Forget the border....

McSlaggart

"Additionally, British farmers will view any deal with Australia as a precursor to a systemic opening of UK agriculture markets to the rest of the world, and the US in particular. When newspaper headlines proclaim that Australia will demand the UK accept hormone beef as a condition of any trade agreement — an issue traditionally associated with the US — it does nothing to allay suspicions that friendly Australia is a Trojan horse for Trump and industrialised American agriculture. We don't yet know the real strength of the UK farming lobby, but if trade negotiations between the two countries do begin in earnest, I suspect we will find out soon enough."

Why Britain's vision for post-Brexit trade deals is probably an illusion - Business Insider

After brexit I think the agri food sector in northern Ireland faces destruction. If anyone disagrees with my conclusion could you please give your analysis.

statsman

You're in OP overdrive, McS.

petaljam

Unfortunately I think you are correct - or else that it will survive only by dropping food safety standards right to the bottom.

Hormone- and systematic antibiotic treatment of animals will be the only way to compete in the American, NZ and Australian export markets, and since that is also what will be coming into the country anyway, if EU regulations are lifted, NI meat won't be able to compete in the UK or abroad without going down the same path.

McSlaggart

You're in OP overdrive, McS.

“May you live in interesting times,”

A JFK quote and I think a made up Chinese curse. Such times that the leader of the DUP can say that she would probably leave N Ireland at the outcome of a referendum and it not be all over the papers. FF planning on moving north of the great wall without clarifying the move with the party they hope to take over. The conservatives consulting JK for some magical thinking solutions for that darn border.

between the bridges

Ahnowslobberings will be along to complain about duplicate OP's...

Roll_On

"Additionally, British farmers will view any deal with Australia as a precursor to a systemic opening of UK agriculture markets to the rest of the world, and the US in particular. When newspaper headlines proclaim that Australia will demand the UK accept hormone beef as a condition of any trade agreement — an issue traditionally associated with the US — it does nothing to allay suspicions that friendly Australia is a Trojan horse for Trump and industrialised American agriculture. We don't yet know the real strength of the UK farming lobby, but if trade negotiations between the two countries do begin in earnest, I suspect we will find out soon enough."

Why Britain's vision for post-Brexit trade deals is probably an illusion - Business Insider

After brexit I think the agri food sector in northern Ireland faces destruction. If anyone disagrees with my conclusion could you please give your analysis.
This is quite dangerous for the Republic of Ireland, NI food is often branded as 'Irish' complete with a little tricolor flag. We need assurances that a UK outside of EU regulation will not try to market their food as 'Irish'. Of course at this stage there way well be no brexit at all. May has a scheme to stop it I'd imagine.

McSlaggart

This is quite dangerous for the Republic of Ireland, NI food is often branded as 'Irish' complete with a little tricolor flag. We need assurances that a UK outside of EU regulation will not try to market their food as 'Irish'. Of course at this stage there way well be no brexit at all. May has a scheme to stop it I'd imagine.
The other problem will me the illegal shipping of foodstuff across the border to get the best price after brexit.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
As Ireland's only real industry of note agriculture and attendant exports is critically important.

I've said in a few debates that there is a sunset clause on current EU subsidy support for agriculture given that Chinese and American pressure will come heavily down on removal of subsidies in the end at GATT and WTO talks.

The future for the small to mid-size farm is uncertain in my opinion and we will probably see the emergence of a dynamic which means larger, more cost effective farms and probably industrially sized as opposed to the old model we have now of many small and mid sized farms.

Oddly enough the significant landowners with estates who do very well out of EU subsidies even though they are not productive with their land may prove to be a stumbling block to removal of subsidies for a while but ultimately their access to the EU subsidy system will probably end at some point as well.

The Brexit issue is probably not as large a problem as this overall issue of the end of EU agricultural subsidies, their phasing out in the face of trade demands from the rest of the world as the market will naturally find a way to flow around any protectionism as it always does.

AhNowStop

Only people with an extremely low IQ or a high level of bigotry or a combination of both could possibly think that Brexit will be good for the NI agri food sector.....

You've heard of the Doggy I presume :shock: .... and him a farmer too :roll: ffs

Roll_On

Agriculture represents about 2% of GDP and about 5% of the workforce. Obviously it's in our national interest to keep a domestic farming industry but government should demand efficiencies from the sector. The current joke of subsidizing feed for animals has raised quite a few eyebrows among struggling businesses in other industries whom the government would never dream of stepping in a subsidizing in a crisis.

McSlaggart

Agriculture represents about 2% of GDP and about 5% of the workforce. Obviously it's in our national interest to keep a domestic farming industry but government should demand efficiencies from the sector. The current joke of subsidizing feed for animals has raised quite a few eyebrows among struggling businesses in other industries whom the government would never dream of stepping in a subsidizing in a crisis.
We need a complete review of what we eat and how we grow the food for that diet.

Sword of Gideon

It will not just be food stuff branded as "Irish" clothing from the sports wear factory in Strabane among others.
I doubt if things could be banned from being branded "Irish" Bushmills or Beleek for a start.

The other problem will me the illegal shipping of foodstuff across the border to get the best price after brexit.
There are more than two problems for the RoI, they would better leaving the EU along with the UK. Export of items to the EU through the UK could be one of the bigger problems.

McSlaggart

There are more than two problems for the RoI, they would better leaving the EU along with the UK. Export of items to the EU through the UK could be one of the bigger problems.
The republic will not leave the EU and the Norway stand on the issue of Brexit has only reinforced their stand.

[We don't want Brexit Britain to have better deal with EU than us,' Norway warns Brussels]
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/03/dont-want-brexit-britain-have-better-deal-eu-us-norway-warns/

Se0samh

It will not just be food stuff branded as "Irish" clothing from the sports wear factory in Strabane among others.
I doubt if things could be banned from being branded "Irish" Bushmills or Beleek for a start.

Of course Brexit will cause problems for the Republic...but your suggestion that the leave the EU as GB is doing would be like burning your house down to because you're cold...

AhNowStop

The republic will not leave the EU and the Norway stand on the issue of Brexit has only reinforced their stand.

[We don't want Brexit Britain to have better deal with EU than us,' Norway warns Brussels]
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/03/dont-want-brexit-britain-have-better-deal-eu-us-norway-warns/

this is the crux of the entire matter .... Not only will the likes of Norway not have it but none of the countries "inside" the customs union & single market will countenance it either ...... the EU wouldnt last 5 minutes if the UK were allowed to have their "desired" trade scenario...

Not only that but the EU itself wouldnt allow the UK to have better or even equivalent trade deals with non-Eu parties .. they have the economies of scale and can dictate to the non-EU party that the EU terms MUST be better....

There is simply "no way" the UK can have their cake & eat it .... it bemusing in the extreme to hear their crazed politician brexiteers' lunacy in still thinking thats what they're going to get .....

The Brexiteers & crackpot unionism certainly do have something in common .. they're both living in a dreamworld a few centuries old... Its all complete feckin lunacy :roll:

We don't want Brexit Britain to have better deal with EU than us,' Norway warns Brussels

raetsel

Now that is a brainfart.............................
Exports from the Republic to the UK account for around 13% of the total.
Exports to the rest of the EU account for around 50%.
What special category of bozo do you have to be to think that it might be a good idea to risk the 50% market to protect the one which is worth around four times less? :)

Wascurito

derryman

Now that is a brainfart.............................
Exports from the Republic to the UK account for around 13% of the total.
Exports to the rest of the EU account for around 50%.
What special category of bozo do you have to be to think that it might be a good idea to risk the 50% market to protect the one which is worth around four times less? :)
A bigoted bozo. I suspect

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies