Fish becoming transgender due to contraceptive pill

silverharp

I thought this was meant to be a conspiracy theory, I assume this is related to the alleged "gay frogs" ? I'd assume it effects some species more than others so maybe it balances out?

Fish becoming transgender from contraceptive pill chemicals being flushed down household drains

A fifth of male fish are now transgender because of chemicals from the contraceptive pill being flushed down household drains, a study by has suggested.

Male river fish are displaying feminised traits and even producing eggs, the study found. Some have reduced sperm quality and display less aggressive and competitive behaviour, which makes them less likely to breed successfully.

The chemicals causing these effects include ingredients in the contraceptive pill, by-products of cleaning agents, plastics and cosmetics, according to the findings.

“Many other chemicals that are discharged through sewage treatment works can affect fish, including antidepressant drugs that reduce the natural shyness of some fish species”

Professor Charles Tyler, of the University of Exeter, is to present his findings in a key-note lecture at a symposium this week. He will explain that the offspring of such "transgender" or "intersex" fish can also be more sensitive to the effects of these chemicals in subsequent exposures.

Professor Tyler said: "We are showing that some of these chemicals can have much wider health effects on fish that we expected.

Socratus O' Pericles

I'll get it out of the way early.................

they're coddin' ya!

firefly123

Those rainbow trout were always a bit light in their fins

That's an extraordinary story. Surprised it's not better known.
The pathologist Sir Sydney Smith described the case of a WWI soldier who changed into a woman over a period of months. He reckoned that it was some form of psychological regression to the female state (I mean that in the sense of the original conception state and not as a comment on the female condition). It might have been this "guy's" ticket back to Blighty. I am unsure how well attested and recorded the whole thing was.

dizillusioned

With all these Contraceptives, these fish must be floundering, carping back to the days of a good oulde ..... pike..;)

Casablanca

I'd say the loons will have a whale of a time on this thread.

Sometimes this plaice.........

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I'd say the loons will have a whale of a time on this thread.

Sometimes this plaice.........
It can be sole-destroying, alright, although from time to time, you'll see some get knocked off their perch and others just acting the pollocks.

I didn't bring a coat, so can let myself out.....

Casablanca

It can be sole-destroying, alright, although from time to time, you'll see some get knocked off their perch and others just acting the pollocks.

I didn't bring a coat, so can let myself out.....
Your just sturgeoning it now.

irishproduce

That's an extraordinary story. Surprised it's not better known.
It is more than likely exaggerated and sensationalised horse ************************ that wouldn't stand up to robust scrutiny.
Hence it isn't reported on so much.
Think of National Enquirer type stories.
I've no doubt the penis develops slower in the group, but it's probably an exaggeration that it resembles a fanny up till then.

Dedogs

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies