Foreigners Coming Here Taking Our Jobs. "I think it's wrong. It does piss you off. I want to see Irish guys in there"

YesSireeeBob

Foreigners Coming Here Taking Our Jobs. "I think it's wrong. It does piss you off. I want to see Irish guys in there"

'It does piss you off': Fitzgerald blasts 'wrong' use of residency rules - Independent.ie

A rugby player Bundee Aki from New Zealand signed a three-year contract with Connacht - which means he will be eligible to play for Ireland next year.

Luke Fitzgerald, an Irish player is angry at the residency rule that allows this.

Some of his quotes

"I think it's wrong," "That's controversial and it's no reflection on those guys. They're doing everything within the rules.

I want to see Irish guys in there.

"Are we not good enough to fill the spots?

"You've come all the way up through the systems and then all of a sudden some guy comes in and is perceived to be better because he's from a different place and it's, 'Let's get this guy in'.

"It's really disappointing. It really dilutes it. What's the point? It's like Barbarians versus Barbarians, why do that? I don't understand that."

Surely this is what Irish workers have been facing for the last decade or more - competition for jobs, from people all over the world.
If they had said things like "Are we not good enough to fill the spots?", "It's really disappointing. It really dilutes it", "I want to see Irish guys in there.", their views would not have been allowed in a national newspaper - and with comments turned on.

No doubt many will say, it's a different situation, but I wonder would a GAA player who lost out a county place to a newcomer, be allowed to get away with saying such things.

"Are Kerry men good enough to fill the spots?", "It's really disappointing. It really dilutes the Kerry team ", "I want to see Kerry guys in there."

Under the new permitted way of thinking, Luke Fitzgerald, should have said:
After 3 year, Bundee Aki, will be new Irish, and he will be as Irish as the rest of use, so Cead Mile failte to Bundee.

blinding

I think there should be a certain number of TDs to be benchmarked to be replaced by the % of immigrants in the population .

If 5/10 % of the population are immigrants then 5/10 % of the TDs should be immigrants .

If/When the New TDs are willing to work for 20% less are are not interested in the Gold Plated pensions that our current TDs enjoy then all TDs wages and pensions should be amended appropriately .

If its OK for the ordinary people surely it must be Ok for our TDs .

It would also be appropriate for the upper echelons of the Civil Service.

Supra

'It does piss you off': Fitzgerald blasts 'wrong' use of residency rules - Independent.ie

A rugby player Bundee Aki from New Zealand signed a three-year contract with Connacht - which means he will be eligible to play for Ireland next year.

Luke Fitzgerald, an Irish player is angry at the residency rule that allows this.

Some of his quotes

Surely this is what Irish workers have been facing for the last decade or more - competition for jobs, from people all over the world.
If they had said things like "Are we not good enough to fill the spots?", "It's really disappointing. It really dilutes it", "I want to see Irish guys in there.", their views would not have been allowed in a national newspaper - and with comments turned on.

No doubt many will say, it's a different situation, but I wonder would a GAA player who lost out a county place to a newcomer, be allowed to get away with saying such things.

"Are Kerry men good enough to fill the spots?", "It's really disappointing. It really dilutes the Kerry team ", "I want to see Kerry guys in there."

After 3 year, Bundee Aki, will be new Irish, and he will be as Irish as the rest of use, so Cead Mile failte to Bundee.
I think it's different in the GAA. The GAA is not a profession.

Has the OP had their head under a rock?

"Taking our jobs" is the rallying cry of the keep 'em out lobby and has been a feature of the ongoing and sometimes noisy debate about immigration.

The Field Marshal

Last edited:

statsman

Some of his quotes

Point of order, Luke Fitzgerald is a former Irish rugby player.

owedtojoy

Some of his quotes

As a Connacht supporter I embrace Bundee Aki and Pat Lam with both hands.

You get a bit fed up getting beaten by French and English clubs that are not afraid to buy in Pacific Island talent.

We do not have a full team of Akis, but his presence will raise the talent level in the squad, and victories that he helps bring will enlarge the talent pool for Connacht rugby.

Besides, who complained about Doug Howlett and Jim Williams, a New Zealander and an Australian, playing for Munster?

In fact Akee is a good example of where immigration helps - by bringing rare skills here, he passes those skills on to Irish talent, the victories he helps win are for an Irish team, and we are enriched for it.

blinding

You get a bit fed up getting beaten by French and English clubs that are not afraid to buy in Pacific Island talent.

We do not have a full team of Akis, but his presence will raise the talent level in the squad, and victories that he helps bring will enlarge the talent pool for Connacht rugby.

Besides, who complained about Doug Howlett and Jim Williams, a New Zealander and an Australian, playing for Munster?

In fact Akee is a good example of where immigration helps - by bringing rare skills here, he passes those skills on to Irish talent, the victories he helps win are for an Irish team, and we are enriched for it.
We also need to be doing this with our TDs......

They are surely in need of help to up their game....The Gold plated pension certainly ain't working on improving them.....

ShoutingIsLeadership

OP is a hypocrite. P.ie is hosted on a US server, yet he/she posts here.

Tut tut.

Also, the comparison between GAA and rugby is wrong. Foreigners playing GAA are doing so because they live here, rugby players are here because they play.

Oh and the b1tching about foreigners working in Tesco...why are you shopping in a foreign shop? Traitor.

stakerwallace

Almost as bad as Garryowen poaching a Young Munster's player: unforgivable

Betson

Has the OP had their head under a rock?

"Taking our jobs" is the rallying cry of the keep 'em out lobby and has been a feature of the ongoing and sometimes noisy debate about immigration.
I suspect he knows that well.

Not sure but I think the point been made is that when low paid workers give out about immigrants coming in and taking 'their' jobs , undercutting their conditions etc , they are automatically branded racist , narrow minded etc etc

Will the same be said about Fitzgerald or any other middle class person who complains about more elite type jobs been taken by foreigners.

In other words If the Irish Times board etc said they were going to employ much cheaper journalists etc from overseas on lower paid contracts would their existing journalists still be singing off the open borders hymsheet as they are now.

thelimit

Not sure but I think the point been made is that when low paid workers give out about immigrants coming in and taking 'their' jobs , undercutting their conditions etc , they are automatically branded racist , narrow minded etc etc

Will the same be said about Fitzgerald or any other middle class person who complains about more elite type jobs been taken by foreigners.

In other words If the Irish Times board etc said they were going to employ much cheaper journalists etc from overseas on lower paid contracts would their existing journalists still be singing off the open borders hymsheet as they are now.
bang nail on head

Website
www.merrionstreet.ie
OP is a hypocrite. P.ie is hosted on a US server, yet he/she posts here.

Tut tut.

Also, the comparison between GAA and rugby is wrong. Foreigners playing GAA are doing so because they live here, rugby players are here because they play.

Oh and the b1tching about foreigners working in Tesco...why are you shopping in a foreign shop? Traitor.
Are u sure? I thought .ie domains had to be on local servers.

The_SR

I think he has a point with players moving here and being parachuted into the Irish setup. I don't like it in football but at least they are diaspora. In terms of professional sport at provincial level, no rugby fan wants no foreign players as they are why the teams can compete. The rest is the usual alt right wingnut stuff

The_SR

But playing for Ireland is not a job. Read the article etc.

Truth.ie

One of the biggest misconceptions in this place is that there are posters who hate foreigners or immigration.
People have a problem with
1. The scale.
2. The speed.
3. The quality of some of the immigrants.

I think a little immigration is healthy. Too much is unhealthy.
Most people just want to make sure we get the right people (hardworking taxpayers) in the country and keep the riff-raff out (Romas beggers. Nigerian fraudsters, Chinese Triads etc)

Politics matters

I couldn't, like most people in Ireland give a toss about rugby. But it would be silly to have the man representing the national team, he isn't Irish.

GrainneDee

I don't mind people coming to work here, but I do have a problem with someone who is not Irish representing Ireland, in sport or in any other forum.

Politics matters

I think he has a point with players moving here and being parachuted into the Irish setup. I don't like it in football but at least they are diaspora. In terms of professional sport at provincial level, no rugby fan wants no foreign players as they are why the teams can compete. The rest is the usual alt right wingnut stuff
If you want Ireland to be able to compete against far superior countries such as Australia and New Zealand, then perhaps the sport needs to be taught to children of all economic backgrounds and not just the fee paying school kids.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies