• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Footage of IRA allowing news crew at training camp? 1980s?

diy01

Can anyone identify this video clip?

It seems familiar. I'm sure I've seen it on republican propaganda footage.

It includes a statement from "a representative of the General Headquarters Staff" of the IRA and mentions Thatcher.

Does anyone know from which year the footage is from?

Which TV network was allowed to accompany them?

Bogwarrior

This was filmed in Donegal, if I remember by a French company. The documentary i believe is called "War and peace in Ireland", and is the work of Art Mac Caig. Try google.
In the extended version a bulky guy is seen carrying a general purpose machine gun, wearing a balaclava and combat gear.. A Ballybofey man was later arrested and charged with IRA membership. The evidence against him? He had the same gait, build and walk, as the guy in the video.!!!Unfeckinbelievable.

janepaisley

Re: Footage of IRA allowing news crew at training camp? 1980

diy01 said:
Can anyone identify this video clip?

It seems familiar. I'm sure I've seen it on republican propaganda footage.

It includes a statement from "a representative of the General Headquarters Staff" of the IRA and mentions Thatcher.

Does anyone know from which year the footage is from?

Which TV network was allowed to accompany them?
i reckon its shot in s tyrone / n ,monaghan area and the asu is the tyrone branch with kearney is doin the talkin. its from the mid 80's

Fir Bolg

Re: Footage of IRA allowing news crew at training camp? 1980

A documentary on the IRA for French television.

cullyhanna_man

Bogwarrior said:
This was filmed in Donegal, if I remember by a French company. The documentary i believe is called "War and peace in Ireland", and is the work of Art Mac Caig. Try google.
In the extended version a bulky guy is seen carrying a general purpose machine gun, wearing a balaclava and combat gear.. A Ballybofey man was later arrested and charged with IRA membership. The evidence against him? He had the same gait, build and walk, as the guy in the video.!!!Unfeckinbelievable.
A bit like where the UDA guy forgot to take off his glasses while wearing the balaclava

Bacon-Egg

is that the one when they are hookin up the motar?

diy01

Jane,

What makes you think it was shot in South Tyrone or North Monaghan.

Who is Kearney?

Was this one of the only times the Provos allowed a film company get so up close and personal?

Bogwarrior

cullyhanna_man said:
Bogwarrior said:
A bit like where the UDA guy forgot to take off his glasses while wearing the balaclava
Not really. There are thousands of Donegal mountain-men types who would fit the brick house build of this Volunteer.
As far as I know the UDA guy made two videotaped speeches on the same day. One with balaclava and one without, but both with the same theme, same voice and same glasses. :lol:

diy01

So it could be Donegal. Could be Tyrone or Monaghan.

Either way, why would the IRA want to disclose the location? Or was it "leaked" by those who shot the footage?

Ireland2007

I wouldn't listen to JanePaisley... one of these McCrea type figures who makes things up and presents it as fact... Willie Frazer is another of that sort.

Ciaran

I always thought it was filmed in S/Armagh and North Louth, the forest is the Ravensdale. Apparently one or two of the men have been pointed out to me and fit the bill, i could be wrong.

Gerrry

Website
www.sligowhiplash.com
Ciaran said:
I always thought it was filmed in S/Armagh and North Louth, the forest is the Ravensdale. Apparently one or two of the men have been pointed out to me and fit the bill, i could be wrong.
I think you are mate. Bog is right.

The Hallion

There was more than one such film made. One training camp video from the mid 1980s was featured in a BBC Panorama documentary. AP/RN did a centre-spread photo shoot around the same time The video showing the launch of a barrack-buster could not have featured Padraig McKearney as that technology came years after Loughgall.

Ciaran

Gerrry said:
Ciaran said:
I think you are mate. Bog is right.
It was ****3rs from south Armagh telling me that, lying £uckdogs

cameramonkey

it was made by art mc maccaig.he also made patriot games in the 80s, I think a very good film. The footage I think was shot in Leitrim north.

RetiredProvo

It was filmed on the Donegal / Tyrone border in an area called Meenreagh.
The day for the filming was specifically chosen as it was a misty foggy day and the Alouette helicopter from Finar camp couldn't do fog.
;)