• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Finnish postal provider initiates lawn-mowing service

farnaby

Finland’s postal service Posti has come up with a completely new service to create more revenues – mowing lawns.Weather permitting, postmen will offer the service on Tuesdays when they have the least mail to deliver, Posti said in a statement.
“We will pilot the service this summer throughout the country. The idea for the lawn mowing service came from mail delivery employees,” Posti said.
...in what Posti said was the start of its transformation into a home service provider.
Just over a month ago, Posti said it was axing nearly 700 of its 22,000 or so jobs.
Last year, the number of letters and other dispatches delivered by Posti in sparsely-inhabited Finland declined by 8%, causing revenues to fall by over 11%
How would this go down at An Post? Finland's postmen are now cutting grass

"We can’t imagine this idea going down well at An Post" opines the Journal, probably correctly.

Impressive that this idea came from employees recognising the inevitable decline of their employer's business model. As we anticipate increasing industrial unrest here, this example should be used to encourage employers and employees to find productive ways to serve their customers or rather fellow citizens better.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Not in their remit and the unions would have a field day out of this. Are they qualified to manhandle mowing machines, what if it broke down, would they contact the express post division to fix it....Ireland cant do anything like this although I think this type of thinking is good.....blah blah we should adopt the Scandanavian model...right.

H+S issues.

Danger money.

Stress money.

Compensation claims due to:
Dog bites, hearing problems, internal injury due to vibration of mower, social media bullying etc.

stopdoingstuff

They should set up a joint venture with Teagasc to deliver weed.

farnaby

blokesbloke

To be absolutely fair to An Post employees, how many of you on here criticising them have ever done a job where your company was losing revenue and you've approached management and suggested you do an entirely different job instead to keep the company afloat?

I know I haven't.

Anybody?

Last edited:

Uganda

Not in their remit and the unions would have a field day out of this. Are they qualified to manhandle mowing machines, what if it broke down, would they contact the express post division to fix it....Ireland cant do anything like this although I think this type of thinking is good.....blah blah we should adopt the Scandanavian model...right.

H+S issues.

Danger money.

Stress money.

Dog bites, hearing problems, internal injury due to vibration of mower, social media bullying etc.
Not to talk about the 15 years or so spent on con-sull-thay-shuns.

SEAMAI

If they were offered a bit extra would they trim the bushes as well?

good dog

H+S issues.

Danger money.

Stress money.

And what it would cost! Like our electricity a lawn cutting regulator would need to be appointed and would find that the current cost of having ones lawn cut or indeed the cost of cutting it oneself is prohibitively low for others to join the market so prices would need to increase along with makeing it impossible for owner operators to cut their lawns, licences, ongoing courses, insurance, levies etc would mean you have to use on post lawn services. Of course they would also be heavily subsidised by the state.

good dog

To be absolutely fair to An Post employees, how many of you on here criticising them have ever done a job where you company was losing revenue and you've approached management and suggested you do an entirely different job instead to keep the company afloat?

I know I haven't.

Anybody?
The company that runs the Luas loses money. And what did the Luas drivers do to help?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
And what it would cost! Like our electricity a lawn cutting regulator would need to be appointed and would find that the current cost of having ones lawn cut or indeed the cost of cutting it oneself is prohibitively low for others to join the market so prices would need to increase along with makeing it impossible for owner operators to cut their lawns, licences, ongoing courses, insurance, levies etc would mean you have to use on post lawn services. Of course they would also be heavily subsidised by the state.
I see I am not the only cynical one around here....tis sad but so true...could anyone ever have thought that water would get us to where we are, but grass cutting, Jeez.

sondagefaux

To be absolutely fair to An Post employees, how many of you on here criticising them have ever done a job where you company was losing revenue and you've approached management and suggested you do an entirely different job instead to keep the company afloat?

I know I haven't.

Anybody?
Does telling your boss to go fúck himself count?

farnaby

I know I haven't.

Anybody?
It's a slightly different scenario - management requests ideas to counteract revenue loss; employees respond positively and imaginatively.

Another example is Mondragon Corporation, formed out of worker cooperatives in the Basque region. During Spain's recession the workers/owners voted on how to distribute wage cuts, with the result that few jobs were lost.

These are positive examples of employers and employees seeing their interests aligned rather than the tense, suspicious culture that dominates Irish (and UK) industrial relations.

SamsonS

The basic idea of better utilising resoucres makes sense.

For example many of our public buildings are underutilised, be in parish centres, schools etc.
Don't know if school bus transport is still largely under Bus Eireann, but remember 15 years ago or so the idea that the buses that brought children to school could also be used to address a rural transport deficit was seen as heretical. Probably still is!

beazlebottom

How would this go down at An Post? Finland's postmen are now cutting grass

"We can’t imagine this idea going down well at An Post" opines the Journal, probably correctly.

Impressive that this idea came from employees recognising the inevitable decline of their employer's business model. As we anticipate increasing industrial unrest here, this example should be used to encourage employers and employees to find productive ways to serve their customers or rather fellow citizens better.
Truly revolutionary - but it could never work here with the Comrades!

What next, you might have LUAS drivers proposing to drive trams, DART drivers suggesting they drive DARTs and Iarnrod Eireann workers proposing to drive trains.. No could never work here, might undermine the rights of the Workers.

stopdoingstuff

Did you ever deliver a package to a stranger while wearing a uniform?

ShoutingIsLeadership

I know I haven't.

Anybody?
Does telling the boss to go fnck himself, count as suggesting a different job?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies