• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Foreign nationals 'involved in widespread welfare fraud'

Rapisco

Todays Indo

A major cross-border investigation has reportedly uncovered widespread social welfare fraud by asylum seekers and other immigrants.
Reports this morning said the inquiry had uncovered significant numbers of foreign nationals taking advantage of the common travel area between the Republic and the UK to defraud the Irish Exchequer.

Some of the fraudsters were reportedly continuing to get Irish social welfare benefits paid into their bank accounts despite having moved to Britain.

One Nigerian couple was also reportedly found to be registered for benefits despite owning a four-star hotel in Lagos, while a foreign woman living in Co Meath was found to be claiming benefits of almost €3,000 per month even though her husband was working as a fully qualified doctor in Belfast.

Full story
http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=98213

commentator

Well what to say. Predictable and everyone knows already.

Question is not whether it is happening. Of course it is and many nigerians are fraudsters. Question is what will be done about it. Probably nothing much.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Was gonna post this but has already been posted. All the more reason for a crackdown on this nonsense of asylum-seeking in a country far, far away from conflict zones.

newFF

commentator said:

Question is not whether it is happening. Of course it is and many nigerians are fraudsters. Question is what will be done about it. Probably nothing much.
Wasnt McDowell moving a bill last week which would result in expulsion of immigrant etc where they were proven to be involved in criminality in some shape or form?

Regardless, its unfortunate but "Nigerian" and "Fraud" almost go hand in hand in this type of article.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
newFF said:
commentator said:

Wasnt McDowell moving a bill last week which would result in expulsion of immigrant etc where they were proven to be involved in criminality in some shape or form?

Regardless, its unfortunate but "Nigerian" and "Fraud" almost go hand in hand in this type of article.
If the Supreme Court tries to strike down this new law, then McDowell should call another referendum so the people can give their answer.

hiding behind a poster

Well fortunately asylum-seeker numbers here are at their lowest for ten years, so its less of a problem than in might otherwise be. But in reality, whats the solution to this?

1) We have international obligations in terms of asylum, that we can't go back on - so we can't "close the ports".

2) If the problem is people claiming in both the UK and the ROI, do we want to start policing the border with the North? Huge political and resource implications there.

3) So given that the Irish are hardly amateurs themselves when it comes to welfare fraud, surely the solution is to tighten up the policing of welfare fraud in general - along with providing extra resources to the asylum process, so that decisions can be made faster, and the need for asylum seekers to get their hands on money would therefore be less.

farnaby

hiding behind a poster said:
Well fortunately asylum-seeker numbers here are at their lowest for ten years, so its less of a problem than in might otherwise be. But in reality, whats the solution to this?

1) We have international obligations in terms of asylum, that we can't go back on - so we can't "close the ports".

2) If the problem is people claiming in both the UK and the ROI, do we want to start policing the border with the North? Huge political and resource implications there.

3) So given that the Irish are hardly amateurs themselves when it comes to welfare fraud, surely the solution is to tighten up the policing of welfare fraud in general - along with providing extra resources to the asylum process, so that decisions can be made faster, and the need for asylum seekers to get their hands on money would therefore be less.
I'd add that payments should not be continuously paid into bank accounts without scheduled checks that the recipients (including children) are still based in ireland. You don't get paid in work without turning up at the workplace; it's hardly denying civil liberties to enforce a 'checking-in' process for all welfare recipients (Irish included).

FutureTaoiseach

Website
hiding behind a poster said:

I resent point 3 and have not seen the evidence. Prove it. On 1, I think we should press in the EU for a renegotiation of the UN Refugee Convention to change our "international obligations". We are not under any obligation to allow people to come to Ireland to claim asylum if they have already entered another EU state, hence the govt having placed Gardai at other EU ports in agreement with their govts ad the tightening up of visa-rules. On policing the border with the North I say yes we should but of course if we havd a UI then we could stop the illegals at NI's ports so in the long run that is what I would hope for.

The OD

Surely we can come up with a 'final solution' to all these nasty non - caucasians polluting our gene pool and ripping us off?

I reckon big yellow badges would be a good start....

kerrynorth

The OD said:
Surely we can come up with a 'final solution' to all these non - caucasians polluting our gene pool and ripping us off?

If you have nothing constructive and intelligent to say then you are better off saying nothing. If I or many others on this site with strong views on this matter said anything like you did (even in jest) we would be pilloried from a height and you could open a book on the number of times we would be called rascists. :evil:

Catalpa

The OD said:
Surely we can come up with a 'final solution' to all these nasty non - caucasians polluting our gene pool and ripping us off?

What we are getting now is the Final Solution with the Irish at the recieving end. :?

This is Ethnic Cleansing by Stealth.

Pidge

Jesus. This is a real eye-opener.

I, as an official member of the PC lefty liberal thought-police brigade, do hereby retract the belief that no immigrants ever commit crimes - ever.

I just hope that in time, family and friends will find it in their hearts to forgive us all one day.

Catalpa

Pidge said:

I, as an official member of the PC lefty liberal thought-police brigade, do hereby retract the belief that no immigrants ever commit crimes - ever.

I just hope that in time, my family and friends will find it in their hearts to forgive us all one day.
It's probably an eye opener for you Pidge but if you lived in Blanch all this would come as no surprise.

People arn't living here on fresh air you know- the money has to come from somewhere to live in one of the 20 most expensive cities in the World.

But if you know how people who have no jobs yet can afford to live in 3 bed semi Ds, car, mobile, good cloths, bring up kids etc and do it all on one round of social welfare please let me know so I can jack in the day job! :wink:

Pidge

Catalpa said:
Pidge said:

I just hope that in time, my family and friends will find it in their hearts to forgive us all one day.
It's probably an eye opener for you Pidge but if you lived in Blanch all this would come as no surprise.

People arn't living here on fresh air you know- the money has to come from somewhere to live in one of the 20 most expensive cities in the World.

But if you know how people who have no jobs yet can afford to live in 3 bed semi Ds, car, mobile, good cloths, bring up kids etc and do it all on one round of social welfare please let me know so I can jack in the day job! :wink:
Now now Catalpa, are you equating black people with asylum seekers again? I thought that we'd be through this...

Eddiepops

Catalpa said:
The OD said:

What we are getting now is the Final Solution with the Irish at the recieving end. :?

Holy crap, that's extreme even for u C. Careful now!

Catalpa

Pidge said:
Catalpa said:
Pidge said:

Now now Catalpa, are you equating black people with asylum seekers again? I thought that we'd be through this...
I'm not equating black people with asylum seekers.

Most Blacks are not asylum seekers. Though most asylum seekers are Black.

Is that fair enough?

Catalpa

Eddiepops said:
Catalpa said:
The OD said:

Holy crap, that's extreme even for u C. Careful now!
What is happening in this city right now is extreme.

What is worrysome is how much longer we can go on before it all goes seriously belly up.

I really do worry that if and when an economic downturn comes about (pretty well a certainty) then we could see some very ugly outcomes.

But it's OK Pidge. You can sit nice and smug in your nice little suburban 'Whites only' housing estate in South county Dublin and watch it all unfold on TV! 8)

Pidge

Catalpa said:
Catalpa said:

Pidge said:
I'm not equating black people with asylum seekers.
Right, so how do you make the leap from seeing people with houses with cars, mobiles etc to judging that they have no jobs? It's quite a leap.