Firemen fined for shining torch at 'doggers'

badinage

A fire brigade crew in Bristol shined a torch at bushes at a notorious 'dogging' spot one night on the way back to their station. Four individuals were in the bushes, and one went on to make a formal complaint to the fire service.

The firemen were suspended for 3 months pending an investigation, then two were fined £1,000 and a third was demoted a rank.

Story here

But one of the 'doggers' complained to Avon Fire and Rescue, ultimately accusing the four-man crew of being homophobic.

The firemen, who have 26 years of service between them, were then suspended on full pay for three months during an internal investigation.

Yesterday it emerged that two have been fined £1,000 each, another demoted to a rank which will see him forfeit a similar amount of money, while a fourth has received a stern written warning.
'Dogging' is illegal. Shining a torch at people engaged in dogging isn't illegal. Taking into account that no action has been taken against the individual who made the complaint, is this a ludicrous example of 'political correctness gone mad', or is a £1,000 fine an appropriate punishment for harassing random people while on duty?

badinage said:
'Dogging' is illegal. Shining a torch at people engaged in dogging isn't illegal. Taking into account that no action has been taken against the individual who made the complaint, is this a ludicrous example of 'political correctness gone mad', or is a £1,000 fine an appropriate punishment for harassing random people while on duty?
imho, it's a pc thing and to be honest, I couldn't give a high altitude passionate embrace about the pc brigade. They have may be broke the regulations regarding the inapropriate use of fire service equipment but shining a torch is hardly criminal. What a total waste of time. Anyway, I'm sure that it was all just some sort of misunderstanding after they heard someone in the bushes calling something out about a firemans helmet.

all lower case

paddyahern said:
if someone shined a torch on u while u were on the shitter would u not be pissed?
paddy, i think you need to google the term 'dogging'. :lol:

Armchair Activist

whats "dogging"??? I guessing its a term homosexuals use to describe their acts of "expression of love"

Bogwarrior

Isn't it "shone" a torch?

paddyahern

all lower case said:
paddyahern said:
if someone shined a torch on u while u were on the shitter would u not be pissed?
paddy, i think you need to google the term 'dogging'. :lol:
I know what dogging is, it's an intimate act you wouldn't want you're neighbours to see u do. Similar to having a shit.

The OD

I think (and in light of the death of the firemen here in Bray recently), that its obvious the action that needs to be taken now - death to all homosexuals!

Stick 'em in a concentration camp and gas them!

Because, if we are honest with ourselves, this is quite possibley the mindset of the average daily mail reader.

That'll teach them nosey firemen to go around shining torches where they shouldnt - the facts are unknown at the moment, but I am guessing that they didnt just 'shine a torch' but got up to some sort of thomfoolery whilst they were at it - all the while supposed to be on duty.

Maybe they didnt, but lets face it - does anyone expect the daily mail to give us anything but a story slanted to suit there readership.

Utter, utter b****x.

Bogwarrior

lostexpectation said:
its sex with random strangers in an outdoor place isnt it, getting suspended from your job for that is harsh
I was under the impression "dogging" was having sex in public with people watching. Voyeurism. Not in front of firemen obviously, I mean that's just sick.

Bobb

Bogwarrior said:
I was under the impression "dogging" was having sex in public with people watching.
Gee, that's rough....Hope you don't pop up in a blue movie sometime :p

Insider2007

Armchair Activist said:
whats "dogging"??? I guessing its a term homosexuals use to describe their acts of "expression of love"
Dogging is term used in these islands to mean heterosexual sex in public, often in cars or in parks. Another term is used to refer to gay sex.

CookieMonster

Why did they shine the torch on the bushes in the first place?

hiding behind a poster

I found the use of the phrase "internal investigation" in the initial report particularly amusing. :lol:

Ard-Taoiseach

hiding behind a poster said:
I found the use of the phrase "internal investigation" in the initial report particularly amusing. :lol:
Will they be looking into all avenues of inquiry?

CookieMonster

Ard-Taoiseach said:
[quote="hiding behind a poster":2qru666f]I found the use of the phrase "internal investigation" in the initial report particularly amusing. :lol:
Will they be looking into all avenues of inquiry?[/quote:2qru666f]
Penetrating deeply into the evidence, no doubt.

Ard-Taoiseach

CookieMonster said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
[quote="hiding behind a poster":3hr37fy7]I found the use of the phrase "internal investigation" in the initial report particularly amusing. :lol:
Will they be looking into all avenues of inquiry?
Penetrating deeply into the evidence, no doubt.[/quote:3hr37fy7]

And weighing up all the evidence, with an intention to get to the point.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies