office and Minister Finian is playing a blinder at being Finian. Last week he had a phone conversation with the Attorney General as to whether or not he should pay his his domestic utility bills.

This week our Junior Minister for Health feels that smoking ain't so bad anymore for bar workers and there should be a relaxation on the smoking ban. Cough Cough! Is it time for him to ring the Attorney General and ask her what causes lung cancer and why the state has such a strong interest in the recent judgement concerning plain packaging for cigarettes?

New junior health minister wants designated smoking areas in pubs and bars - Independent.ie

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Finian Watch. Gold at the end of the rainbow, Goldleaf that is!" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

Bea C

Week 2 into office and Minister Finian is playing a blinder at being Finian. Last week he had a phone conversation with the Attorney General as to whether or not he should pay his his domestic utility bills.

This week our Junior Minister for Health feels that smoking ain't so bad anymore for bar workers and there should be a relaxation on the smoking ban. Cough Cough! Is it time for him to ring the Attorney General and ask her what causes lung cancer and why the state has such a strong interest in the recent judgement concerning plain packaging for cigarettes?

New junior health minister wants designated smoking areas in pubs and bars - Independent.ie
I was reading that in the SBP earlier.
I dunno where he thinks he's going with that one :roll:

Boy M5

That's crazy.

Boy M5

I was reading that in the SBP earlier.
I dunno where he thinks he's going with that one :roll:
I missed it, always start from their opinion pages.

Mrwoody

A junior health minister that smokes and has no shame in telling every body he smokes only in little old Ireland.

ger12

I didn't see the independents damaging FG and helping FF like this. Who'd have thought.

Independents will be out on their ear next time. More fool me for giving the oddballs the nod.

drummed

I didn't see the independents damaging FG and helping FF like this. Who'd have thought.

Independents will be out on their ear next time. More fool me for giving the oddballs the nod.
You must have a complete list of oddballs supported at this stage? Greens/DOB/FG/Indos........the list is long.

General Urko

who is advising this genius, while he probably has extremely well paid advisors/programme managers paid for of course by us, I'd say Goldflake is very much his own man and nobody could really tell him anything!petunia

Windowshopper

Even if FG agreed (which they won't) to this it still wouldn't happen. The smoking ban is Martin's legacy.

reg11

Finian is bravely demonstrating some independence of thought which now seems to be a cardinal sin in Ireland, in spite of what following like sheep keeps demonstrating to us.

I can't see the harm in having a room for smokers to indulge their habit, it's totally unfair that it's otherwise.

enuffisenuff

automaticforthepeople

Finian is bravely demonstrating some independence of thought which now seems to be a cardinal sin in Ireland, in spite of what following like sheep keeps demonstrating to us.

I can't see the harm in having a room for smokers to indulge their habit, it's totally unfair that it's otherwise.
He's not demonstrating independent thought, he's once more demonstrating his ignorance of the law. The legislation prevents smoking in the workplace. You cannot make an exception for a public house as it happens to be a workplace for barworkers. The original case study cited in the incidence of lung cancer in non smoking bar workers and attributed it to passive smoking.

Independent thought is one I subscribe to and it's this; if Finian wants to puff his way to an early grave, he can do that independently and on his own. But why should he have the right to bring others called passive smokers prematurely with him? Lets not confuse independent thought with ignorance.

dresden8

Recently moved. Will have a chance to vote against this arshole.

Unfncking believable.

johnnypockets

Really? You do know it causes cancer among other things?

Orbit v2

On the clip where he said this stuff he made some reasonable points. Smokers are basically a soft touch. But, he went a bit 'off piste' then questioning the basic medical facts and that's what he's being piloried over. But, you're right. I think it's clear this cabinet is demonstrating quite a bit of 'independence of thought' :)

Plebian

It's a new Govt Health Initiative, a laugh a day keeps the Doctor away and Finian's new job is to act the clown.

tsarbomb

Fair play to him. Smokers have been targeted enough as it is. It is about time that stupid smoking ban is done away with or at least liberalized in the way he is suggesting. He's also right on the outrageous taxes on smokes here. Its just leading to people (ahem) to stock up on duty free or other sources (ahem).

greengoose2

Fair play to him. Smokers have been targeted enough as it is. It is about time that stupid smoking ban is done away with or at least liberalized in the way he is suggesting. He's also right on the outrageous taxes on smokes here. Its just leading to people (ahem) to stock up on duty free or other sources (ahem).
or even (ahem) giving up this (ahem) stupid, expensive habit (ahem)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies