• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Flags in Towns and Villages?

Fraxinus

I was in across the border for the first time in years yesterday and before I ask any questions I just have to say how great the scenery was in Derry, particularly the coast.
Anyway I was in 4 different counties, Antrim, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh and I was a little surprised how many towns and villages were covered in Union and Orange flags. Obviously I expected some but I didn't think it was that frequent the last time I was up.
Are the flags put up by local authorities?
And was there more than usual because it's not long after the 12th?

st333ve

I'm the same, went for drive to Tullymore forrest, was enjoying the scenary until the horrible looking rags everywhere ruined it for me.

Theyre so awful looking, I dont see why every town must resemble some loyalist ghetto in the summer.

Theyre put up mostly by the UDA, well around here anyway.

Councils arnt allowed to put them up anymore.

The flag waving is excessive to say the least, the people who put these things up must have serious obsessive mental issues.

How will we ever have a tourist season in the summer when so much effort goes into making the place look so horrible.

Trans-Siberian

Is sad ok,I wonder are demographics pushing those flags well in to the north east corner or are they still all over the place?

Had friends from Spain and Sweden go up on the 13th last as they thought the orange march in Belfast would be over, been on the 12th but that dam sunday messed it up for them.They got a great deal in the hotel but after driving into the city centre got caught up in it all.They got alot of abuse from the marchers and were shocked at their behaviour.

But I did explain that not all the people in Belfast act like that and I told them Id bring them up again to the nicer parts!

Schomberg

They got alot of abuse from the marchers and were shocked at their behaviour.
Where was this? I find it difficult to believe that people who were parading where "abusing" tourists.

mothball

If people have respect for their flag then it should only be up for special occasions. That goes for the Tricolour as well. Having them peppered everywhere for no genuine reason just looks pathetic and infantile.

st333ve

Why ?

Didnt one smack a kid in the face with a drum stick?
I also seen a load of bandsmen having a punchup in the middle of a 'song'.

Theyre celebrating a war for god sake, I wouldnt go near a march I'd get killed if they thought I wasnt 'one of them'.

Trans-Siberian

Where was this? I find it difficult to believe that people who were parading where "abusing" tourists.
Around city hall I think.I must clarify that they were not actually marching,they were just gathering and some were in uniform. Alot of people drinking and throwing things at the Gaurds. And these people live in Dublin.

Schomberg

If people have respect for their flag then it should only be up for special occasions. That goes for the Tricolour as well. Having them peppered everywhere for no genuine reason just looks pathetic and infantile.
I agree. Flags should be shown respect and I think that flags should be removed after celebrations. Nothing worse than seeing a tattered rag falling to pieces on top of a lamp post.

Schomberg

Around city hall I think.I must clarify that they were not actually marching,they were just gathering and some were in uniform. Alot of people drinking and throwing things at the Gaurds. And these people live in Dublin.

sorry? This was in Belfast? and people following parades were abusing tourists? who'se from Dublin?

Not meaning to sound thick, just wanting to get it straight :D

Schomberg

Why ?

Didnt one smack a kid in the face with a drum stick?
I also seen a load of bandsmen having a punchup in the middle of a 'song'.

Theyre celebrating a war for god sake, I wouldnt go near a march I'd get killed if they thought I wasnt 'one of them'.
isolated incidents like the one you're on about are one thing, attacking tourists is another. I've never witnessed anything even remotely like it.

st333ve

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxEjzSlbHvY"]YouTube - Ian Paisley at Drumcree 1995[/ame]

Yes lovely people these, wouldnt do anything nasty.

F*ing nutjobs.

Cant they all find some south American state to run around with their cults instead of ruining our country with their ugly flags and marching.

Last edited:

Trans-Siberian

sorry? This was in Belfast? and people following parades were abusing tourists? who'se from Dublin?

Not meaning to sound thick, just wanting to get it straight :D
Sorry I said Guards, I meant the RUC.It was in Belfast and the Spanish and Swedish people live in Dublin but were just up for a few nights.And yes the people following the parades were drinking on the street and abused them in their southern reg car.

Thats what they told me and lets face it. An orange march,drunken thugs,verbal abuse.Its hardly a shock now.Im not saying all Orange men would do it,but they done it in Belfast on the 13th.

Schomberg

Sorry I said Guards, I meant the RUC.It was in Belfast and the Spanish and Swedish people live in Dublin but were just up for a few nights.And yes the people following the parades were drinking on the street and abused them in their southern reg car.

Thats what they told me and lets face it. An orange march,drunken thugs,verbal abuse.Its hardly a shock now.Im not saying all Orange men would do it,but they done it in Belfast on the 13th.
Ok got it thanks.

These weren't Orangemen though, right? The dreaded Blue Bag Brigade. Trust me, not a single Orangeman I know whats that lot trailing along beside them.

Schomberg

Yes lovely people these, wouldnt do anything nasty.

F*ing nutjobs.

Cant they all find some south American state to run around with their cults instead of ruining our country with their ugly flags and marching.
what has that video to do with anything?

mutley

Ok got it thanks.

These weren't Orangemen though, right? The dreaded Blue Bag Brigade. Trust me, not a single Orangeman I know whats that lot trailing along beside them.
Thats what Orangemen always say, however they are the only ones that can do something about getting rid of them

Schomberg

Thats what Orangemen always say, however they are the only ones that can do something about getting rid of them
what can we do? they're walking along a street next to us. not with us. you can't ban people from walking one a footpath.

Trans-Siberian

isolated incidents like the one you're on about are one thing, attacking tourists is another. I've never witnessed anything even remotely like it.
On that point a car been driven by some Swedish tourists( not related to my friends! ) drove into tigers bay about 6 years ago.The car was rented from Dublin.It pulled up outside a pub at traffic lights and when the guys outside seen it they attacked the car breaking in windows.

In fairness to the gentlemen of tigers bay,once they figured out there was tourists in the car they stopped.But that did happen, and its why I pretend to be a white south african every time im up around certain areas in the North

Schomberg

On that point a car been driven by some Swedish tourists( not related to my friends! ) drove into tigers bay about 6 years ago.The car was rented from Dublin.It pulled up outside a pub at traffic lights and when the guys outside seen it they attacked the car breaking in windows.

In fairness to the gentlemen of tigers bay,once they figured out there was tourists in the car they stopped.But that did happen, and its why I pretend to be a white south african every time im up around certain areas in the North
Ok well thats obviously pretty bad and maybe even a regular thing. But it wasn't Orangemen on parade attacking tourists, now was it ;)

I've had mates come down from NI and have their cars vandalised for having a yellow reg. Scumbags everywhere.

I've driven up to parades in NI a few times, parked the car in designated parking places and gotten a few confused looks when stepping out. Until they see the collarette and then it's ok. I once met a Swedish girl out and we were getting on well until the subject of NI came up. I mentioned I was an Orangeman and she and her mates, picked up there stuff and left telling me that I was part of a racist organisation. These people were living in Dublin for a year or two so it's obviously where they got the mental ideas from.

Trans-Siberian

Ok well thats obviously pretty bad and maybe even a regular thing. But it wasn't Orangemen on parade attacking tourists, now was it ;)

I've had mates come down from NI and have their cars vandalised for having a yellow reg. Scumbags everywhere.

I've driven up to parades in NI a few times, parked the car in designated parking places and gotten a few confused looks when stepping out. Until they see the collarette and then it's ok. I once met a Swedish girl out and we were getting on well until the subject of NI came up. I mentioned I was an Orangeman and she and her mates, picked up there stuff and left telling me that I was part of a racist organisation. These people were living in Dublin for a year or two so it's obviously where they got the mental ideas from.
A racist Orangeman, ye that a mental idea!!!!

Now tell me again of the pledge you made ( in detail ) relating to Roman Catholics when you joined the loyal order?