First they came for the carp but I wasn't a carp

McSlaggart

To be serious - I know there have been major problems - Coarse Fishermen do not kill their catch, and Carp fishermen are fanatical. So it hasn't gone down well that some immigrants regard these fish as food.
:D

SEAMAI

They're welcome to it. Interestingly if you switch around the middle two letters you get CRAP, which is exactly what it tastes like but then what you expect from a bottom feeder from a muddy pond? I have a Polish friend who told me that she ate it every year without every really thinking about it until she moved here and realised how good fresh saltwater fish is.

Morgellons

They're welcome to it. Interestingly if you switch around the middle two letters you get CRAP, which is exactly what it tastes like but then what you expect from a bottom feeder from a muddy pond? I have a Polish friend who told me that she ate it every year without every really thinking about it until she moved here and realised how good fresh saltwater fish is.
Cooked in wine in the oven, carp is a very tasty fish. Lots of bones though, so there's never much dinner conversation when you're eating one which may be a good or a bad thing, depending on the company.

Fritzbox

You keep it in the bathtub for a few days before you kill and eat the carp - by then it should have cleared its system - shat it all out. Keep changing the water every now and again.

Cruimh

Used to be a staple of Monastic life in middle ages - if there were no rivers near by they had fish ponds with Carp as they are very forgiving of water quality. The Normans used moats and also fish ponds - Mountfitchet Castle

By our standards most coarse fish are not good eating - a Jack Pike would be an honourable exception.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Carp! Was in Tesco Dundalk today and ventured over to the fish counter and saw carp for sale for the first time. They were big and in a prime position on the ice...

commonman

Its a big problem all around the country or local lakes have been hit a few times, i have seen fires where they were cooking the fish when they get them, the leave a lot of litter around there is a bit of a crack down on them this last few years, but it the mess the leave that is the big problem.

commonman

Used to be a staple of Monastic life in middle ages - if there were no rivers near by they had fish ponds with Carp as they are very forgiving of water quality. The Normans used moats and also fish ponds - Mountfitchet Castle

By our standards most coarse fish are not good eating - a Jack Pike would be an honourable exception.
They like to go for tench, if there is no carp in the waters.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Was canoeing down a river which is fed from loch muckno and a number of new Irish from the east were frantically fishing... I pulled in to egress as there was a stone wall. They had lit up the coals and were cooking fish the size of your average gold fish! Couldn't believe they'd bother with such smallies but they seemed happy with their gourmands!

Cruimh

Was canoeing down a river which is fed from loch muckno and a number of new Irish from the east were frantically fishing... I pulled in to egress as there was a stone wall. They had lit up the coals and were cooking fish the size of your average gold fish! Couldn't believe they'd bother with such smallies but they seemed happy with their gourmands!
It is quite a culture clash ....

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I've got some really nice big Koi carp in a pond under a bridge from my apartment building out to the cycle lane.

Koi carp. A grand bunch of lads. I think of them as little swimmy orangemen.

Last edited:

Boy M5

You keep it in the bathtub for a few days before you kill and eat the carp - by then it should have cleared its system - shat it all out. Keep changing the water every now and again.
That's what Poles do.
I remember JP2 used to have it on Christmas Eve and invite Polish nuns and priests join him.

Weevil

A mere 30 years after reading 'Legion' by William Peter Blatty I find out why the wife of the detective investigating a series of Satanic murders was keeping carp in the bath.

Thanks, Fritzbox.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
To be serious - I know there have been major problems - Coarse Fishermen do not kill their catch, and Carp fishermen are fanatical. So it hasn't gone down well that some immigrants regard these fish as food.
Carp is a huge Christmas tradition here too, 70 or so km to the west of Poland. I can't for the life of me see why. Carp is about a flavourless as you can get and still be fish. An seasoned farm trout is rich flavoured in comparison, and far less glubberig.

I'm about to put a medium sized dinosaur in the oven.

Wish me luck, and enjoy yours, whatever it is.

New Threads

Most Replies