• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Flashbulb memory ..........

jo9jo

You know where you were when Ray Houghton scored against England on June 8, 1998 at the European Championships.

You remember where you were when you heard about Sept 11 ?

Do you remember where you were the night of the bank guarantee ?

Flashbulb memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How reliable are our memories ?

Some claim that the economic crash was brought about by the Lehmans crash.
Where were you on this day of the crash ?

Go to a football with 5 people.
Each of you has seen a different game of football.

If you are an eyewitness to a crime - can you really trust what you saw ?

Do we remember events that never happened ?

Do we adapt the past to suit our present ?

GDPR

I remember where I was on 9/11 and I remember where I was during the Cuban Crisis and when President Kennedy was shot. And when the bombs went off in London in July 2005

And the London Olympics 2012 - a happy time.

Last edited:

eoghanacht

You know where you were when Ray Houghton scored against England on June 8, 1998 at the European Championships.

Do you remember where you were the night of the bank guarantee ?

Flashbulb memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How reliable are our memories ?

Some claim that the economic crash was brought about by the Lehmans crash.
Where were you on this day of the crash ?

Go to a football with 5 people.
Each of you has seen a different game of football.

If you are an eyewitness to a crime - can you really trust what you saw ?

Do we remember events that never happened ?

Do we adapt the past to suit our present ?

You mean people like you?

http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-social-affairs/209594-how-has-your-life-been-affected-coalition-government-cuts-3.html#post6678534

Are you that thick?

The Owl

I am at an age where I can recall vividly things from my childhood, but I'll be damned if I can remember what I did yesterday. Obviously, seeing 3 men being beheaded in Saudi stays with me and arises unexpectedly at times. I recall I was sitting in my office when 9/11 came on Sky. I had the sound down and when I looked at the screen I thought it was an advert for a film and the shock when I knew what it was. I remember my dad dropping dead when I was only 7 years old. I remember seeing my child for the first time. But things like the night of the Bank guarantee has not registered maybe because I, along with millions of others, live the results of that night each and everyday, and no memory is necessary.

eoghanacht

Socratus O' Pericles

This reminds me of the day I had dejá vu.

jo9jo

This has something to do with FF....right?
No. It has nothing to do with FF.
It has to do with the unreliability of our memories.

Do you reme,ber your first date with your spouse.
Your spouse will habe different memories.

You will think you met on Tuesday, your spouse will think it was Saturday.
You remember drinking wine, your spouse remembers you drinking gin, etc, etc

You see what I am getting at ?

TheWexfordInn

I'm never going to forget that goal, I was at the game, being at those European championships will forever rank as a highlight of my life. That match was also the day that Ireland fans first got a reputation for good behaviour. While there were hundreds of arrests among the 10,000 England fans but none among the 15,000 Ireland fans. One strange memory was that there was no animosity from English hooligans towards Ireland fans, I recall having a surreal conversation with a group of quite friendly England fans who were quite open about only being over there to start a ruck with Dutch fans.

DuineEile

Behind the English goal, to the left of the goal from my perspective, with two mates. It was a very warm day. We enjoyed ourselves.

Just after getting off a bus . Outside UCD. It was just after 6pm. I was going to play a game of soccer. A friend rang to see if I was around for pints later. She said wasn't it terrible about the Twin Towers, I said what Twin Towers? Played my match. All the lads were talking about it in the dressing room. I only saw the pictures when I went to the pub. It must have been a Tuesday, as that was football night. I met Mrs. DE afterwards on one of our first dates. We married a couple of years later. It was the first time I met her very beautiful sister in law (obligatory disclaimer: Mrs DE is very beautiful too).. We also met a gay friend of hers and it was the one and only time I have been in the George.

We had a great night.

D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies