• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Flan Garvey Former Fianna Fail Mayor Of Clare Accused Of Plagerism

CptSternn

26 college staff accuse councillor of plagiarising thesis - National News - Independent.ie

A chairman of the Institute of Technology Tralee has been accused by 26 staff of plagiarising sections of a thesis.

Former Fianna Fail councillor Flan Garvey received a master of arts degree for the thesis in 2008.

In one example, the staff claim 14 pages of the dissertation are identical to a book which was published in 1965 about Mr Garvey's native parish – Inagh.
I mean, borrowing a few lines you might get away with, but you really have to be delusional if you think you can copy fourteen pages verbatim and think no one will notice.

PeeBee

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

' Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'

Shpake

Aids? multiple drug resitsant TB? Hepatitis? mad cow?
another tequila shiela

ruserious

14 pages? Lol. I wonder how many others will be caught once Turnitin is fully operational.

Man or Mouse

Seanie Lemass

There is also an urban legend that a certain social sciences lecturer presented a phd years ago that had made up references to stuff that never existed! And that that only came to light years later when someone was checking the references and couldn't find the originals. That, arguably, shows a degree of ingenuity way beyond most social science theses!

Plagairism is quite common. I was tutoring years back in the relatively ealry days of the inter web and a respectable proportion of the essays turned out to be lifted. One contained the clue that it was not written by the 20 year-old from Longford: "So as I look back at the Thirty Years War from Berkeley in the 1970s" :)

Nermal

The picture of this guy is eye-opening. The chairman of an IT, wearing combats and a flat cap?

statsman

Riadach

Worse still when you're trying to teach them a language and they hand you up Gúglais.

ergo2

Plagiarism is rife.

recently came across "Hamlet" by a Wm Shakespeare.

It is full of quotations from other plays, films and books

Riadach

Plagiarism is rife.

recently came across "Hamlet" by a Wm Shakespeare.

It is full of quotations from other plays, films and books
Like Christopher Marlowe? :p

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Plagairism is quite common. I was tutoring years back in the relatively ealry days of the inter web and a respectable proportion of the essays turned out to be lifted. One contained the clue that it was not written by the 20 year-old from Longford: "So as I look back at the Thirty Years War from Berkeley in the 1970s" :)
A friend of mine was recently interviewing people and some of the CVs were pretty suss, one by a candidate named Patrick spoke of himself in the third person, "Patrick is a great organiser, Patrick has great communication skills, Patrick was our class President" stuff!

cogar

The internet has made plagiarism so easy but it is so easy to be caught. I believe there is software that will check and compare and catch the copycats. I am just wondering why it took so long for this case to be highlighted?

Rufty

If he is guilty he should have his qualification rescinded and the "senior academic" who supervised him should be investigated. However, I can't help but feel that the case is a tad odd when 26 lecturers are accusing him of this 4 years later. As chairman, has he made any decisions over the past few months that may have irked lecturers at ITT.

As someone who spend quite some time in academia before entering the private sector I'll be quite keen to see where this ends up. Have always maintained that the greatest children in 3rd level institutions are the academic staff. It was the main reason I left the sector!

Seanie Lemass

Good point Rufty. Academics can be vicious when crossed. There have been lots of cases here of savage and dishonest reviews, often anonymous, of books by real or percieved rivals.

In relation to this chap, I'd say probably hardly anyone would read both his thesis AND a local history. Was a pretty good % bet that he'd never be caught out but a silly and lazy thing for him to have done without apparently even bothering his arse re-writing the stuff lifted. Obviously someone had been sitting on this and had used when he crossed them!

CptSternn

Does the reason he was exposed really matter? If he did engage in such behaviour the motivation of the person or persons who brought the truth forward is still not the issue.

That's like saying sure yer man murdered his wife, but his neighbor who was blackmailing him with video of the event only told the Gards after the man refused to pay up.

Whoever brought the charges forward might be unscrupulous themselves, but it doesn't change the fact the person did engage in the activity which they are accused of and does not in any way diminish the thing they are accused of doing.

the quesiton I have is why should the staff at a college or university be able to get away with something that would normally see a student expelled for the same behaviour?

It reminds me of the case of yer man in America who faked being a doctor for years before someone by accident caught him. Turns out even though he was a pure chancer, he read a lot and was actually quite good as a doctor even though he had no medical training. Still didn't help him in the end as he was arrested and put in prison.

Rufty

Does the reason he was exposed really matter? If he did engage in such behaviour the motivation of the person or persons who brought the truth forward is still not the issue.

That's like saying sure yer man murdered his wife, but his neighbor who was blackmailing him with video of the event only told the Gards after the man refused to pay up.

Whoever brought the charges forward might be unscrupulous themselves, but it doesn't change the fact the person did engage in the activity which they are accused of and does not in any way diminish the thing they are accused of doing.

the quesiton I have is why should the staff at a college or university be able to get away with something that would normally see a student expelled for the same behaviour?

It reminds me of the case of yer man in America who faked being a doctor for years before someone by accident caught him. Turns out even though he was a pure chancer, he read a lot and was actually quite good as a doctor even though he had no medical training. Still didn't help him in the end as he was arrested and put in prison.
Cpt., careful with the wording. The guy, no matter what his affiliations is entitled due process and presumption of innocence until proven guilty. However, I will refer to previous on what should happen if he is proven guilty. With regard to the above analogy I do think that it's very serious that, if true, one person would get away with what another would be expelled for. It brings the entire Institute into disrepute and raises questions over all qualification from ITT which is also very serious and affects, potentially, thousands of people. This is an issue that could concern many more than simply Mr. Garvey and his supervisor in the long run. 3rd level institutions have a duty to maintain the highest academic standards and if someone willingly neglected (ie: sat on this information for their own means) that duty then there is also a large breach of trust/duty on their part and they should also face investigation and possible sanction themselves.