Fintan O'Toole today

cricket

Makes really great sense , sorry , can't provide a link.
He mentions his own site , think it's www.fintano'toole , but I can't get onto it.

sic transit

Like the Greens Fintan O'Toole has tapped into one part of the Irish psyche; the sense of frustration and anger many of us feel. Yes we need reform and the more radical the better. I can't help feeling that I am reading lyrics left out of John Lennon's Imagine here. O'Toole is against anything that is contrary to his left leaning agenda. I don't much like the notion of a reduction in either the minimum wage or social welfare rates but I do recognise how the two are intertwined. As for the selection of non-political technical people, this is amusing given his dislike of unelected, faceless individuals. Who gets to choose them if no-one elects them and if we have a political vacuum?

The trouble is that like many of his ideas they do not have a solid enough foundation in the real world. As always he offers no real, concrete or logical solutions, beyond warm, fuzzy, comforting visions of people power. Sadly the "civic movement" as he calls it would be a magnet for the usual suspects that your average self-respecting middle class voter would not be seen dead with, and could easily end up as yet another strand of PBP(People Before Profit) or whatever your latest acronym is.

The banking fiasco is an absolute shame on all of those who ignored and promoted it; our own regulators, the EU and the ECB itself. Yet what he continually refuses to acknowledge is the danger of our banking cesspool to the whole EU and maybe beyond. There are also a not so insignificant number of EU banks tied into the mess. We have little choice at present but to address and fix the problem, however much it costs and how utterly unpleasant and abhorrent we find it.

He also fails to identify how we get to determine whether "the deal for the Irish people" is good enough. What does he propose to determine if this is the case? A referendum? How can we have a referendum if he's put a "non-political" administration in place? See Nice 1 & 2 and Lisbon 1 & 2 for our recent outings in referenda. And if not a referendum then what?

We really do not engage in politics. We may be half-interested where it affects us but as most of the discourse here and elsewhere shows, a lot of our own opinions are made by a handful of strident voices. It is in part these strident, miserable, self-righteous voices that has us reaching for visions of hope like those of O'Toole. Take a look across the Atlantic to see where hope will take you once reality takes a bite out of it. A little different perhaps but pretty much the same old scene.

Link is www.fintanotoole.ie and it's not working

NFD100

I for one, can't believe I am agreeing with Fintan O'Toole, but by God he is right on this one. Nothing will change unless there is radical political reform. The whole system needs cleansed....................... from the top down!

eyeSpy

We need a new party. Non of the existing have proposed electoral reform.
I want one TD const. and only 100 TDs.

I won't vote for any who promise the world but have no intention of changing the system
We need systems thinking.

NFD100

We need a new party. Non of the existing have proposed electoral reform.
I want one TD const. and only 100 TDs.

I won't vote for any who promise the world but have no intention of changing the system
We need systems thinking.

+ 1

Tomas Mor

Thought he was ok until he recommended Mary Robinson as one of trioka who should be running the country.

ellie08

Thought he was ok until he recommended Mary Robinson as one of trioka who should be running the country.
Yes. Terrible idea having someone who is so respected all over the world, intelligent, interested in human rights:rolleyes:

TradCat

Of course gender quotas will be part of his package. I hope we can support some proposals and not others. Surely he's not going to ask people to sign up to something designed exclusively by himself.

Put us a dozen or so ideas and ask the public to pick the ones they want to see introduced.

happycamper

Shame his site isn't up and running now - he builds up momentum with a piece like that (and all his recent media interviews i've heard recently) - and then a dead link :(

RadicalGranny

Election Reform

Time to dump the constituency politician. Let all elections be on a national basis - first 60 returned on a P.R. basis. By default the issues will also be national as local issues will be made redundant in the process. Canvassing can focus on old fashioned media such as local and national radio, but also on Twitter, Facebook etc. and on line forums. No need for ugly, wasteful posters.

I see it this way - either we'll get a March election with Enda finally getting his day in the sun and a chance to wade doggedly through the mire of FF's mistakes, with Noel Ahern etc sniggering from the opposition benches,

OR

We drive for more fundamental reform to change the political system at its root. This is what O' Toole is agitating for and I applaud him. I'm with him on the reduction of TD's, giving real power to local politicians and breaking the clientelism that has beset Irish politics for so long. To achieve this we will probably need mass protest and a kind of determination not yet demonstrated by the electorate.

I wonder what chance Saturday's protest will be joined by some of our nation's finest musicians, poets, writers, sportpeople etc.? (No Jim you can leave the guitar at home)

At this dark hour when the peasants are straining against their chains it would give massive encouragement to have the rally lead by even a few of our inspirational figures, people who lift us up and help us see the greatness of this beautiful isle.

I don't expect agreement on who's a great singer / poet / artist and doubt you'll find anyone towards whom some muck cannot be hurled but what about a show of solidarity and leadership from the likes of....

Franzoni

I wonder what chance Saturday's protest will be joined by some of our nation's finest musicians, poets, writers, sportpeople etc.? (No Jim you can leave the guitar at home)

At this dark hour when the peasants are straining against their chains it would give massive encouragement to have the rally lead by even a few of our inspirational figures, people who lift us up and help us see the greatness of this beautiful isle.

I don't expect agreement on who's a great singer / poet / artist and doubt you'll find anyone towards whom some muck cannot be hurled but what about a show of solidarity and leadership from the likes of....
Planxty geting back together for the day would be good... better and more inspirational than listening to Begg and O'Connor TBH

wicklowperson

When I read comments on Tin Tin O'toole as our solution I give up. His suggestion on the Frontline was total rubbish ... put Mary Robinson (who left her elected position to get a bigger UN job) Dan O'Brien to run Government.
Really are we totally mad, let us have an election and the people can decide, maybe O'Toole might get the " bottle" and stand for election so he can then start to change things. The last big media man George Lee made a big difference!!!

RahenyFG

Have Mary McAleese as caretaker taoiseach during General Election

The people must act or we will remain irrelevant - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 23, 2010

Having read this article in today's Irish Times where Fintan O' Toole speaks of a 'need a non-party technical administration to hold the fort while the people have their say on the four-year plan and on radical reform of our political system' made me think who else to take up the position of Taoiseach while a general election is going on than the President Mary McAleese. I know she is Fianna Fail which to an extent is not 'non-party' but she hasn't been involved in the disgrace that Fianna Fail cabinet members have brought to this country. Also some complicated changes to the constitution will have to be implemented quickly to allow for this. Let's hear your opinions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies