First CofI secondary school since the foundation of the state opnes. A backward step?

GrainneDee

I thought the government was committed to building more non-denominational schools to counteract the voluntary denominational sector? If only 20% of the students are CofI, what's the point?

"The first voluntary Church of Ireland secondary school to be established since the foundation of the State has been officially opened by Taoiseach Enda Kenny.
While Temple Carrig School in Greystones, Co Wicklow operates under the patronage of a minority faith, the school management say its provides education to the entire community.
Just 20 per cent of students are from a Church of Ireland background, while the majority are Roman Catholic (60 per cent). The remainder are from a variety of different faiths and beliefs.
Gareth Fennell, chair of Temple Carrig’s board of management, said the school was bucking a wider trend of a move away from denominational education."

First Church of Ireland secondary school since State

gerhard dengler

If people want to form a school based on a system/ethos of their own beliefs, or on non-belief, they should be allowed to do so.

wombat

The purpose of the CoI school is to provide a school that parents want and there are enough in the area to make it viable. What's the problem?

The purpose of the CoI school is to provide a school that parents want and there are enough in the area to make it viable. What's the problem?
There is none at all so long as they are self funding and adhere to the requirements of the DoE or whatever they call themsleves these days.

silverharp

bad move, the last thing we want are Muslim schools setting up. I assumed the educate together was a way of putting future muslim schools on the long finger, this sends out the wrong message

talkingshop

There is none at all so long as they are self funding and adhere to the requirements of the DoE or whatever they call themsleves these days.
It will be funded by the state like other secondary schools I assume.

loner

Great news particularly to Catholic old guys like me who remember when you were bound under pain of sin not to enter a Protestant Chuhch--when some Catholics blessed themselves passing a Protestant Church and when politicians hadnt the guts to enter a Protest Church to attend a service at the funeral of Douglas Hyde President of this so called Republic

talkingshop

I thought the government was committed to building more non-denominational schools to counteract the voluntary denominational sector? If only 20% of the students are CofI, what's the point?

"The first voluntary Church of Ireland secondary school to be established since the foundation of the State has been officially opened by Taoiseach Enda Kenny.
While Temple Carrig School in Greystones, Co Wicklow operates under the patronage of a minority faith, the school management say its provides education to the entire community.
Just 20 per cent of students are from a Church of Ireland background, while the majority are Roman Catholic (60 per cent). The remainder are from a variety of different faiths and beliefs.
Gareth Fennell, chair of Temple Carrig’s board of management, said the school was bucking a wider trend of a move away from denominational education."

First Church of Ireland secondary school since State
But there are other protestant secondary schools? Were they all there since before the foundation of the state??

loner

bad move, the last thing we want are Muslim schools setting up. I assumed the educate together was a way of putting future muslim schools on the long finger, this sends out the wrong message
Pray tell us what is wrong with Muslims/

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The only way of preventing muslim schools is by preventing denominational schools.

silverharp

Pray tell us what is wrong with Muslims/
they need to integrate with Irish kids, not be herded off and focusing on why the rest of us are haram, learning to hate jews and what not

4horsemen

If people want to form a school based on a system/ethos of their own beliefs, or on non-belief, they should be allowed to do so.
As a republican and a democrat I do not think 'madrasas' have a place in State funded education.

talkingshop

they need to integrate with Irish kids, not be herded off and focusing on why the rest of us are haram, learning to hate jews and what not
There are only one or 2 Muslim schools (primary) in the country I think. Muslims are quite happy with Catholic schools, I believe, especially convent secondary schools for their daughters.

gerhard dengler

As a republican and a democrat I do not think 'madrasas' have a place in State funded education.
As a "democrat" you want to ignore instead the wishes of the people founding that school.

A statist and a democrat are two different things.

Appleby

That would include "secular" schools paying the entire set up and running costs themselves too, I take it?
The answer will be "no" because Irish lefties are under the impression that this is a secular state with total separation between Church and State. They just haven't bothered asking anyone if they agree or want that etc.

New Threads