• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Flag row at Belfast City Hall : Unionists leaflet tries to put pressure on Alliance

Figaroni

The UUP and DUP have joined forces to distribute leaflets telling anyone who will listen that if the Union Flag is to be flown only on designated days, it will be the Alliance Party's fault.
BBC News - Alliance Party 'disgusted' at DUP/UUP flag policy leaflet

On the Nolan show, the DUP's Christopher Stalford told the Alliance that they should change their "designated day" stance due to the result of a "public consultation".

The Alliance party stood for election under the "designated days" policy at the last election.

Said "consultation" consisted of 17,000 replies, of which the two Unionists parties supplied 15,000 from a petition they organised!
Audioboo / Flag row at Belfast City Council heats up.

Stalford and co seem to want to over-ride the last council election results, some things never change.

theloner

The DUP could get McCoubrey to make sure of it considering his connections.

Levellers

If the Unionists removed their disgusting sectarian hatreds from their policy making and concentrated on arguing why the union is beneficial to people they would get much further.

theloner

The DUP seem determined to win back Peter Robinson's seat taken from it by the toothless Alliance Party by playing to base sensitivities of the majority of the East Belfast electorate. Embarrassing stuff altogether.

between the bridges

Unionists leaflet... oh the oppression!! next it will be a musical card...

Figaroni

Unionists leaflet... oh the oppression!! next it will be a musical card...
OK, shall we drop the Unionist and refer to Anti-Alliance?
Granted, Unionists having trouble with democracy is hardly news so the biased BBC shouldn't have brought it up, would that do?

between the bridges

OK, shall we drop the Unionist and refer to Anti-Alliance?
Granted, Unionists having trouble with democracy is hardly news so the biased BBC shouldn't have brought it up, would that do?
ah i see it's even worse than i first feared, one political party dissin another, armageddon is upon us flee for your life's...

Figaroni

ah i see it's even worse than i first feared, one political party dissin another, armageddon is upon us flee for your life's...
Theloner got it spot on:
The DUP seem determined to win back Peter Robinson's seat taken from it by the toothless Alliance Party by playing to base sensitivities of the majority of the East Belfast electorate. Embarrassing stuff altogether.

dazzler

December could be the month when the penny finally drops with unionists when the butchers aprin comes down from City Hall and the census results confirming that the Protestant majority is gone and gone forever.

Figaroni

newsflash political party in attempt to win back voters, how very dare they!
Embarrassing stuff altogether.
You missed that bit.
Ignore the last election results and wind people up by referring to the flag "being torn down", they used to call it playing the Orange card.
"No more them and us.(as long as we are in the majority.)"

between the bridges

December could be the month when the penny finally drops with unionists when the butchers aprin comes down from City Hall and the census results confirming that the Protestant majority is gone and gone forever.
its also the month Santa comes to town...

between the bridges

You missed that bit.
Ignore the last election results and wind people up by referring to the flag "being torn down", they used to call it playing the Orange card.
"No more them and us.(as long as we are in the majority.)"
i know imagine a unionist party supporting the union flag whatever next...

Mickeymac

They will of course deny that and will mostly hold some sort of coat trailing 'victory' parade.:lol::lol::lol:

FitzjamesHorse

Website
fitzjameshorselooksattheworld.wordpress.com
Twitter
FitzjamesHorse
Stalford must be raising his profile. He is not that safe in his DEA.
I daresay he fancies himself as "Lord" Mayor one day.....and there would be a certain poetic justice if he lost his council seat before he got to be mayor. It would take a heart of stone not to laugh.
Naomi Long is just one target. The DUP want that East Belfast seat back.
And they want to take out one of the East Belfast MLAs.
Good luck to them.

Figaroni

i know imagine a unionist party supporting the union flag whatever next...
You're right you know, disregard the council election results and demand a party goes back on the position on which it was elected because of some makey-uppy "consultation".
Whats wrong, is their Gerrymandering broke?

theloner

newsflash political party in attempt to win back voters, how very dare they!
Point is, Robinson lost his seat to Long due to the Alliance party conducting real politics in the area. Kudos where kudos is due, now the DUP is trying to win it back by using traditional NI politics, namely the importance of a 'fleg' over city hall. As I said, embarrassing stuff. The DUP should get out there and win back the seat with real, down to business politics, not bitching over a flag.

Billy the Prod

Also the same month this sign goes up on said hall:

:lol:
Personally, I find this offensive.

As no doubt it is saying something bad about Protestants in the Gaelic language.

between the bridges

Point is, Robinson lost his seat to Long due to the Alliance party conducting real politics in the area. Kudos where kudos is due, now the DUP is trying to win it back by using traditional NI politics, namely the importance of a 'fleg' over city hall. As I said, embarrassing stuff. The DUP should get out there and win back the seat with real, down to business politics, not bitching over a flag.
ach get real for feck sake, robo lost his seat because of iris playing hide the teenage sausage and paying a fiver for his garden...