• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

First FG Candidate Declares in Kildare South

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Chair of Athy Town Council, Cllr. Richard Daly last night announced his intention to seek a Fine Gael nomination for election to the 30th Dáil.

Speaking at a meeting of the Kildare South Constituency Executive he said the following: "Fianna Fáil have had the advantage of an extra seat in Kildare since the last election but they have not progressed the agenda for which they sought that mandate. Health, education, infrastructure and public safety are all areas which have been neglected despite a phenomenal tax take. If they can't live up to their promises in times of plenty, what hope for the county and the country as resources begin to decline? I have had enough of the neglect and lack of social conscience of this government and will fight to remove their wasted majority in South Kildare"

I'm delighted that Richard has deicded to put his name forward. He has been doing Trojan work in the Athy area since his election in last year's locals, and he will make a great general election candidate.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
NGTR said:
When is the Selection Convention? Will it be a 1/2 candidate strategy, whats Daly's profile like outside of Athy
No date as yet for the convention, but the Election Strategy Committee should be meeting soon to come up with dates and also to recommend a number of candidates to HQ. I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002.

Richard gets lots of airtime on local radio so he certainly has some profile beyond his Athy base, and he has been commenting on issues that affect the entire county rather than just Athy issues. Whatever happens, he will certainly succeed in bringing a lot of votes in from the south of the county, and hopefully a good chunk of the John Dardis votes that were secured by 'diminished honesty' about the M9 route.

TheChief

aodh_rua said:
I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002
Surely you don't consider 2002 to have been a 2-candidate strategy?!
Given the......erm......."performance" .....of Col. Rainsford Hendy :wink:

Casualbets

If Daly runs, he won't be challenging for a Fianna Fail seat, he'll be challenging for Jack Wall's. Whether he's the right man or at the right man is open to debate, but he's certainly in the wrong place.

geraghd

jjcarroll said:
When will the O'Shea/Geraghty dream ticket be launched?
When the plot to politically assasinate their rivals (all rivals!), comes to fruition, I should think.. So give it a general election or two.. :twisted:
We, ahem, I mean they, are waitin till we have installed our, damn I mean their allies in bordering counties, such as the Bruton/Carroll ticket amonst others..

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
TheChief said:
aodh_rua said:
I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002
Rainsford did have to contend with a deliberately misleading campaign by the government candidates regarding the M9 route.

As for which seat Richard will be targeting - both Jack Wall and Fianna Fáil's Sean O'Fearghail operate out of Athy, even though O'Fearghail is from Kildare Town, so I'd imagine that Richard will be trying to reclaim the votes and seat from O'Fearghail. He must have one of the lowest Dáil profiles and the local FF machine are increasingly unhappy with him.

Ahem - Derrick less of the assasination talk in public :wink:

thegeneral

Whatever about O'Fearghail's profile Wall's isn't exactly high. If selected its a clear indication that FG are targetting the seat of a Labour party TD given Athy is Wall's main base.

Have FG got nobody in Kildare or Newbridge they could run? Athy is considreably smaller than those areas as I understand it.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
thegeneral said:
Whatever about O'Fearghail's profile Wall's isn't exactly high. If selected its a clear indication that FG are targetting the seat of a Labour party TD given Athy is Wall's main base.

Have FG got nobody in Kildare or Newbridge they could run? Athy is considreably smaller than those areas as I understand it.
Fine Gael have not selected any candidates as yet so you may be getting ahead of yourself. That said, a reasonable 2 candidate strategy would involve one in the Athy LEA and one in the Kildare LEA. Richard would certainly make an excellent candidate in the Athy area. There are potential candidates in the Kildare\Newbridge area, but as no convention has been announced yet, no names have been officially put forward for consideration.

As for Deputy Wall, he has a good local standing thanks to his Oireachtas service since 1997 and his years as chair of the County Board. Deputy O'Fearghail on the other hand achieved election by engaging in parochial politics to the nth degree and taking Alan Dukes's seat. His subsequent record as a legislator has been less than inspirational and when he and his FF colleague Sean Power (the Junior Minister who fumbled Leas Cross) approch the people they may find the Kildare South electorate are as unforgiving as our northern cousins.

geraghd

Well Power may be in less a secure seat as previously thought. Given some personal circumstances re Power, any one of the 3 seats could be up for grabs.

Parnell

I was delighted to hear Richard's declaration. He'll be a great candidate and I've no doubt his profile will grow fast as he engages with more of the constituency. He adopts a sound commonsense approach which voters will go for.

Let me nail one piece of speculation to the Wall (pardon the pun). Jack Wall is not the target, and I've no doubt that he has enough votes to get back in no problem. The target is O'Fearghaill!

In 2002 he got quite a few FG votes in the Athy district on foot of work he'd done over the years. There's a bit of a backlash against him from those borrowed voters as he hasn't delivered on what he promised back in 2002. Expect those votes to move to Richard.

Ernie

Tooi skewed to the South of the constituency. Also Richard lacks farmer appeal. Kildare South is big horse and farm country that elected Gerry Sweetman and Alan Dukes. To maximise vote Fg wil need a (1) Newbridge candidate coz it's where the action is and (2) a farmer. How, Alan Dukes is missed in Kildare South :oops:

meriwether

Wheeler said:
"How, Alan Dukes is missed in Kildare South"

Alan Dukes is neither a farmer nor from Newbridge.
But he was minister for Agriculture (spokesman at the very least), and he worked as an economist for the IFA.

spos

Never mind an O'Shea/Geraghty dream ticket. The O'Shea/Geraghty operation has much higher ambitions.............a coup that mean we will be supreme rulers of all 26 counties. The entire South Kildare Constituency will be transformed into a gleaming metropolis on par to say Dubai and will be the new capital of the "High Kingdom of Supreme Ireland with O'Shea and Geraghty." We shall construct a hill between Tullywest and Castledermot and upon it place two large thrones. We shall sit here and administer our great land and marvel at the world's second 6 star hotel (well if Dubai can............).

On a serious note I want to wish Richard the very best of look. I have worked and indeed canvassed with Cllr Daly in the past and his committment, courage and enthusiasm is extremely encouraging.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
spos said:
Never mind an O'Shea/Geraghty dream ticket. The O'Shea/Geraghty operation has much higher ambitions.............a coup that mean we will be supreme rulers of all 26 counties. The entire South Kildare Constituency will be transformed into a gleaming metropolis on par to say Dubai and will be the new capital of the "High Kingdom of Supreme Ireland with O'Shea and Geraghty." We shall construct a hill between Tullywest and Castledermot and upon it place two large thrones. We shall sit here and administer our great land and marvel at the world's second 6 star hotel (well if Dubai can............).

On a serious note I want to wish Richard the very best of look. I have worked and indeed canvassed with Cllr Daly in the past and his committment, courage and enthusiasm is extremely encouraging.
Should I be worried about you two? And any chance of a job!

As for FG needing a farmer\Newbridge candidate - I think it will be important that we run someone from the Newbridge\Kildare twin cities area, but a farmer less so. Our target swing voters will be young professionals who have no established voting pattern and are working at the hard end of our economic success. Obviously someone with knowledge of agriculture would be good too, but our electorate is much broader than that.

geraghd

spos said:

7 star, steve, 7 star :roll: I mean we've been planning this for how long, and you cant get some of the more important parts right...

Casualbets

aodh_rua said:
TheChief said:
[quote="aodh_rua":23o5up47]I think we're all operating under the assumption that it will be 2 candidates as per 2002
Rainsford did have to contend with a deliberately misleading campaign by the government candidates regarding the M9 route.

As for which seat Richard will be targeting - both Jack Wall and Fianna Fáil's Sean O'Fearghail operate out of Athy, even though O'Fearghail is from Kildare Town, so I'd imagine that Richard will be trying to reclaim the votes and seat from O'Fearghail. He must have one of the lowest Dáil profiles and the local FF machine are increasingly unhappy with him.

Ahem - Derrick less of the assasination talk in public :wink:[/quote:23o5up47]

The only seat Daly can challenge for is Wall's. Sure, O'Fearghail polled 25% in Athy last time but he polled 60% in Kildare Town, his base - and that's with Dukes standing there as well.

It all boils down to Geography - there are 3 seats in Kildare South, and they divide thus, 1 definite seat for a Newbridge-based candidate, 1 definite seat for a Kildare Town based candidate, and the final seat has gone to an Athy candidate (Wall) in the last two elections, but in both cases by less than 1,000 votes. Even though Kildare and Athy are roughly the same size, a Kildare Town candidate has an advatage in that there are several smaller towns within their electoral orbit : Monasterevin, Rathangan, Kilcullen and also the Curragh Camp. Athy candidates only have one such town (Castledermot, which is also smaller than the above mentioned towns), and the fact that Athy is only a mile or two away from the border with Laois means there is less hinterland to fish for votes in.

Therefore, there is no way in hell both Daly and Wall can win seats (if Daly runs). In fact it is quite possible that Athy will be left with no seat at the next election.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Kildare Town will probably be where the constituency will hinge. Although O'Fearghail lives just outside the town FF vote management means he gets Athy while Power gets Kildare. The fact the O'Fearghail has appointed Athy Councillor Mark Dalton as a full-time constituency worker bears this out.

There is also a lot resentment in Kildare Town over the government's mismanagement of the redevelopment of Magee Barracks. Apparently the local FF councillors aren't too happy with O'Fearghail over the debacle as he has tried to get a pre-emptive retaliation in by blaming the council over a matter that was decided at cabinet not local level. It all makes for an interesting few months to come.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies