Fintin O'Tooles Petition now live!!

SKELLY

Fintin O'Toole's Petition now live!!

Sign the Petition | Fintan O'Toole

As a citizen of Ireland, I believe our existing political culture and institutions have failed to protect the public interest and the common good. I will not vote for any candidate who is not committed to radical reform, including (though not confined to) the following ten measures:

1. SHARE THE PAIN
No one paid from the public purse should earn more than €100,000 during the period of the emergency.

2. PUT THE PARISH PUMP BACK IN THE PARISH
Real local democracy, paid for by local taxes, and using direct democracy at every level, must be established.

3. END CLIENTILISM
Change the electoral system that turns TDs into constituency fixers. Replace it with a mix of direct election and a list system similar to that used for the Scottish parliament.

4. CUT THE FAT
Reduce the Dail to 100 members. Either transform the Senate within 12 months into a genuine forum for civic society or abolish it.

5. MAKE PARLIAMENT WORK.
Stop the use of the guillotine system to pass laws that have not been scrutinised. Give Dail committees the powers to examine proposals for spending before it happens and to hold those who spend public money accountable. Make senior public servants responsible for their decisions and actions.

6. BRING WOMEN INTO POLITICS
Cut public subsidies to political parties unless at least 30 per cent of their candidates are female.

7. END IMPUNITY
Conduct an urgent review of company law to ensure that white collar criminals are brought to justice.

8. GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS
Ban all significant private donations to political parties. Make parties publish annual accounts. Register and control lobbyists. Protect whistleblowers.

9. RESTORE THE RIGHT TO KNOW
Bring back the original Freedom of Information Act.

10. NO MORE CRONYISM
Make all appointments to State and public bodies open to public competition and Dail scrutiny. Ban any individual from being a director of more than three companies or public bodies.
If you agree sign it.
Its not perfect put its a start.

I know some of it is abit hairy fairy but i want the list system and direct elections so i signed up.
Spread the link far and wide guys, twitter, facebook, emails etc.
A ground swell of support might begin to take shape and we might be rid of this FG,FF civil war politics once and for all.

Last edited:

Holy Cow

If Fintan really cared about Ireland he would be giving his book away for free as a download or just on a website.

How do we know all of this is not about increasing book sales?

BlackLion

he looks like a weasel and probably acts like one as well. he's doing this more for himself than Ireland.

RightCentreLeft

If Fintan really cared about Ireland he would be giving his book away for free as a download or just on a website.

How do we know all of this is not about increasing book sales?
+1.

He is just another pontificator like Begg and O'Connor. Im sick of people on huge salaries pretending to know how ordinary people feel.

This is the reason i have huge respect for people - even if I dont agree with all their views- like Joe Higgins who live as they preach.

wicklowperson

We are totally mad to be putting any faith in this man. His ideas are off the wall and only being said to be popular.
We will never save Ireland with this type of rubbish , how much of his "fat Irish Times "salary will he hand back?
Its the same way as the people are pouring out their hearts on the Joe Duffy Show while he brings his big RTE salary to the bank.
These guys are as bad as Fianna Fail Government ministers and when are we going to wake up?

Legacy

Thanks Skelly. I was just about to start a thread on this myself. Have signed the petition. Every little helps as they say..

Also for those on twitter, Brian Lucey has just tweeted 'how soon can we get Fintan to 10k followers?' Fintan has just joined twitter. His tag is @fotoole

Rocky

Shocking how much of it is Fine Gael policy or close to Fine Gael policy. 4,5, 9 and 10 have basically been nicked straight from Fine Gael.

Number 2 and 3 are too vague though and I strongly disagree with number 6, so I won't be signing it, but the rest I largely agree with.

BlackLion

And your doing what? apart from sniping on a website!

Lions have a heart
unlike you I am not so easily sweeped up with sweet nothings in my ear.
weak minded people always get stepped on.

Beware of the greeks baring gifts. or in this case the geeks.

hiding behind a poster

Shocking how much of it is Fine Gael policy or close to Fine Gael policy. 4,5, 9 and 10 have basically been nicked straight from Fine Gael.
Yes, but O'Toole is far too smug to sully himself by admitting that.

Congalltee

Number 2 and 3 are too vague though and I strongly disagree with number 6, so I won't be signing it, but the rest I largely agree with.
You won't sign it because of this? (It is like a closet FF'er saying "I would vote FG if it wasn't for Enda Kenny..etc".
Pathetic.

6. BRING WOMEN INTO POLITICS
Cut public subsidies to political parties unless at least 30 per cent of their candidates are female.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies