• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Five councillors likely to be prosecuted for corruption

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
_. P .., .S.
. .:............. ....
....:.................._ ....,
............ .............., .:..
....... . . _:........ :..
_...... . .<........ ....
,...... ....... ..._.
_..... ..:...) .....
:.... ..:.... .....
.... _:..... .....
...... .....U..._.
..... _:..... (
O..... ......
:... ) .......
....._ . ...E:..),
.:.... ).... . _.....
..... ,...... .:....
) ..... ...:.._ .....
....... ..:..... ...+,
. :...... )..:...,. ....
.:....... ..+......., _:...
............?. .............. .....
. .......:............,. :...
. :..............) ...
.. I. .. ,D.

DCon

According to today's indo, the DPP was simply waiting for the outcome of the Dunlop trial to initiate prosecutions against 5 councillors.
Don Lydon (FF)
Tony Fox (FF)
Sean Gilbride (FF)
Colm McGrath (FF)
Liam Cosgrave (FG)

The same article reports efforts by CAB to seize the corruptly rezoned Carrickmines land.

Is something small but positive happening in this country?

source
I doubt anything positive will come from this unless senior FF politicians are locked up.

If the system does not change and the top dogs can continue get away with it, then the fall guys will just be replaced.

Craiced

According to today's indo, the DPP was simply waiting for the outcome of the Dunlop trial to initiate prosecutions against 5 councillors.
Don Lydon (FF)
Tony Fox (FF)
Sean Gilbride (FF)
Colm McGrath (FF)
Liam Cosgrave (FG)

The same article reports efforts by CAB to seize the corruptly rezoned Carrickmines land.

Is something small but positive happening in this country?

source
I hope so. If Dunlop got an 18months sentence. These "public" representatives deserve 10 years.

Dunlop was just an individual on the make. Those councillors were placed in a position of trust by the people and betrayed that trust. I would give those councillors 10 years for treason against the state.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
you could go into every county council in the country and if you looked, you'd find corrupt practices.

I remember being on a county council strategic policy committee once, and the committee were looking for various members to form sub committees to investigate things like renewable energy options, tourism options etc etc .. there was a serious lack of interest amongst the elected members to get involved in any non paying sub committees.. then the executive announced that they needed members to oversee the possible selling off of council landbanks.. Jesus I thought people were going to kill each other for the few places available.. imagine having the inside track on the possible sale of prime located council property..

Barrycelona

Word from people around Sligo that Seán Gilbride died this morning. Whatever he was up to back then, God rest him...
I cannot agree with you. I did not know the man or anything about him. Those people who are guilty of corruption and who have profitted from it during their lifetime should not be excused of it when they die. Whether their families knew it or not, they still benefitted from it and the monies and fines should be reimbursed to the state through any estate left. Corruption has robbed so many vulnerable people of dignity, yet we leave those who have robbed that dignity keep theirs. Charlie and Lawlor and the Mugabe brothers, Noel and Bertie are the worst examples

jackryan

I cannot agree with you. I did not know the man or anything about him. Those people who are guilty of corruption and who have profitted from it during their lifetime should not be excused of it when they die. Whether their families knew it or not, they still benefitted from it and the monies and fines should be reimbursed to the state through any estate left. Corruption has robbed so many vulnerable people of dignity, yet we leave those who have robbed that dignity keep theirs. Charlie and Lawlor and the Mugabe brothers, Noel and Bertie are the worst examples
But was he found guilty? I presume the tribunal whenever it reports will cast light on it. Remember just because one is charged one isn't neccessarily guilty!

Desperate Dan

My God but did I see a FG politician name on the list, that's unbelievable.:shock2:

junius

But was he found guilty? I presume the tribunal whenever it reports will cast light on it. Remember just because one is charged one isn't neccessarily guilty!
There's total truth though in the saying 'there's no smoke without fire'. People who keep their hands clean and live decent lives with honesty, don't end up with charges of corruption, subject of tribunals etc.....

I agree with Barrycelona. Keep making excuses for these kind of people and we allow the rot to perpetuate. Nobody ever gets taught the lesson they deserved!

Cato

One of the five once gave a talk in the seminary in Maynooth on the evils of the media and advertizers. Funny to look back on it now.

jackryan

There's total truth though in the saying 'there's no smoke without fire'. People who keep their hands clean and live decent lives with honesty, don't end up with charges of corruption, subject of tribunals etc.....

I agree with Barrycelona. Keep making excuses for these kind of people and we allow the rot to perpetuate. Nobody ever gets taught the lesson they deserved!
Smoke comes out of a freezer and there sure is no fire?

Desperate Dan

Barrycelona

C'mon, Wake up and smell the manure. Legally you cannot be found guilty of being a Moral vacuum and just like the drug barons, corrupt politicians always have someone there to defend them and in Berties case, promote them. We are all swimming through this manure but unlike cumann canvassers of corrupt politicians, the rest us can have a clear conscience. Hopefully ye have learnt your lesson but I doubt it.

MsAnneThrope

*bump*

Former Fine Gael TD and Senator Liam Cosgrave has been given permission by the High Court to challenge his prosecution on corruption charges. [...]

The High Court was told that the principal witness in the trial will be Frank Dunlop.

Senior Counsel Brendan Grehan told the court that Mr Cosgrave had been prosecuted in 2005 for failing to declare a political donation, had pleaded guilty and been sentenced to community service.

But Mr Grehan said that statements made by Mr Dunlop in 2004 on the basis of which Mr Cosgrave was now being charged were available to gardaí in 2005 and were not disclosed to Mr Cosgrave's lawyers at that time.

He is claiming his new prosecution is an abuse of process. [...]

Separately, businessman Jim Kennedy who is charged with making corrupt payments to politicians, and is also due to stand trial in October, is also bringing legal proceedings this afternoon to stop his trial.
RTÉ 7th March 2011: Liam Cosgrave in attempt to halt trial

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies