'for me to say I'm Irish, that's wrong for me to say because I wasn't born here' - Bundee Aki

Catalpast

for me to say I’m Irish, that’s wrong for me to say because I wasn’t born here

So say's Bundee Aki of the Connacht Rugby Team

If he's not Irish - and he accepts he is not - then why is he lining out for Ireland in our Match against South Africa next Saturday

Seems like his inclusion is raising some hackles in Irish Rugby circles

- and who could blame them?

Neil Francis believes the inclusion of Bundee Aki in the Ireland squad is "fundamentally wrong" and doesn’t respect the integrity of international rugby.
Joe Schmidt’s side take on South Africa this Saturday at the Aviva Stadium (kick-off 5.30pm, live on RTÉ 2), and Connacht centre Aki is in line to make his Test debut.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/1107/918094-neil-francis/

Sync

What fresh shyte is this? Zoo.
I'm genuinely curious as to what News Alerts Cat has in place to instantly identify anything to do with dem dere furners.

Supra

If he's not Irish - and he accepts he is not - then why is he lining out for Ireland in our Match against South Africa next Saturday

Neil Francis believes the inclusion of Bundee Aki in the Ireland squad is "fundamentally wrong" and doesn’t respect the integrity of international rugby.
Joe Schmidt’s side take on South Africa this Saturday at the Aviva Stadium (kick-off 5.30pm, live on RTÉ 2), and Connacht centre Aki is in line to make his Test debut.

The RFU do not get to decide on nationality. The get to decide who can play for who in Rugby.
What next? Will you be accepting UFCs decisions on who is or isn't a certain nationality?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

Joe Schmidt’s side take on South Africa this Saturday at the Aviva Stadium (kick-off 5.30pm, live on RTÉ 2), and Connacht centre Aki is in line to make his Test debut.

its not about Irishness but the rules of the game, would Neil Francis reject him if he moved here when he was 1?

Last edited:

Catalpast

Francis cited that interview as further evidence of a diluted international rugby arena.
"That is fundamentally wrong. That is ethically and morally wrong in terms of representing your country. Handing out jerseys to people who say that is fundamentally wrong."

Its a fair point

- if we 'globalise' Ireland's Rugby Team

- then we are blocking young Irish players from ever getting the chance to represent Ireland at International level

The day we field a Team where most players have no prior connection to Ireland

- is the day fans interest in the Sport will start to die....

D

Deleted member 48908

I'm genuinely curious as to what News Alerts Cat has in place to instantly identify anything to do with dem dere furners.
He's a bit of a history buff. His research of The Irish Curse has led to certain inferiority complexes.

gerhard dengler

International Rugby Board allows nations to select players who have played in the domestic leagues for 3 years, to be eligible for selection to the national team.

Of course each national union can decide to implement, or not implement, that policy.

Neil Francis argument is that these selections deprive the native born player an opportunity to play for their national team, when the union implement this policy.

Supra

International Rugby Board allows nations to select players who have played in the domestic leagues for 3 years, to be eligible for selection to the national team.

Of course each national union can decide to implement, or not implement, that policy.

Neil Francis argument is that these selections deprive the native born player an opportunity to play for their national team, when the union implement this policy.
What does it matter if it's professional?

Erudite Caveman

Neil Francis says stuff.

Can the OP name an international test side that doesn't have a Bundee in their ranks?

And any chance of a link to the Jared Payne thread?

Paddyc

Neil Francis look at me, look at me sh1te....

He makes Joe Brolly look reasoned.

gerhard dengler

What does it matter if it's professional?
I think it matters in certain contexts.

Joe Schmidt has spoken about trying to "future proof" the well being of the game in Ireland. In the context of Simon Zebo, for example, future proofing means not selecting an Irish player playing rugby abroad, rightly or wrongly.

In that context, I fail to see how selecting a foreign born player to play for Ireland is "future proofing" the wellbeing of the Irish game.

hollandia

Foreign-Born Players in 2017 Six Nations - Americas Rugby News

Finlay Bealham TH Australia Grandparent
Ultan Dillane LO France Parent
CJ Stander FL South Africa Residency (2015)
Jamie Heaslip N8 Israel Parent
Kieran Marmion SH England Parent
Luke McGrath SH Canada Parent
Brendan Mullins, the former Irish great was born in Lebanon IIRC

This also makes interesting reading...

Where every All Black was born (+interactive graphic) - NZ Herald

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/03/15/are-the-wallabies-becoming-too-much-like-the-kiwis/

Supra

I think it matters in certain contexts.

Joe Schmidt has spoken about trying to "future proof" the well being of the game in Ireland. In the context of Simon Zebo, for example, future proofing means not selecting an Irish player playing rugby abroad, rightly or wrongly.

In that context, I fail to see how selecting a foreign born player to play for Ireland is "future proofing" the wellbeing of the Irish game.
Having a stronger team could promote the game better and raise standards across the board.

eoghanacht

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies