Former Government Minister, Bobby Molloy Has Died

General Urko

Last edited:

automaticforthepeople

Bobby was always associated with the club of 22. I recall the establishment of the PD's and their monster meetings in main towns around the country. Their modus operandi was to set up a meeting and to sprng a celebrity ex Club of 22 member on the unsuspecting crowd of Dessie devotees.
The founding PD meeting for the west was set for Leisureland in Salthill. Bobby informed CJH that there was a local issue he had to return to Galway to deal with. He reaffirmed his support for FF in Kildare St that afternoon when he left When he arrive in Galway he went straight to the Leisureland meeting where he was the star turn.
Bridie Flaherty, the first female Mayor of Galway famously left FF on the same day. That didn't stop CJH offering Íosagáin as he was called in Connamara a cabinet seat in 1989!

RIP the man who deregulated taxi's for Bertie!

General Urko

I was in my leaving cert year, when Bobby Molloy defected to the Pee Dees! I will never forget that the lad who subsequently got the best leaving cert result in my year, was crying at the news so loyal was his family's bond to Eff Eff! BTW my school mate was and is a very decent human being!
There were a few other Salthill Sly Boyz in the class who were also upset!

ergo2

Very sorry to hear of his death.

A good and effective politician both in FF and the PDs

There was a view that his and other defections from FF to the new party would finish FF. In fact it did more damage to FG, especially in the Galway area.

Sympathies to his family and friends

Last edited:
Why end every sentence with an exclamation mark?

It's a ridiculous affectation.

D

Deleted member 48908

I was in my leaving cert year, when Bobby Molloy defected to the Pee Dees! I will never forget that the lad who subsequently got the best leaving cert result in my year, was crying at the news so loyal was his family's bond to Eff Eff! BTW my school mate was and is a very decent human being!
There were a few other Salthill Sly Boyz in the class who were also upset!
There were many around town who found themselves lost all of a sudden.

RIP Bobby and condolences to his family and friends.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Molloy was a big fish in the West for many years and his defection to the P.Ds gave them real political heft at the time.

RasherHash

Bunch of right wingers jockeying for places.

irish_bob

never knew molloy but knew people who claimed to be personal friends of his

if this was anything to go by , i was better off

HereWeGoAgain

Progressive Democrats founder Bobby Molloy dies

The death has been announced of Bobby Molloy who died at 80 years of age. Born in Galway, he was first elected to Dáil Éireann as a Fianna Fáil Teachta Dála (TD) for the Galway West constituency at the 1965 general election.

Robert "Bobby" Molloy (9 July 1936 – 2 October 2016) was a Irish Fianna Fáil and Progressive Democrats politician, who served in a wide number of Cabinet positions, most notably as Minister for Local Government, Minister for Defence and Minister for Energy.

Mr Molloy joined the PDs in 1986 and served as a TD for the party until he retired from political life in 2002

Tributes are pouring in:

The President, Michael D. Higgins said:
"I have heard with great sadness of the death of Robert (Bobby) Molloy with whom I shared the honour of representing the people of Galway West. Bobby Molloy made a huge contribution to Irish public life as a member of several cabinets. The constituency he represented was one of the largest in the country, containing Ireland's largest Gaeltacht, the Aran Islands and Inishbofin.

"Throughout his career, he gave excellent service over several decades and his name is recalled with great affection throughout the constituency,"
Taoiseach Enda Kenny:

Bobby gave a long and dedicated service in many ministries and he was always a tireless campaigner for his native Galway."

"I got to know Bobby well during his time in the Dáil and I extend my deepest sympathy to his wife Phyllis and to their family.
FF Leader, Micheál Martin:
Bobby was a man of great personal warmth, integrity and purpose. Having worked with him during [the] 1997 cabinet, I had the opportunity to witness first hand his singular focus on the issue of homelessness.

"He brought a distinct focus and energy to the issue, and the interdepartmental approach that he adopted to tackle homelessness was a particularly successful strategy in its time
R.I.P.

More to follow

Link
Progressive Democrats founder Bobby Molloy dies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Molloy

Eoin Coir

He brought lot with im around Galway, some of them reain as Inds, Grealish TD, Cllrs Cuddy, Welby Flaherty & others.

He had to resign over writing letter to a judge for a Galway rapist.

irish_bob

He brought lot with im around Galway, some of them reain as Inds, Grealish TD, Cllrs Cuddy, Welby Flaherty & others.

some say it wasnt the first time he tried to use influence in matters of justice

HereWeGoAgain

He turned out to cheer Noel Grealish to victory at the last GE.
Connacht Tribune have footage of that currently on their FB page; he looked unwell but was smiling and in good form on the day

RIP and sympathies to family and close friends.

HereWeGoAgain

Former Fianna Fáil Strong man in Galway West, Bobby Molloy, who defected to the PDs and who held ministerial posts with both has died!
Out of general sense of respect, I will make no other comment!

Former Minister Bobby Molloy dies aged 80 · TheJournal.ie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Molloy
Thanks General for early thread, I didn't learn about it till 6 o'clock News.
You're on the ball.

Molloy held five Ministerial Portfolios, including: Defence, Energy, his last being Housing and Urban Renewal from 1997 to 2002 and was a Parliamentary Secretary to Minister for Education from 1969 - 1970.

cricket

I heard years ago many the story of the frenzied rivalry between himself and our current president in that constituency. Boiled over a few times.
RIP.

Bea C

Bobby was another of the people I asked to help me with my thesis.
He refused.

HereWeGoAgain

Bobby was another of the people I asked to help me with my thesis.
He refused.
Your thesis was on Charlie Haughey I seem to recall Bea.
Molloy was one of the 'gang of 22' opposed to leadership by Charlie.
What year was your thesis and what was it's title?

Bea C

Your thesis was on Charlie Haughey I seem to recall Bea.
Molloy was one of the 'gang of 22' opposed to leadership by Charlie.
What year was your thesis and what was it's title?
I did it on Charlie in the 1960s.
Bobby was one of the few TDs from then still around.
Dessie and Gerry Collins helped me.
Garret Fitz was very good too.
David Andrews and Bobby said no.
As did Liam Cosgrave and Conor Cruise.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies