• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Focus Ireland TV ad.

davidcameron

I've seen the Focus Ireland ad which shows a child whose hand is being held by an adult. Both are wandering the street at night while other people get ready to celebrate Christmas and the tune is a carol version of the tune of the old Hovis bread ads.

I'm aware that there are adults who are homeless but I find it hard to believe that there are children sleeping rough because if there were then someone would have told social services about it and the children would then be taken into care, which is obviously far from ideal (probably an understatement) but it's better than sleeping rough.

Is the ad exaggerating by showing a child being homeless?

dresden8

The same can be said for people who live in rented accommodation.
Only at a very, very long stretch. That space is theirs while they rent it, and have some, if very limited, protections.

The "homeless" can be moved out of their current accommodation at the drop of a hat. Also they may not be entitled to stay on the premises during the day.

I'm an amateur here I'll admit, there may be better informed people along shortly. But it's not about just having a roof over your head during 8 hours of darkness.

damus

There were 457 children homeless on census night. The Housing Act 1988 provides the legal definition of homelessness. Section 2 of the 1988 Act states that a person should be considered to be homeless if:

• There is no accommodation available which, in the opinion of the authority, he, together with any other person who normally resides with him or who might reasonably be expected to reside with him, can reasonably occupy or remain in occupation of;
  • He is living in a hospital, county home, night shelter or other such institution, and is so living because he has no accommodation of the kind referred to in paragraph (a), and
  • He cannot provide accommodation from his own resources.
It includes;

• People who are sleeping rough.
  • Staying in emergency hostels or refuges.
  • Staying in B&B's on a temporary basis.
  • Staying with family or friends on a temporary basis because they've nowhere else to go and;
  • Staying in squats.
Introduction to homelessness

Census finds 457 children homeless - The Irish Times - Thu, Sep 06, 2012

davidcameron

O
The "homeless" can be moved out of their current accommodation at the drop of a hat. Also they may not be entitled to stay on the premises during the day.
Why would they not be entitled to stay there during the day? I've heard that about hostels and B&Bs and I haven't found the reason for it.

BlackLion

I remember about 10 years ago when i was 15/16 i had just finished a days shopping in Dublin and was inspecting every bit of shopping on the bus as it was interwinding back out of inner city dublin to get on the motorway. anyway as i was settling in i looked out and saw a girl my age sitting down on a flatten cardboard box hugging her knees while at the same time holding up another flatten cardboard box to keep warm.

That image of that girl still is fresh in my mind as the day i saw her. Now everytime i see someone not as lucky as I. I go out of my way to either give them money or if I believe they might spend it on drugs or drink i try to buy them food or clothes usually footwear.

It should be one's duty to help the poor and the vulnerable and theres no excuse not to.

Con Gallagher

I think the definition of homelessness is too broad. My understanding has always been that only sleeping rough constitutes homelessness.
So because your narrow and inaccurate definition differs from the reality, you think the official definition is too broad. How do you describe people in hostels, b&bs, dependent in the kindness of relatives/friends or others with next to no security of tenure waiting for their housing application to be processed?

damus

I remember about 10 years ago when i was 15/16 i had just finished a days shopping in Dublin and was inspecting every bit of shopping on the bus as it was interwinding back out of inner city dublin to get on the motorway. anyway as i was settling in i looked out and saw a girl my age sitting down on a flatten cardboard box hugging her knees while at the same time holding up another flatten cardboard box to keep warm.

That image of that girl still is fresh in my mind as the day i saw her. Now everytime i see someone not as lucky as I. I go out of my way to either give them money or if I believe they might spend it on drugs or drink i try to buy them food or clothes usually footwear.

It should be one's duty to help the poor and the vulnerable and theres no excuse not to.
There was this case a couple of days ago - where Paul Doyle died from suspected hypothermia in Bray.

Bray opens public buildings to homeless - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 11, 2012

dresden8

So because your narrow and inaccurate definition differs from the reality, you think the official definition is too broad. How do you describe people in hostels, b&bs, dependent in the kindness of relatives/friends or others with next to no security of tenure waiting for their housing application to be processed?
You can educate the youngster without abusing him. He asked a question. Educate him.

The Owl

I think the definition of homelessness is too broad. My understanding has always been that only sleeping rough constitutes homelessness.
Well, your understanding is wrong. Let me guess. People who are without their own house/flat either renting or buying it are the ones at fault, and therefore are homeless by choice. Those who are seeking shelter at women's refuges and find there is no room at the inn should go back to the home where the cráp can be beaten out of them, right? Men who were in good jobs and rented or were buying their own apartments suddenly lose their jobs, they have no income, they go on the waiting list for housing by local councils, they are considered "non-urgent" because they have no kids and they are healthy enough, no one will rent a house to them because they have no job and the community welfare officer is not allowed to offer them Rental Allowance until at least 6 weeks have passed since they last received any income and of course they are means tested. As the rental allowance has now dropped, and as rental prices have now increased it is getting more and more difficult to find homes to rent in cities especially.

Parents who are terrified their children will be taken into care if they lose their homes due to non-payment of mortgage are literally living on the streets, in cars, on the floors of friends and relatives. As soon as social workers get to here of this, the children will be taken off them unless housing can be provided by the local authority, immediately. The waiting list is huge.

So you see, or your may not see, that being homeless does not just mean sleeping in a cardboard box in a shop doorway because you are a drug addict or a drunk. There's a thousand different stories out there, and all of them tragic, and shameful to us as a supposed caring society.

dresden8

Again Owl, Dave is asking good questions.

His conclusions are often wrong, him being a young PD type, but less of the attacks.