• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

For God to consider you a holy woman, obey your husband: UK church votes against women bishops

Sync

BBC News - Church of England general synod votes against women bishops

The general synod of the Church of England has voted narrowly against the appointment of women as bishops.

The measure was passed by the synod's houses of bishops and clergy but was rejected by the House of Laity.

Supporters vowed to continue their campaign but it will be five years before a similar vote can be held.
The votes were 44 for and three against with two abstentions in the House of Bishops, 148 for and 45 against in the House of Clergy, and 132 for and 74 against in the House of Laity.

The vote in the House of Laity, at 64%, was just short of the required majority - six more "yes" votes were needed.
So England's church votes to be less advanced than New Zealand, a country populated solely by human/sheep hybrids. It's a bit of an upset as it looked to be going through, but the recent tactic of the no side was to state that if it was a Yes it would destroy the church (with some parishes refusing to recognise their bishops) while if it was a No then nothing would really happen. Which....is an argument that seems to have worked.

A bit ridiculous in this day and age.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It never ceases to amaze me how people who are not members of a church and are never likely to be, seem to think they know what's best for it.

borntorum

I don't understand the logic of allowing female priests but not bishops.

But private groups and clubs should be entitled to male their own rules. The fact that this happens to be the State church is neither here nor there

potholedogger

Could it be a matter of the lads voting to keep the top jobs and promotions for themselves?

toconn

So England's church votes to be less advanced than New Zealand, a country populated solely by human/sheep hybrids. It's a bit of an upset as it looked to be going through, but the recent tactic of the no side was to state that if it was a Yes it would destroy the church (with some parishes refusing to recognise their bishops) while if it was a No then nothing would really happen. Which....is an argument that seems to have worked.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments about the COE what's with the digs at New Zealand and its people , comment not really required to promote your point of view surely ?

Cellach

Funnily enough it was the laity representatives that rejected it (or at least, 2/3 of them couldn't be got to support it), the clerics and the bishops were all for it. Why not borrow a bit more from Catholicism and simply not consult the laity at all?

potholedogger

Would the decision have been subject to divine guidance?

Last edited:

Edo

So England's church votes to be less advanced than New Zealand, a country populated solely by human/sheep hybrids..............
Oh - Sidey won't like that comment about NZ - he has gone there because of their superior state to get away from us paddy troglodytes..................get ready for a Sidey sized tongue lashin Sync!

On the substantive point - no surprise there really - reform happens in swings - at the moment - they are catching their breath after a big reform and modernization period - also the Anglican community is in flux - the smaller it gets - the more vocal and influential the conservatives get - its the same in the RCC

EvotingMachine0197

Oh - Sidey won't like that comment about NZ - he has gone there because of their superior state to get away from us paddy troglodytes..................get ready for a Sidey sized tongue lashin Sync!

On the substantive point - no surprise there really - reform happens in swings - at the moment - they are catching their breath after a big reform and modernization period - also the Anglican community is in flux - the smaller it gets - the more vocal and influential the conservatives get - its the same in the RCC
I think Sidey might be more concerned by the fact that people are even having serious votes about all this 'camel herding sky fairy loo laa nonsense'.

I just think its all ridiculous to the point of being funny.

Edo

I think Sidey might be more concerned by the fact that people are even having serious votes about all this 'camel herding sky fairy loo laa nonsense'.

I just think its all ridiculous to the point of being funny.
in fairness to the CofE - I have been led to believe that a belief in God is optional!

Glenshane4

It never ceases to amaze me how people who are not members of a church and are never likely to be, seem to think they know what's best for it.
That is exactly how I feel. Just a few months ago we had several non-Catholics shooting off their mouths about the suitability of Cardinal Brady to be Catholic bishop of Armagh. Culprits included Ruairi Quinn, Fergus Finlay and the editor of the Belfast Telegraph.

Tea Party Patriot

The more in line with secular structures it tries to become the more actual participating members it looses as it becomes further removed form conventional Christian doctrine. The fact is that a lot of moves it has made were to appeal to and appease the wider secular population who in general don't participate in the C of E anyway and further moves to appease their sensibilities won't attract them back.

44percent

That is exactly how I feel. Just a few months ago we had several non-Catholics shooting off their mouths about the suitability of Cardinal Brady to be Catholic bishop of Armagh. Culprits included Ruairi Quinn, Fergus Finlay and the editor of the Belfast Telegraph.
Well that would be grand if he just talked to the faithful and he wanted all his rules only applied to the faithful and that was all he wanted. But you see he doesn't leave it at that...he goes and sticks his oar into how non believers live their lives and well if he does that they can give it an oul lash back.

EvotingMachine0197

The more in line with secular structures it tries to become the more actual participating members it looses as it becomes further removed form conventional Christian doctrine. The fact is that a lot of moves it has made were to appeal to and appease the wider secular population who in general don't participate in the C of E anyway and further moves to appease their sensibilities won't attract them back.
The inevitable endpoint for a religious organisation subjected to continual modernisation is pointlessness.

johnfás

Ignoring for a moment the histrionics of those who claim no interest in religion but are incapable of steering clear of threads which discuss religious content, the singular reason that they failed is that they didn't make space for those who disagreed. It throws up an interesting dilemma for them; whether they should compromise and make the space which will be in the form of flying bishops or whether they should schism. The former is more likely.

The Owl

If these churches banned non-whites from becoming priests or bishops there would be bloody murder, and rightly so. But women - it's official. We are inferior. And people wonder why I'm an atheist? I don't so much blame the Sky Fairy as it's representatives. If it's spokesMEN were not such freakish misonygists and war mongers, the Sky Fairy might get a better press.

Last edited:

Fra_south_Derry

If these churches banned non-whites from becoming priests or bishops there would be bloody murder, and rightly so. But women - it's official. We are inferior. And people wonder why I'm an atheist? I don't so much blame the Sky Fairy and it's representatives. If it's spokesMEN were not such freakish misonygists and war mongers, the Sky Fairy might get a better press.
Was there not a fall out recently in an atheist organisation about treatment of women in said org.

johnfás

If these churches banned non-whites from becoming priests or bishops there would be bloody murder, and rightly so. But women - it's official. We are inferior. And people wonder why I'm an atheist? I don't so much blame the Sky Fairy and it's representatives. If it's spokesMEN were not such freakish misonygists and war mongers, the Sky Fairy might get a better press.
Depends on what church you talk to. The Church of Ireland permits the ordination of women bishops although it has yet to install one. The President of the Methodist Church in Ireland next year will be a woman, Rev Dr Heather Morris, who it would be hoped will be invited to contribute to discourse on on the media rather than having singularly men and singularly catholic men as usual.

The Owl

Was there not a fall out recently in an atheist organisation about treatment of women in said org.
Don't belong to any atheist organisations. As I said before in another thread, with humans the way they are, before the first year was out even in an atheist organisation there would be some who would be genuflecting to the Chair of the Organisation. Before the first 100 years were past, we would have 'glorified members now passed'. and soon would be bowing to a statue of Richard Dawkins. Guaranteed. It's part of the human psychology.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies