Footage of Democratic Kampuchea.

SevenStars

Really fascinating given how cut off the country was and just how mysterious that part of the country's history really is. Notice that Son Sen is wearing glasses! So much for the idea that they killed people for wearing them....:rolleyes:

SevenStars

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ns2X6QkOHI]YouTube - Khmer Rouge Military[/ame]

This is the parade to celebrate the taking of Phnom Penh.

SevenStars

Official goverment footage of workers going to a re-opened textile factory.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c1_NCnFlVo&feature=related]YouTube - From Field to Factory[/ame]

SevenStars

Railway repairs and a girl driving a road roller....So much for them being anti-technology!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuEphgZYwX4&feature=related]YouTube - Democratic Kampuchea - Reconstruction[/ame]

Default Now

I remember the Blue Peter Appeal after the Vietnamese liquidated them. I sincerely think that some people have some brain cells missing when they celebrate stuff like this.

SevenStars

I remember the Blue Peter Appeal after the Vietnamese liquidated them. I sincerely think that some people have some brain cells missing when they celebrate stuff like this.
Im not celebrating them....But there are three sides to every story.

I regard the Khmer Rouge as ultra-leftist nationalists.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I've been to Cambodia and recommend it for a holiday, the Anchor Wat Temples are more impressive then the Great Wall or the Pyramids.

You can fire an ak/m16 at a shooting range there for 20 bucks.

I remember being at one of the killing fields with had a temple of skulls, one yank there had a che guevara tshirt.

Last edited:

SevenStars

The whole thing was very weird.....People didnt know about the existence of the "Communist" Party of Kampauchea or who was in charge until 1977! Some people believed that it was the King who was in charge until than!

Cato

SevenStars said:
The whole thing was very weird.....People didnt know about the existence of the "Communist" Party of Kampauchea or who was in charge until 1977! Some people believed that it was the King who was in charge until than!
Elvis?

SevenStars

Big fan of Saloth Sar, are you?
No....As I said he was a nationalist and an ultra-leftist...But still the history is fascinating and also people believe a lot of myths about him and Democratic Kampuchea.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Those women on their way into the factory, all dressed the same and marching in ranks.
The camera doesn't lie.

And what about the vast number of skulls on display in Cambodia? Faked by evil capitalists perhaps?

shutuplaura

Too bad the khymer Rouge leadership ruined their paradise by invading southern Vietnam for caompletely nationalistic reasons. 7 million versus 70 million. Its odd that the leaderships brilliant strategy for the war failed. 'For every one of us they kill we must kill ten of them.'
What gets me is how half heartedly the people fought for their new paradise on earth when the Vietnamese invaded to depose the leadership. Surely a government like that is worth fighting for. They had to be propped up by Vietnam's enemies (including the US and UK from over the border in their refugee camps in Thailand. Disappointing that their people voted with their actions and for the most part tried to evade HR control after the Vietnamese Army kicked the rotten door down.

Seven Stars, have you ever been there?

SevenStars

No. Never been outside of Europe.

SevenStars

Too bad the khymer Rouge leadership ruined their paradise by invading southern Vietnam for caompletely nationalistic reasons. 7 million versus 70 million. Its odd that the leaderships brilliant strategy for the war failed. 'For every one of us they kill we must kill ten of them.'
They were extremely racist...And did have ideas about Cambodians being some sort of master race. The actual killings were people who had been to Vietnam partly because they became so paranoid (as I said before the CPK only announced its existence in 1977), partly because they believed them to be "polluted" power in was so de-centralized that local communes werent monitored by any outside force and often went mad.

shutuplaura

Go then. Its cheap once you get there. Its hard to think of anything good that regieme did because they didn't do very much. Even journo's from eastern European countries were highly critical of what they saw. What they saw was highly stage managed and not representative of how people lived, like the footage you posted.
One journalist - a Yugoslav woman who's name I don't have to hand noticed that no where did she see a single person smile. Its fascinating because its a tragedy, thats all.

Basically it was like a western capitalists parody of a communist state. The people's expectations from the regime were low, they just wanted food and an end to the terrible war. It gave them neither even though it had the means to do so.

shutuplaura

They were extremely racist...And did have ideas about Cambodians being some sort of master race. The actual killings were people who had been to Vietnam partly because they became so paranoid (as I said before the CPK only announced its existence in 1977), partly because they believed them to be "polluted" power in was so de-centralized that local communes werent monitored by any outside force and often went mad.
I know. Khymers with conical hats. And there was no evidence that the Vietnamese were even trying to harm their poxy little revolution. I read that the ethinic Cham population suffered disproportionately, though only saw one book to mention this fact so I'm unsure if its true.

And the thing about the glasses, that was true, depending on the district you were sent to of course. Like everything in DK there was no consistancy of policy, or even orders from the higher leadership. It happened because cadres believed thats what was expected of them.

SevenStars

And the thing about the glasses, that was true, depending on the district you were sent to of course. Like everything in DK there was no consistancy of policy, or even orders from the higher leadership. It happened because cadres believed thats what was expected of them.
Thats the thing that really marks it out...The father of modern Anarchism Michael Bakunin had this idea of "invisible dictatorship" were his secret society would run the post revolutionary society from behind the scenes. Pol Pot was also a huge fan of the anarchist Kropotkin and his ideas about peasants being more "pure" really fits in with classical anarchism.

New Threads

Most Replies