• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Forget "The Gathering" rubbish, this is what we need.

Aindriu

The only gathering that will take place in Ireland is the ever increasing out bound queues at sea and air ports as more and more people emigrate

meriwether

Right. Good stuff.

Lets cancel the gathering and talk to google about getting free wifi in Dublin.

Great. Thats that sorted.

meriwether

The only gathering that will take place in Ireland is the ever increasing out bound queues at sea and air ports as more and more people emigrate
Would free wifi not fix that?

Or would it? I'm distressingly perplexed.

Spanner Island

Google offers free WiFi in New York - Telegraph

If the government forgot all the nonsense about their crazy diaspora rip-off and really thought about what would make Ireland and attractive place to visit, they'd be talking to Google about doing a similar thing in Ireland.
Don't get it...

Google are offering free WiFi in the Chelsea area of NYC, which is where their offices are based...

It certainly isn't a New York wide undertaking...

Plenty of businesses offering free WiFi in Dublin now... although obviously the plans to have the city centre a free WiFi zone which politicians have been banging on about for years now hasn't been delivered... what a surprise?

I wonder when we'll have an acceptable nationwide broadband network... another failed promise by our crap 'establishment'.

EvotingMachine0197

It's going to take me a while to figure out how wifi in Dublin promotes the Country internationally and brings in badly needed tourism revenue.

meriwether

It's going to take me a while to figure out how wifi in Dublin promotes the Country internationally and brings in badly needed tourism revenue.
Its unimportant.

Cancel something we are doing, and do something someone else is doing.

None of it actually has to make any sense.

For instance, we should cancel the abortion debate and vote, and instead hold Australia day as a national holiday.

Thats what the Australians are doing. Holding Australia day. Why aren't we?

Spanner Island

Not true Aindriu...

Forward bookings from the USA in particular are way ahead of last year, and most of the increase is directly related to the Gathering...

Gabriel Byrne may not like it. Plenty of people in Ireland may not like it... but I suspect the Gathering will be a success despite those who seem determined to knock it at every opportunity...

Asparagus

Right. Good stuff.

Lets cancel the gathering and talk to google about getting free wifi in Dublin.

Great. Thats that sorted.
Thank God - i was sure that god awful cringefest would go ahead.

and free WiFi - that's a fantastic enabler for business and tourism.

Nice one meri

EvotingMachine0197

Its unimportant.

Cancel something we are doing, and do something someone else is doing.

None of it actually has to make any sense.

For instance, we should cancel the abortion debate and vote, and instead hold Australia day as a national holiday.

Thats what the Australians are doing. Holding Australia day. Why aren't we?
Oh, I see. That's all very clever. Why didn't someone think of this sooner?

noelf

Barcelona has free Wifi points dotted around the city, symbolised by poles vaguely resembling those used to indicate metro stations.

Nice if you come across it, hardly critical though, or indeed something that would figure in my list of reasons to visit.

Asparagus

Barcelona has free Wifi points dotted around the city, symbolised by poles vaguely resembling those used to indicate metro stations.

Nice if you come across it, hardly critical though, or indeed something that would figure in my list of reasons to visit.
No but when you come back you tell people - "They had free WiFi everywhere" and people think "cool"

and the more "cool"s you can get thought, the more people become positively disposed to visit.

ManOfReason

Because the biggest internet age problem in Ireland is the lack of internet access in Dublin?

Bonsai Experiment

Google offers free WiFi in New York - Telegraph

If the government forgot all the nonsense about their crazy diaspora rip-off and really thought about what would make Ireland and attractive place to visit, they'd be talking to Google about doing a similar thing in Ireland.

If the Paddy's in FG LAB etc. were offered free Wifi for Dublin they'd negotiate to have it put into their houses instead. Sure the people don't need it, they have the Late Late.

meriwether

No but when you come back you tell people - "They had free WiFi everywhere" and people think "cool"

and the more "cool"s you can get thought, the more people become positively disposed to visit.
We could 'like' it on Facebook.

Sanjay, from Mumbai could be over here in Dublin, and post on Facebook that Dublin has free wifi, and then his mate Mickey (His dad is quarter Irish, long story) would see this on facebook, and book tickets to come to Ireland.

Brilliant.

G

Gimpanzee

Oh, I see. That's all very clever. Why didn't someone think of this sooner?
The elites and their 16 year old daughters with their snouts in the trough own the politicians with the two cheeks of the same arse and their builder buddies covering up the backstreet abortions by bricking up the foetuses in the poorly built shoeboxes full of immigrants whom I have nothing against but shouldn't be here in the first place, leaving buggies at the bus stops is why.

'Course then there's the fractional reserve system. The biggest hoor of them all.