Foreigners possibly to blame for mystery Sussex gas cloud.

Wascurito

A British toxicologist has said that "German or French traffic pollution" might be to blame for a chlorine-smelling haze that blew onto the Sussex coast yesterday. In an interview with Sky News, John Hoskins said that "Certainly it came across the Channel".

The gas or haze caused much discomfort to sun-bathers on the coast with people reporting breathing difficulties and eye irritation.

I watched the interview with Mr Hoskins with a sense of disbelief. If it came from France, why were there no reports of it in France before it reached La Manche? The German traffic thing is even more ridiculous. How could such a haze cross from Germany without 17 million Dutch people and 11 million Belgians not notice?

Also, how could a cloud cross 100km of sea and not be dispersed? Clouds don't behave like that at sea. All in all, I'd expect a scientist to be a lot more scientific. The Sky interviewer did express some bafflement but no-one on Twitter found it as hilarious as I did.

Mystery gas cloud on Sussex coast 'a meteorological phenomenon'

Strawberry

I blame the Brexit windbags, they've talked so much sh1te they've made a poisonous cloud over England.

Wascurito

I blame the Brexit windbags, they've talked so much sh1te they've made a poisonous cloud over England.
I can only assume that the Brexit mentality had some effect on the toxicologist chap. His random choice of the Two Major Foreign Baddies is significant, I think. :lol;

GDPR

Of course it was the French, remember Monty Python?

"I fart in your general direction."

Hewson

Strange incident alright. It reminded me of that battle in Co Tipperary some years back between a local cattle farmer and a chemical plant (I forget the name) that dragged on for years. He lost quite a few cattle which he put down to noxious fumes from the plant. The plant owners fought him in the courts for quite a while before a court eventually found in his favour. He was a nervous wreck by then.

The most likely explanation for this latest case is an accidental release of some chemical fog from a plant in northern France.

That's assuming there isn't a boat in the English Channel with a couple of ISIS boys waiting for a fair wind before unloading their poisonous gases into the air.

Gin Soaked

Typical EU airborne particulates, not respecting the free will of the proud British people. Just as well they have that GBP* 350m a week spare for the NHS. They can sod their Soft Brexit.

*British Peso...

Strange incident alright. It reminded me of that battle in Co Tipperary some years back between a local cattle farmer and a chemical plant (I forget the name) that dragged on for years. He lost quite a few cattle which he put down to noxious fumes from the plant. The plant owners fought him in the courts for quite a while before a court eventually found in his favour. He was a nervous wreck by then.

The most likely explanation for this latest case is an accidental release of some chemical fog from a plant in northern France.

That's assuming there isn't a boat in the English Channel with a couple of ISIS boys waiting for a fair wind before unloading their poisonous gases into the air.
If it was closer to Dover I would understand BUT location wise area is beside between Newhaven and Eastbourne and distance to France is some 80km to Dieppe.

AIS will provide marine movements and would suggest this is likely source as it doesn't appear any French plants have reported leaks over the weekend.

Hewson

If it was closer to Dover I would understand BUT location wise area is beside between Newhaven and Eastbourne and distance to France is some 80km to Dieppe.

AIS will provide marine movements and would suggest this is likely source as it doesn't appear any French plants have reported leaks over the weekend.
It's still an open question, I guess, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the failure of chemical plants to report mishaps.

The operators of Chernobyl, Sellafield (Windscale) and Three Mile Island were all slow off the mark for potentially (and actually) more calamitous events.

The weather and air conditions in Bray-dunes, just east of Dunquerque were splendid yesterday. The only blots on the landscape were my occasional foul gaseous expulsions but in the absence of any appreciable breeze these were strictly localised.

Hewson

Well, no-one has a diagnosis yet. However, a cloud of gas travelling across from northern France would have been a lot more dispersed. More importantly, the winds were blowing lightly and from the east. Not the south.
Wind directions vary, even during a prevailing wind. An easterly wind from north-eastern France could still potentially pollute the south of England.

Anyway, I'm sure the Brits will be happy to pin it on the French/Belgians/Germans until the divorce is finalised.

ruserious

Soon the Brits will be putting a tariff on French Cross Channel Flatulence.

Wascurito

Wind directions vary, even during a prevailing wind. An easterly wind from north-eastern France could still potentially pollute the south of England.

Anyway, I'm sure the Brits will be happy to pin it on the French/Belgians/Germans until the divorce is finalised.
Indeed, there is a part of Sussex that juts into the Channel placing it directly west of parts of extreme NE France.

On the other hand, at least one report says that "the 'cloud' rolled in from the West [...] against the very light winds which should have driven in from the east".

*Shrugs*

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies