Food waste

truthforsooth

I find it hard to decide if this should be posted under environment, economics, social justice or plain madness!

According to research, "on the way from the farm to the dining-room table, more than half the food lands on the dump. Most of it before it ever reaches consumers. For instance every other head of lettuce or potato."
http://tastethewaste.com/media/file/201011/TTW-filmflyer-201010.pdf

This waste is built into the production, processing and sale of food through farm, factory, shop and restaurant.

Have a look, if you will, at these two 3-minute videos:
YouTube - Taste the waste trailer
YouTube - "Taste the Waste" - the trailer

I know we have the UK campaign Love Food Hate Waste and the new Irish one StopFoodWaste, both of which aim to educate householders on minimising food waste in the home, but the culture of wasting food seems to be embedded in the entire production, processing and marketing systems of food.

This is obviously a huge environmental issue, given the amount of land that is used for food production and the energy and other inputs involved, but also a notable waste of money and of perfectly edible food.

galleyslave

there's huge waste in food production - case in point - fisheries. Its sickening.

as regards veg, sure it it doesn't look perfect its scrapped... madness

Inda Kenny

Never fear theres an ad running on the radio telling us not to go shopping without a list I kid you not another quango no doubt

truthforsooth

Never fear theres an ad running on the radio telling us not to go shopping without a list I kid you not another quango no doubt
Whatever about a quango, it seems that Europe and the USA throw away enough food every day to feed the world's hungry 3 times over!

Dredger

best quango I can think of is "the real nappy network" in the uk - it's gas
It's not gas, it's sh1t:rolleyes:.

there's huge waste in food production - case in point - fisheries. Its sickening.
+1, the fishermen's hands are ties by insane regulations.

Ireland has the potential to feed 10 times it's population yet most of the veg in supermarkets is imported. A good quantity of the cereals used to make our bread is also imported. All sugar is imported. I estimate that 60%+ of processed foods are imported. Even potatoes are imported ffs. Madness.

Oppenheimer

Just pulled the last of the parsnips from the veg patch - some looked hilarious and most were huge - both factors that would have disqualified them from the supermarket shelves. After they go through the blanching and into the freezer we will have a full freezer load (tall one) of veg and fruit preserved to subsidise us through the winter. All the cut offs and residual pieces go back on the compost. There are very few things that are more satisfying than reducing waste and having tasty food to boot!

USER1234

You should see the mounds of waste food in any cinema screen after any show (usually about 2 or 3 bin bags worth of food and a full bucket of drink!!) it's an utter disgrace!!!

PAD1OH

The majority of waste is wasted money.

a sign of a national mindset.

DeputyEdo

Just pulled the last of the parsnips from the veg patch - some looked hilarious and most were huge - both factors that would have disqualified them from the supermarket shelves. After they go through the blanching and into the freezer we will have a full freezer load (tall one) of veg and fruit preserved to subsidise us through the winter. All the cut offs and residual pieces go back on the compost. There are very few things that are more satisfying than reducing waste and having tasty food to boot!
We had our last parsnips a few weeks ago....and our late crop of spuds got blight, hopefully we can save a few of them :(

Our two stupid plastic greenhouses for torn to shreds in the wind, so we're rightly fooked now for growing stuff over the winter

We throw our food waste into the composter..as well as newspapers/toilet rolls etc.
Getting a wormery soon as well.

New Threads

Most Replies