• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

ringobrodgar

I have been in touch with a polling firm who have informal contacts to the Electoral commission this is what they(electoral commission) currently think the format of a question might be:

Should Northern Ireland REMAIN part of the United Kingdom, or LEAVE the United Kingdom and join with the current Republic of Ireland to form one independent state Ireland?

• Then two boxes (like in the EU Referendum) i.e. REMAIN and LEAVE.
  • My personal opinion is that its an absolute car crash of a question I'm much more in favor of the format for Scottish question for independence
Should the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland be a unified country?

its a much-simplified question and will be much easier to track in polls unnecessarily complicated questions cause large fluctuations poll to poll

de valera's' giddy goat

I have been in touch with a polling firm who have informal contacts to the Electoral commission this is what they(electoral commission) currently think the format of a question might be:

Should Northern Ireland REMAIN part of the United Kingdom, or LEAVE the United Kingdom and join with the current Republic of Ireland to form one independent state Ireland?

• My personal opinion is that its an absolute car crash of a question I'm much more in favor of the format for Scottish question for independence

its a much-simplified question and will be much easier to track in polls unnecessarily complicated questions cause large fluctuations poll to poll
Your question does not suggest Northern Ireland would leave the UK. Open to interpretation that we would re-enter the UK as a unified country.

ringobrodgar

Your question does not suggest Northern Ireland would leave the UK. Open to interpretation that we would re-enter the UK as a unified country.
[/QUOTE
I'm certainly looking for opinions surely the question is mutually exclusive NI cannot be both thank you for replying on what I confess a very dry subject

Sync

I’ve also made up a discussion with a made up firm who once saw someone who might have worked for the electoral commission. This is the draft question (that they haven’t been asked to write) that the commission has according to them:

Should Northern Ireland KEEP their satanic Tayto brand, or ATTAIN the far superior Republic brand?

The options then are
1. Pink.
2. Asteroid
3. Lug wrench

My personal opinion is that its an absolute car crash of a question as there are too many shades of pink and if we were to adopt cotton candy then I swear to god I’ll burn this place to the ground.

ringobrodgar

I’ve also made up a discussion with a made up firm who once saw someone who might have worked for the electoral commission. This is the draft question (that they haven’t been asked to write) that the commission has according to them:

Should Northern Ireland KEEP their satanic Tayto brand, or ATTAIN the far superior Republic brand?

The options then are
1. Pink.
2. Asteroid
3. Lug wrench

My personal opinion is that its an absolute car crash of a question as there are too many shades of pink and if we were to adopt cotton candy then I swear to god I’ll burn this place to the ground.
I did have a discussion with a real polling firm who have international accredited standards and that is what I have been told. What benefit to me would I gain from making this up?

Sidewindered

Well it's the Brits so

a) Up to no good as usual, Ted and
b) They really don't understand referendums anyway

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Border Poll question (which is still 4 or 5 years away yet) was convoluted, opaque, confusing and open to multiple interpretations. Remember all the furore over the placement of commas in the Downing Street Declaration?

Like I say. Brits gonna Brit. Nordies are wise to these sort of shenanigans though so it won't actually have a material impact on the results.

Dame_Enda

If this is a UK Electoral Commission, it sounds confusing. Perhaps intentionally so.

Some Irish commentators assume the UK would love to throw NI overboard. But I think Johnson is a Unionist, albeit one who wants the Union to be on GB's terms.

ringobrodgar

If this is a UK Electoral Commission, it sounds confusing. Perhaps intentionally so.

Some Irish commentators assume the UK would love to throw NI overboard. But I think Johnson is a Unionist, albeit one who wants the Union to be on GB's terms.
Its not mainland UK electoral commission can't say anything more sources don't want to be revealed

Uganda

So how would I vote if I wanted NI to leave UK, but not join with ROI? Or if I wanted NI to leave UK and join with ROI but not as one independent state?

So how would I vote if I wanted NI to leave UK, but not join with ROI? Or if I wanted NI to leave UK and join with ROI but not as one independent state?
Very interesting.

How would you foresee NI joining with RoI, but not as a unified polity?

Sidewindered

What if ye wanted an invisible purple unicorn with bells on?

This was "all settled" in the GFA, no backsliding and cherrypicking now, ye huge galoot.

UI or status quo, 50%+1, end. of. story. So quit yer beeatching!

Sidewindered

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status quo so, thanks.
Look, we all know that you are another one.

There are no circumstances whatsoever in which you personally would ever vote for a United Ireland.

Why keep pretending otherwise?

If nothing else it must be a huge strain on you, having to lie about it all the time. I'm sure you'd feel better if you just pull on your big boy panties and unleash your inner Partitionist.

No?

Thought not.

McSlaggart

It could be a federation of 2 states with significant independence for each

Nope! To start with you would have to include Donegal into the new northern state (and possibly others)..... omg how would unionists like that ....???

It could be a federation of 2 states with significant independence for each
It's a very interesting concept.

My understanding would be that as a necessary interim step, NI would need full independence from both UK and RoI, at least from the standpoint of being party to any such negotiation.

Do you believe such a representative and functioning NI government could be formed?

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
It is all much easier than people realise. The real question is:

'Are you happy to continue with the occasional upset as a definition of success or would you prefer we make a decent football team out of the two halves we have?'

Sorted.

rainmaker

Administrator
It wouldn't be on the ballot for a good reasons. Independence is not really an option.

NI could not in a million years fund itself to the levels it is subsidized, and there is no popular call for it in the place.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom