Fireperson Sam? How I've Been Impacted by Gender Stereotypes in Kiddies' Cartoons

Bea C

Spotted this story this morning: Lincolnshire chief fire officer (not fire man!!!) has binned Fireman Sam, as he was a negative role model who made girls feel bad ourselves.
Or something.

When will Mary Poppins be remade?

Dearghoul

Heard it on the radio.

He's to be replaced by a bevy of differently coloured fire extinguishers of various ethnicities, of whom half are to be female.

This will make girls feel good.

Bea C

Heard it on the radio.

He's to be replaced by a bevy of differently coloured fire extinguishers of various ethnicities, of whom half are to be female.

This will make girls feel good.
I always would have clung to the delusion that the reason that I never became a fireperson was because I didn't want to go into buildings that were on fire, but now I know the truth: societal dogmas broke me down.

tsarbomb

All present and correct!

What was the name of that crazy little chap who wanted to start all those fires?

silverharp

Fireman Sam was a paid up member of the Partriarchy , he needs to be Cancelled!

rainmaker

Administrator
Spotted this story this morning: Lincolnshire chief fire officer (not fire man!!!) has binned Fireman Sam, as he was a negative role model who made girls feel bad ourselves.
Or something.
In the name of balance:
Female firefighters prove they exist to little girl
Female firefighters have posted pictures of themselves on social media after a four-year-old girl said she thought only men could sign up.

Hannah Summers from London tweeted how her daughter Esme wished she was a boy so she could be a firefighter, as she only saw firemen in the books she read.

She said: "My four-year-old came home yesterday saying she wished she was a boy so she could be a fireman.

"When I said 'girls can be firefighters too', she said 'but I've seen in books they are all boys and I don't want to be the only girl'."
And lets not forget there was a recent thread on here with more than a few posters declaring women should not be police officers, soldiers or firefighters.

Proving those attitudes are still prevalent among a minority.

Watcher2

In the name of balance:

And lets not forget there was a recent thread on here with more than a few posters declaring women should not be police officers, soldiers or firefighters.

if its the same thread i'm thinking of, i believe the discussion was around women not being allowed in those professions unless they could pass the same tests as the male candidates. but maybe you saw the one or two nutters that tend to linger on these pages, rather than the majority.

as for your anecdote about the four year old, so what? she has plenty years to realise the truth. why did her parents not put her right and then not make a big deal of it? have they told her that santa clause is not real?

A Voice

I always would have clung to the delusion that the reason that I never became a fireperson was because I didn't want to go into buildings that were on fire, but now I know the truth: societal dogmas broke me down.
It has been known by normal people for a long time that women are much too smart to do most of the work men do. Cold, hot, wet, dark, dangerous work - leave it to the men.

However, SJW super heroes have an entirely different take on things and will make us see it all their way soon, or something . . .

Enoch Root

I have essentially one issue with this type of thing, and that it's demeaning because it's patronising.

Are we to presume that people are so formless and lacking in the ability to distinguish between a children's animation and the reality that firefighters, police officers, nurses and child-caters can be men, women, white, PoC, gay, straight etc.

The problem with "sjw"s, as their opponents call them (amongst more insulting terms) is not that there aren't inequalities to balance out, but that they can't balance our equality by treating anyone outside of their "woke" peers as unthinking imbeciles.

Betson

In the name of balance:

Not the most important story of the day but was listening on radio today and seemingly the Fireman Sam cartoon has female , black and disabled firefighters on it. it could not be more reflective of the population at large.

The Fire chief who made this decision is rightly getting ridiculed from all sides , with a lot of female callers calling it extremely patronizing and absolutely barmy.

rainmaker

Administrator
Not the most important story of the day but was listening on radio today and seemingly the Fireman Sam cartoon has female , black and disabled firefighters on it. it could not be more reflective of the population at large.

The Fire chief who made this decision is rightly getting ridiculed from all sides , with a lot of female callers calling it extremely patronizing and absolutely barmy.
I was responding to the tone of the thread rather the comments of the officer.

toughbutfair

Don’t forget Postman pat, that koont walking around , as a man, spreading his toxic masculinity by putting his letters into his neighbours’ letterboxes which is clearly a euphemism. Will somebody think of the children?

McTell

Twitter
No
Some women fantasise about being rescued by a fireMan in his uniform.

He is super fit and the uniform has shiny buttons. We can guess the rest.

Dame_Enda

Ridiculous. Postman Pat will be next.

silverharp

Ridiculous. Postman Pat will be next.
its kind of weird, women own professions like teaching, nursing, childcare, yet this story has bubbled up because the majority of firemen aren't women. If all the indignation was to be added up at least 3/4 of the workforce would need to be women to keep all the feminists happy

New Threads

Most Replies