• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013, will you be going?

Easilydistracted

Well after all the controversy during Derry's bid for the All Ireland Fleadh, i was just wondering if it has had an adverse affect on Fleadh Goers.

BBC News - Dissident bombs blamed for collapse of Derry fleadh 2013 bid

BBC News - Appeal by Derry Comhaltas over Fleadh decision

If you're a regular attendee, will you be coming next year? do you think derry is a good setting for a fleadh?

If you wouldnt normally go to Fleadhanna, will you be tempted to come this year to see the All Ireland Fleadh's long overdue journey across the border?

Personally i think its going to be a fantastic Fleadh in a fantastic location and can now truly own the title, Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann.

as an aside, has anybody seen this boy knocking about

Rory O'Doherty Photography. | FLEADH 2013 (Fleadh bus in Dublin) | Photo 1

purpledon

Celebrating your Irish culture as a sub-culture of a greater British one?
Except Britain has not comparable culture. In fact, Britain in itself, is devoid of all culture. No music, no dance, no sports, even the English language is no longer its own.

Campion

Except Britain has not comparable culture. In fact, Britain in itself, is devoid of all culture. No music, no dance, no sports, even the English language is no longer its own.
What about chicken tikka masala and goat vindaloo? Aren't they British?

purpledon

So this event can never be held in the 6C because that makes it British? :roll:
Well it does seem that way. If this is the attitude that is going to be taken by some (claiming Irish culture as British) maybe it will make the organizers of the Fleadh and other big Irish cultural events think twice before they award anything to any town in NI again.

300,000 thousand people are expected to attend with a possible spend of £30 - £40 million in the city of Derry and its surround. Next time, and forever more, hold the Fleadh and all Irish cultural events in the Rep to prevent them from becoming political footballs by the likes of Moggie.

former wesleyan

What about chicken tikka masala and goat vindaloo? Aren't they British?
Chicken tikka masala is. Completely British. I've always thought that airbrushing the Irish in the British Army out of history has led to the situation whereby you could never get a decent curry in Ireland till lately. :D

purpledon

Chicken tikka masala is. Completely British. I've always thought that airbrushing the Irish in the British Army out of history has led to the situation whereby you could never get a decent curry in Ireland till lately. :D
If you think that then you have obviously never eaten a real Indian meal...........................in India.

wombat

Personally i think its going to be a fantastic Fleadh in a fantastic location and can now truly own the title, Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann.
I was at one in Buncrana and this year's was held in Cavan, so it has been held in Ulster previously. My only reservation is about holding it in a city, will it have the same atmosphere as in a small town with a mainstreet. Not interested in the political spin.

Campion

Yes you are right -- CTM was created in Old Blighty to appeal to fat Englishmen what with its heavy creamy goodness. Its come to replace roast beef and Yorkshire pudding as the traditional Sunday meal, hasn't it?

Indian food is wonderfully consistent if you're travelling. Whether its Baker St London, Central Sq Cambridge in Boston, Paris, Toronto, Adelaide, or South Great Georges St in Dublin, Indian restaurants all feel the same.

cogar

Is that gobdaw Labrás still in charge of CCE? I think he has been in charge since auld god's time and that for me is a good reason to avoid it.

bye bye mubarak

I was at one in Buncrana and this year's was held in Cavan, so it has been held in Ulster previously. My only reservation is about holding it in a city, will it have the same atmosphere as in a small town with a mainstreet. Not interested in the political spin.
Went to Sligo years ago and was a bit spread out and difficult for competitors, but really enjoyed it. Derry ie a small centred town with plenty of pubs, care of paddy bogside, I believe, but anyone who hws been there for Halloween will know that the 'Fla' will be of the highest craic. Must get my accomodation organised.

Easilydistracted

Hi, thanks for responding on topic, aye i was at Cavan myself, was the first All Ireland i have been to and it was amazing, to be fair though i think you're getting caught up on the City bit. Derry is very small for a city, and in terms of the city centre, which is where the majority of venues will be, there are all much closer together and easier accessed, and the main strip of bars where nightime events will be are alot like a small town with a main stret. In Cavan last year, things were much further apart than i was expecting and i dont think that would be a problem in Derry. As you can probably tell, im a derry man so im a bit biased, but i can imaging sessions popping up all over the place, william street, the diamond, guildhall square, the quay. Venues and hotels all within 10-15 mins walk Davinicis, Uni of Ulster, Cityhotel, Tower hotel, apartotel, millenium forum, ebrington square. Aye politics should have no place there, its going to be a fantastic fleadh

wombat

It is being held in Derry solely because that city was awarded the dubious "honour" of UK City of Culture 2013.
They made the best proposal to CCE, simple as

Popular Threads

Most Replies