• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Former Member of Statoil Board calls Conor Lenihan “naive” over Corrib

stripey cat

Stein Bredal, a former member of the board of the Norwegian Company which is a partner in the controversial Corrib scheme said, according to the Irish Times:
  • Oil and gas companies tended to act totally on behalf of shareholders and were in a position to hire the best legal expertise, and were also able to hire journalists to work for them.

• A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.

• The Government should never have permitted construction of the gas infrastructure in the current location

• When oil was first found in the North Sea, Norway was “very lucky to have had some strong politicians who planned for the future”, and ensured that the Norwegian state built up expertise in the oil and gas industry, took a 78 per cent tax stake, and ran a state company

• the appointment of a new ombudsman trusted by “all stakeholders” may be the only route to resolution of the Corrib gas dispute in north Mayo

• Minister of State for Natural Resources Conor Lenihan was “naive” to state that a BP Gulf of Mexico-type incident could not happen in Irish waters.
Appointment of ombudsman to Corrib gas advised - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010

realistic1

Stein Bredal, a former member of the board of the Norwegian Company which is a partner in the controversial Corrib scheme said, according to the Irish Times:
  • Oil and gas companies tended to act totally on behalf of shareholders and were in a position to hire the best legal expertise, and were also able to hire journalists to work for them.

• A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.

• The Government should never have permitted construction of the gas infrastructure in the current location

• When oil was first found in the North Sea, Norway was “very lucky to have had some strong politicians who planned for the future”, and ensured that the Norwegian state built up expertise in the oil and gas industry, took a 78 per cent tax stake, and ran a state company

• the appointment of a new ombudsman trusted by “all stakeholders” may be the only route to resolution of the Corrib gas dispute in north Mayo

• Minister of State for Natural Resources Conor Lenihan was “naive” to state that a BP Gulf of Mexico-type incident could not happen in Irish waters.
Appointment of ombudsman to Corrib gas advised - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 12, 2010
In regard to Conor Lenihan stating 'that a BP Gulf of Mexico-type incident could not happen in Irish waters'. He has insurance here in that if a accident did happen, no doubt he and others could say that the accident was caused by terrorists elements of the Shell 2 Sea campaign.

Last edited:

Harmonica

Obviously Lenihan is a fool to suggest an accident could never happen.

I am not sure Norway & Ireland are comparable. I doubt Ireland ever has the potential to produce anything like the Norwegian volumes of oil and gas to make a state company worthwhile - its too easy to suggest creating a state company after the gas is found. I don't remember any one suggesting we create a state company 10-15 years ago.

goatstoe

Oil and gas companies tended to act totally on behalf of shareholders and were in a position to hire the best legal expertise, and were also able to hire journalists to work for them.
A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.
A few of those so called journalists spend a bit of time around here I would say. Every time a thread is started on the Corrib gas issue, there are fellas that come on here and swear blind that those who represented the Irish people got the best deal possible out of Shell for the potential resources off the coast of Co. Mayo.

Wont be long, so long as the thread is alive, they'll be back again............

showbandmanager

If an accident happens here it'll be Lehmans fault anyway , as for calling Conor Lenihan naive , thats an outrage.

Biffomania

I am not sure Norway & Ireland are comparable. I doubt Ireland ever has the potential to produce anything like the Norwegian volumes of oil and gas to make a state company worthwhile - its too easy to suggest creating a state company after the gas is found. I don't remember any one suggesting we create a state company 10-15 years ago.
Obviously Lenihan is a fool.........let's just leave it at that.

If an accident happens here it'll be Lehmans fault anyway , as for calling Conor Lenihan naive , thats an outrage.

You are so right. Its an outrage to call Conor Lenihan naive. The man is an absolute ass hole of the highest order. :)

Asparagus

We don't need a state company - we just need a public private partnership with profit sharing - For the first 3 years give them 60-40 to pay for the ex****ation and then reverse it.

Asparagus

You are so right. Its an outrage to call Conor Lenihan naive. The man is an absolute ass hole of the highest order. :)
if FF ever needs an enema it will be inserted in conor lenihan wha wha

stripey cat

A common public relations strategy was to present critics of projects or project methodology as “crazies or fundamentalists”, he said.
I love this bit. Imagine if a few years ago you'd suggested reining in the banks and developers? They'd have called you a crazy and a fundamentalist alright.

big_ron1

I doubt Ireland ever has the potential to produce anything like the Norwegian volumes of oil and gas to make a state company worthwhile -
Harmonica, can I ask what makes you say that? Do you have any idea about the levels of oil and gas in Ireland ?

Regarding your other point, fyi Norway offered years ago to help Ireland set up a state oil and gas company .. but this was rejected by one Messer O'Malley if memory serves.

see here

We got the worst possible deal out of corrib.
WE should tax them quite highly once there exploration costs are covered.
We have quite a few small oil and gas exploration companies in ireland alraedy though
most operate abroad in areas with better potential for discoverys.
They mostly operate on land though and most of our potential is offshore and deep sea offshore at that.
Doing a partnership with the norwegian state company which has lots of expertise in deep sea drilling would probably be our best bet for the future.

GDPR

We don't need a state company - we just need a public private partnership with profit sharing - For the first 3 years give them 60-40 to pay for the ex****ation and then reverse it.
Yep, they'll be falling over themselves to get involved in exploration off our coast with that deal.

Why didn't someone involved in the early 90's think of doing this?

flavirostris

Yep, they'll be falling over themselves to get involved in exploration off our coast with that deal.

kind of self-explanatory. They were FF'ers

cry freedom

Harmonica, can I ask what makes you say that? Do you have any idea about the levels of oil and gas in Ireland ? Regarding your other point, fyi Norway offered years ago to help Ireland set up a state oil and gas company .. but this was rejected by one Messer O'Malley if memory serves.

see here

Do you?
Pray tell.
The world is waiting!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

Some did.. but some corrupt b'stards called Ahern and Burke thought of a better way i.e. give the stuff away for free

proon4

Whats the smallest book in Ireland ?...A book about Lenihans/ORourkes that work in the private sector

Franzoni

If Lenihan says a disaster off the west coast could never happen you know it probably could....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies