• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Flegs and Border Polls, Smoke and Mirrors*

between the bridges

Child poverty by NI constituency

Belfast East 21%
Belfast North 36%
Belfast South 18%
Belfast West 43%
East Antrim 15%
East Londonderry 23%
Fermanagh/S Tyrone 18%
Foyle 36%
Lagan Valley 13%
Mid Ulster 20%
Newry/Armagh 23%
North Antrim 19%
North Down 13%
South Antrim 14%
South Down 19%
Strangford 15%
Upper Bann 20%
West Tyrone 26%

West Belfast has the second highest level of child poverty in the UK, according to a new report from the End Child Poverty campaign.

One in 10 children in Northern Ireland, or about 40,000, are living in severe poverty, according to research commissioned by Save the Children.

BBC News - '40,000 Northern Ireland children in severe poverty'

BBC News - West Belfast 'second highest in UK for child poverty'

Our political ''leaders'' ignore the real issues in order to stoke the tribal fires and we the great unwashed let them...

*I gave it a catchy title otherwise it wouldn't get past the first page on this political debating forum...

Aristodemus

I find it amusing when they refer to "child poverty". In relative terms there is no "child poverty" in Britain. There are not thousands of families living in favelas or working in sweatshops. There is free healthcare, free education, and a massive safety net of social welfare far superior to that of other European states.

theloner

West Belfast has the second highest level of child poverty in the UK.
Could someone pass these on to Jamie Bryson who believes it's only a unionist problem.
“The presenting feelings are that we are angry about flags but there are other huge problems particularly in unionist working class, or benefit class, areas, fragmentation, lack of confidence about the future, and unless we deal with those very, very serious issues, like educational underachievement, and we have done that in the Catholic sector, then I think our politicians are letting down people and society, because we are paying millions to police public disorder rather than tackle the source of it.”

physicist

Well you don't have to be Einstein to realise that if life gives you Smoke and Mirrors ... then win a Nobel Prize studying Brownian Motion and the Photoelectric Effect.

Oh wait.

Global Justice

Depressing stuff, but when we have unionists continually throwing about phrases like "bestest economies in teh worldz" (what a red-herring) why would their flock even contemplate any alternative? Does the 6 counties actually benefit from the UK economy? More economic independence is needed to address the problems directly, but as Sammy Wilson said last week 'We're unionists, we don't want more economic freedom, they're republicans, they do' :lol:

devonish

Depressing stuff, but when we have unionists continually throwing about phrases like "bestest economies in teh worldz" (what a red-herring) why would their flock even contemplate any alternative? Does the 6 counties actually benefit from the UK economy? More economic independence is needed to address the problems directly, but as Sammy Wilson said last week 'We're unionists, we don't want more economic freedom, they're republicans, they do' :lol:
Economic independence from whom, the UK, the RoI, the EU or the Euro Zone?, well done, a reaonable thread on a socio economic issue affecting both sides and it takes 4 responses before it's a unionist/nationalist discussion.

Global Justice

Economic independence from whom, the UK, the RoI, the EU or the Euro Zone?, well done, a reaonable thread on a socio economic issue affecting both sides and it takes 4 responses before it's a unionist/nationalist discussion.
Why are you getting so defensive after me pointing out a relevant fact? More economic freedom from Westminster would be beneficial to help alleviate these problems, no?

Mickeymac

Indeed Global, wait now for the denials, the place is an economic basket case, unemployment wasteland and many of those with jobs sell their labor cheap.

Depressing place with even the housing market in free fall.

physicist

I find it amusing when they refer to "child poverty". In relative terms there is no "child poverty" in Britain. There are not thousands of families living in favelas or working in sweatshops. There is free healthcare, free education, and a massive safety net of social welfare far superior to that of other European states.
Relative to Britain, Northern Irish children are very poor. I think the ROI rate is 21%, so you can probably draw relative conclusions as to which region has more effect on our economy.

devonish

Why are you getting so defensive after me pointing out a relevant fact? More economic freedom from Westminster would be beneficial to help alleviate these problems, no?
Merely trying to point out that economic freedom is a great slogan but means precious little in a global economy. To be honest, I remain to be convinced that our local politicians have the ability to make rational economic decisions so would question the merit of devolving powers to Stormont.

The number one priority for Stormont has to be to ensure that NI is not in the world news for the wrong reasons, this they have singuarly and collectively failed to do.
Their next priority is to ensure that we produce an educated workforce with skills relevant to employers, I don't think that they have done terribly well on this front either.

The above are the basics that any inward investor will think about, any fiscal powers devolved would in all likelihood lead to a playing to the gallert as opposed to sensible long term policies.

between the bridges

I love post 3 from lonely (the guy concerned that loyalists don't elect more gunman)
If anyone wants to pretend this is a serious 'political' forum, they may read this thread, methinks i will stick to baiting muppets, i'm away to join the BNP GAA team...

theloner

I love post 3 from lonely (the guy concerned that loyalists don't elect more gunman)
If anyone wants to pretend this is a serious 'political' forum, they may read this thread, methinks i will stick to baiting muppets, i'm away to join the BNP GAA team...
Sammy Brush and Daniel O'Donnell in Lagan Valley are examples of ex-gunmen voted in by loyalists.

between the bridges

Sammy Brush and Daniel O'Donnell in Lagan Valley are examples of ex-gunmen voted in by loyalists.
A part from the fact you are too easy do read what i posted and not what you think i posted...
(the guy concerned that loyalists don't elect more gunman)

IrishWelshCelt

Not surprising the worst of areas are nationalist areas while the unionist stronghold's preform the best.

between the bridges

Not surprising the worst of areas are nationalist areas while the unionist stronghold's preform the best.
Indeed just who is representing West Belfast and how vocal are they on this subject...

Mickeymac

Indeed just who is representing West Belfast and how vocal are they on this subject...

The people who live there and vote for political parties whose aim it is to bring an end to the untenable false statelet and bring them to a better place and child poverty a thing of the past........got it?

C

Castle Ray

The definition of child poverty is a bit strange. It relates to parental income and the stats in the link talk about children doing without meals or school trips and doing without heating in households. Low income families have to manage on limited resources and there are no doubt hardships. However, there are some elements that don't seem to be taken into consideration such as what is money being chosen to be spent on that meals are being done without or what is the size of a family relative to the income of the parents. If a low-income family has 6 children or a single unemployed mother has three children then it is clearly going to have a detrimental effect on the stats. Adults need to be educated about the costs of having a family and that they cannot expect to have others pay for their choices without sacrifices being made themselves. People need to be incentivised to work and not just rely on the state and there needs to be an ethos that encourages personal development and improvement of wellbeing as a result of hard work / enterprise. There sadly appears to be a lack of that in NI society and a culture of dependency, entitlement and handout.

Another aspect of the numbers that appears to be stark is the east / west split especially in relation to extreme poverty. I am in favour of decentralising public sector roles as much as possible to peripheral areas. Therefore any opportunities where jobs from Stormont can be located westwards should be taken. This is something that NI benefits from as a region getting jobs from national govt located here and where possible the same strategy in NI should be employed as appropriate.

The peripheral areas will often be less attractive to private companies but ICT is a sector that with the infrastructure in place should not necessarily be a hindrance to such firms. We need greater investment in ICT courses and degrees generally and I think the Londonderry area should also be targeted specifically as an enterprise zone with some serious tax breaks for FDI and local indigenous ICT companies.

IrishWelshCelt

RahenyFG

*I gave it a catchy title otherwise it wouldn't get past the first page on this political debating forum...
So true. It's why my thread on house sales in Northern Ireland didn't go far.

Swords Hoopster

The OP complains when his first reasonable thread descends into mayhem, forgetting the fact that the other 99% of his threads are started for that very reason.

Well done Jeff. Top drawer.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies