• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

First of the big Strikes at Bus Eireann early next year?

Fullforward

Roll_On

sounds like a perfectly reasonable move by BÉ to cut costs, maintain services and competitiveness. I'll make sure to be extra rude to any striking BÉ staff.

EvotingMachine0197

Well, if it does happen it would give the wider public their first real opportunity to express opinion about public service remuneration in terms of supporting this strike or not. (Not imo)

I think the union would want to be very careful here ...

Podolski1.5

Presumably Bus Éireann workers have contracts of employments which can only be changed by agreement. I'll make sure to stand by any striking BÉ staff and refuse to pass their pickets. Bus Éireann management is pro-privatisation. They should be removed.

SPN

Time to order a few second hand buses from the UK methinks. A new business opportunity is about to present itself.

culmore

what about strike pay for the boys, top brass in unions like to keep all the money for their own expenses and junkets ????

Ulster-Lad

Time to order a few second hand buses from the UK methinks. A new business opportunity is about to present itself.
and about 2000 new jobs.

Ramon Mercadar

BE want to cut pay and shift allowances and increase working hours. Its easy for an employer to get an injunction against a strike. I suppose I'm naive to suppose that the High Court might issue an injunction against Bus Eireann unilaterally changing working conditions.

SPN

BE want to cut pay and shift allowances and increase working hours. Its easy for an employer to get an injunction against a strike. I suppose I'm naive to suppose that the High Court might issue an injunction against Bus Eireann unilaterally changing working conditions.
What about the citizens who have to endure an overpriced, second class, transport service in order to featherbed these insiders?

Time we were allowed to have a transport system that worked.

Ulster-Lad

What about the citizens who have to endure an overpriced, second class, transport service in order to featherbed these insiders?

Agreed. It is the only public transport we have up here.

Ramon Mercadar

A transport system that will only operate profitable routes at profitable times?

Which jobs at BE are overpaid?

Ramon Mercadar

SPN

A transport system that will only operate profitable routes at profitable times?
No. A system that provides cost effective transport where it is needed and when it is needed.

Surely it is not beyond our ability to organise such a thing?

Which jobs at BE are overpaid?
How could I possibly know that?

Kevin Doyle

Private bus drivers are properly paid. And courteous too. And very professional, in my experience.

The thing is though, if you live anywhere remote you'll never see one.

Storm in a tea cup this, there wont be a strike.

Ulster-Lad

Private bus drivers are properly paid. And courteous too. And very professional, in my experience. Bus Eireann drivers are well paid.
I never said they were not. My point is I can see them being made redundant if they strike and replaced with new courteous drivers that are paid less and on a different contract. Now where have we seen that before?

Kevin Doyle

How could I possibly know that?
I would help if you did if you make general claims about the staff being overpaid.

Ramon Mercadar

Private bus drivers are properly paid. And courteous too. And very professional, in my experience. Bus Eireann drivers are well paid.
Well, how do you know how much private bus drivers are paid? The copanies don't advertise their pay scales.

Howya

What's your definition of properly paid? 2/3 times AIW for bus driving?
I don't know but suspect with allowances, OT etc that the BE wage is greater than the AIW