Flora vs Mumsnet: The Spread of Culture Wars.

Nebuchadnezzar

Upfield (manufacturer of spreads and brands such as Flora and I Can’t Believe it’s not Butter), have ended their association with Mumsnet(UK parenting website and forum). This is the result of a single complaint on Twitter alleging that Mumsnet is transphobic and that paying for Flora advertising on Mumsnet’s site is incompatible with Upfield’s corporate human rights statement covering ‘gender identification or expression’.

19679EFC-0B50-4B4F-9CFD-F574149A74A6.png
Mumsnet have responded by reiterating their policy of removing posts that are gratuitously offensive but also their commitment to respectful free speech.

“We know some people would like us to simply censor this entire debate but a similar number think we censor too much. We’re committed to allowing respectful discussion of an issue that is of particular interest to parents”.

A number of Mumsnet members have organised a boycott against Flora and other Upfield products.

Is Mumsnet transphobic?

Should food manufacturers concern themselves with gender identity debate?

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Upfield’s management team....

Management Team - Upfield

8 middle aged white blokes.

80% male. Part of their commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Its not unusual for corporations to be male-dominated. But these days in Europe and liberal parts of the US they are hyper-paranoid about offending this or that group and being boycotted themselves if they don't disassociate from controversy.

Nebuchadnezzar

Its not unusual for corporations to be male-dominated. But these days in Europe and liberal parts of the US they are hyper-paranoid about offending this or that group and being boycotted themselves if they don't disassociate from controversy.
...but they’re not too bothered about hypocrisy or upholding far more basic and important rights such as freedom of speech.

Dame_Enda

...but they’re not too bothered about hypocrisy or upholding far more basic and important rights such as freedom of speech.
You have to rememeber that a lot of them do business in totalitarian states like China and the Middle East where the culture is one of censorship not free speech. It maybe influences their policies in the West too.

Nebuchadnezzar

You have to rememeber that a lot of them do business in totalitarian states like China and the Middle East where the culture is one of censorship not free speech. It maybe influences their policies in the West too.
Bizarre how some ‘progressives’, ie the trans lobby, share common ground with China and regimes in the Middle East when it comes to deplatforming people who disagree with them.....and then partner up with corporations.

Emily Davison

Is Mumsnet transphobic?

Should food manufacturers concern themselves with gender identity debate?
Is Mumsnet transphobic. Do I really care, does anybody care, does it matter. I'm trying to think why I care anything about Mumsnet. But one thing I care passionately about is butter. And I shall never buy Flora or anything 'like butter' ever. Is you start a thread on that I could get vaguely interested.

Betson

I see there is a ridiculous petition to try and get Piers Morgan off the air for not been 100% in line with the latest PC thought on self declaring genders.

Of course he is milking it for all he can and rightly is making fun of it , he has now declared himself a two spirit penguin.

Emily Davison

Bizarre how some ‘progressives’, ie the trans lobby, share common ground with China and regimes in the Middle East when it comes to deplatforming people who disagree with them.....and then partner up with corporations.
And we're off:
- progressives
- depatforming
- corportations
- regimes
- trans lobby

Nebuchadnezzar

Is Mumsnet transphobic. Do I really care, does anybody care, does it matter. I'm trying to think why I care anything about Mumsnet. But one thing I care passionately about is butter. And I shall never buy Flora or anything 'like butter' ever. Is you start a thread on that I could get vaguely interested.
Have you tasted I can’t believe it’s not
Follow your passion Emily, start that butter thread. This one’s about censorship.

Emily Davison

Have you tasted I can’t believe it’s not
I can't stand stuff that is made up full of things to pretend it's something it's not. God made Irish butter and Irish butter I shall be eating till I die. That and real milk from cows.

This thread is no doubt because you're seriously concerened about Flora? Or Mumsnet? Or trans people's rights? Or is it another pretend tread about the gehys and what they might be getting up to.

rainmaker

Administrator
They are a private company and they can pursue whatever policies they so decide.

It's a market economy & the bottom line is they do not want to be associated with anything that might threaten their customer base. That is their right.

They have no duty to uphold anyones right to free speech - you'll have to get used to it.

Nebuchadnezzar

They are a private company and they can pursue whatever policies they so decide.

It's a market economy & the bottom line is they do not want to be associated with anything that might threaten their customer base. That is their right.

They have no duty to uphold anyones right to free speech - you'll have to get used to it.
So if one of P.ie’s advertising customers decided to end their business with you on the basis that you have too many ‘transphobic’ posters you wouldn’t have a problem with that?

parentheses

I bet you don't believe that should apply to small beauty salons who refuse to provide services to transwomen.

rainmaker

Administrator
Follow your passion Emily, start that butter thread. This one’s about censorship.
talk about hysterical - no one has been censored, and no one is advocating censorship. One company has decided to take its sponsorship elsewhere.

Nebuchadnezzar

The original twitter complainant, Helen Islan, has history of trying to shut down anyone who says anything critical or sceptical against her transgender beliefs. She was involved in a hate crime prosecution against Miranda Yardley(herself transgender but pro freedom of speech). The case was thrown out of court on day one.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies