• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fiscal deficit of £6000 per capita shows need for NI growth

factual

Our fiscal deficit still soars over rest of UK - Business News, Business - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

The linked news story explains that per capita there is a £6000 deficit in NI. That is, spending by government exceeds tax raised by £6000 per head.

Some basic maths - assuming the population of Ireland (Republic of) is double that of NI - indicates that a £3000 tax hike per head would be needed to sustain NI if there were to be a UI tomorrow. Politically unpalatable.

That is why we need to get economic development north of the border in order to make sure that a UI is not unattractive economically.

Hence the need for pro-growth policies that the Executive powersharing coalition is putting forward.

Last edited:

ArtyisBack

Our fiscal deficit still soars over rest of UK - Business News, Business - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

The linked news story explains that per capita there is a £6000 deficit in NI. That is, spending by government exceeds tax raised by £6000 per head.

Some basic maths - assuming the population of Ireland (Republic of) is double that of NI - indicates that a £3000 tax hike per head would be needed to sustain NI if there were to be a UI tomorrow. Politically unpalatable.

That is why we need to get economic development north of the border in order to make sure that a UI is not unattractive economically.

Hence the need for pro-growth policies that the Executive powersharing coalition is putting forward.
Are you sure? have you got that from the economic appraisal unit from Connolly House?

Ex celt

Every sattizzen in eire is indebted personally,and jointly and severally,to the tune of 47250 euros.Is this payback time for propagating the great famine myth?

Garza

Every sattizzen in eire is indebted personally,and jointly and severally,to the tune of 47250 euros.Is this payback time for propagating the great famine myth?
Aren't they getting a 3000 euro family tax hike soon as well? Yeesh.

But Stormont needs to get NI contributing more to the UK economy.

ArtyisBack

Ireland
Current Account 3235.00
Balance of Trade 2900.00EUR Million

Britain
Current Account -20767.00
Balance of Trade -2699.00 GB£Mill

Look who is paying their way in the world.

Oh dear - a lot of cuts to come.

factual

Ireland
Current Account 3235.00
Balance of Trade 2900.00EUR Million

Britain
Current Account -20767.00
Balance of Trade -2699.00 GB£Mill

Look who is paying their way in the world.

Oh dear - a lot of cuts to come.
Fail. Does not understand difference between budget deficit and current account deficit.

hiding behind a poster

Hey Factual, did you have a good holiday?

hiding behind a poster

Yes absolutely great. The weather in Chile was fantastic, the wine, climing in the Andes, and the Pacific. All great. Miss the lovely sun now.
Good stuff. Don't expect to see that sun back for a while, now. I felt the same getting off a plane from Portugal about a month ago - a real "winter starts NOW" feeling.

factual

Good stuff. Don't expect to see that sun back for a while, now. I felt the same getting off a plane from Portugal about a month ago - a real "winter starts NOW" feeling.
I know. There is still such a lot of the winter. I am living in London this year and this week it is just rain rain rain.

What part of Portugal were you in ? I thought Lisbon was a fun city.

hiding behind a poster

I know. There is still such a lot of the winter. I am living in London this year and this week it is just rain rain rain.

Haven't been to Lisbon yet, though I'd like to - was golfing in Vilamoura.

ArtyisBack

Fail. Does not understand difference between budget deficit and current account deficit.
Here - did you ever come back with that answer I was looking for or are you still wanting to laugh at disabled children?

Anyway. What is the difference between budget difference and current account deficit in relation to my post?

theloner

Hey Factual, did you have a good holiday?
Yes absolutely great. The weather in Chile was fantastic, the wine, climing in the Andes, and the Pacific. All great. Miss the lovely sun now.

Haven't been to Lisbon yet, though I'd like to - was golfing in Vilamoura.
Is this a dating site now?

dazzler

What would you expect with a bloated public sector and low levels of FDI. The English masters refused to disolve CT so NI will remain an economic basket case (not that fiscal powers alone are the answer) and a failed political entity.

DT123

What would you expect with a bloated public sector and low levels of FDI. The English masters refused to disolve CT so NI will remain an economic basket case (not that fiscal powers alone are the answer) and a failed political entity.
Were the "English masters" to "disolve CT",what do you think would happend to the UK's Corporation Tax take,when all the companies move their HQs to NI?

collina

I hope there is no crowing here.

It's the long term plan of the English to transfer the deficit from London to Dublin.