• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Former Minister O'Donoghue won't take pension cuts

Blossie

Dear all,this is the first discussion I have started so please be patient with me. I was well and truly gobsmacked listening to radio kerry this morning when the ever arrogant John O'Donoghue said that he would not take any more voluntary pension cuts on his pension of 128k per year,this is in addition to a salary he receives as a practicing solicitor.

John O'Donoghue won't take another voluntary pension cut | Radio Kerry | 96-98FM | Your Voice in The Kingdom

Am I missing something,we are continually being told that we must all suffer in order to get out of our financial wasteland (a wasteland caused by Mr o'Donoghues' own party).

The sheer audacity of the man to speak on the radio after the expenses he claimed while in government. The highlights which were 21k for limousine hire while visiting Britain in 2006 and 2007. 32k claimed for trips taken in a matter of weeks in 2006.

Irish Politics, Current Affairs and Magazine Archive - Politico.ie | Party leaders collude over O

I find it amazing that he is trying to rebuild Fianna Fail in Kerry, personally he would turn me against voting for Fianna Fail FOREVER. What do my fellow posters think?

ruserious

Politics is not a career. Or...well it shouldn't be. It ought to be an honour to serve your people and make the tough decisions needed with both eyes at the task at hand, not on the next election.
This former Minister represents everything I hate about this country.

Vega1447

I liked the phrase in the linked article
Mr O’Donoghue who is now the PRO for the Kerry Fianna Fail Comhairle Dáil Cheanntair receives an annual pension of €128,000.
With a PRO like him....

asset test

It is only those in the Public Sector that are facing cuts, because their pay and pensions are paid form the public purse, we cannot affort it anymore, they are leeches, bloodsuckers, and wasters, and terrifying negotiations are about to begin as to how to do this....

Wait! While of course protecting those earning 100k or more... Silly me!

Back to my box.

Sister Mercedes

What about the senior retired civil servants, who are on pensions even higher than that, and younger than Mr O'Donaghue in several cases, who have not been asked to take any voluntary reductions?

Sync

This thread is evidence as to why its a waste of time ever taking a voluntary cut. It will never be enough for people. If he took another now, someone would be on next year whining about how he wouldn't take a third.

He's earned the money legally. If people want to propose a >10% cut to all non state pensions then that's something to entertain, but this selective stuff is nonsense.

No idea why FF are still having him actively involved, he's poison to them.

Sister Mercedes

This thread is evidence as to why its a waste of time ever taking a voluntary cut. It will never be enough for people. If he took another now, someone would be on next year whining about how he wouldn't take a third.

He's earned the money legally. If people want to propose a >10% cut to all private pensions then that's something to entertain, but this selective stuff is nonsense.
O'Donaghue isn't on a private pension.

Last edited:

SeanieFitz

Its across the board, John Bruton, Dick Spring, Brian Cowen

these are all relatively young people and a lot of them have other (substantial) incomes.
ASFAIK Cowen started drawing his pension before he was 50!

At the very least these big pensions should be staggered, the full pension should not kick in until they are 65.

I was listening to John Bruton pontificate on Radio 1 on Sunday morning, talk about pompous, and his gross annual income is disgraceful.

richie268

I think he should be shot, if I'm being totally honest. I hope he dies a slow lingering death of cancer.

But this is the least of the reasons you shouldn't be voting for Fianna Fail.
I would not wish cancer on a dog and neither should you

toconn

Heard the interview ! Fulfilled all my expectations in terms of arrogance , self delusion and bloodymindedness, taking credit for everything and blame for nothing.The type of character that should be held in contempt by the electorate for evermore , he should be kept well away from standing for any public office , the mans a perfect illustration of everything wrong with the Irish political system... And I care less what party he's from , plenty of his type over the years from all parties though FF dominate in this area.

asset test

What about the senior retired civil servants, who are on pensions even higher than that, and younger than Mr O'Donaghue in several cases, who have not been asked to take any voluntary reductions?
If and when CPA2 reduces the higher salaries, the equivalent pensions will be reduced too. Happened recently. But I think a reduction to a pension of that size or higher is not as difficult to endure as a reduction to salary.

Watch a load of em taking early retirement in the next 6 months!

Old Irish

I am so ashamed at the vast majority of the Public Sector in Ireland. Leeches

Sister Mercedes

If and when CPA2 reduces the higher salaries, the equivalent pensions will be reduced too. Happened recently. But I think a reduction to a pension of that size or higher is not as difficult to endure as a reduction to salary.

Watch a load of em taking early retirement in the next 6 months!
But most of them got out while the going was still good, and the lump sums were still huge and untaxed. It's closing the door after the horse has bolted.

FakeViking

Heard the interview ! Fulfilled all my expectations in terms of arrogance , self delusion and bloodymindedness, taking credit for everything and blame for nothing.The type of character that should be held in contempt by the electorate for evermore , he should be kept well away from standing for any public office , the mans a perfect illustration of everything wrong with the Irish political system... And I care less what party he's from , plenty of his type over the years from all parties though FF dominate in this area.
I'm willing to make a small donation to his election campaign. It's the least we could do for him. After all, it wasn't his fault that the 5-start hotels charged so much, or the fact that he got so used to flitting around Europe on the Govt Jet to parties.

bonkers

He's earned the money legally. If people want to propose a >10% cut to all non state pensions then that's something to entertain, but this selective stuff is nonsense.

No idea why FF are still having him actively involved, he's poison to them.
Of course he "earned" his money legally. The leeches in the Dail set the rates for themselves. People like him deserved to be picked out. Him and his bloody party destroyed this country and most of them sailed off into the sunset with no consequences.

realistic1

Dear all,this is the first discussion I have started so please be patient with me. I was well and truly gobsmacked listening to radio kerry this morning when the ever arrogant John O'Donoghue said that he would not take any more voluntary pension cuts on his pension of 128k per year,this is in addition to a salary he receives as a practicing solicitor.

John O'Donoghue won't take another voluntary pension cut | Radio Kerry | 96-98FM | Your Voice in The Kingdom

Am I missing something,we are continually being told that we must all suffer in order to get out of our financial wasteland (a wasteland caused by Mr o'Donoghues' own party).

The sheer audacity of the man to speak on the radio after the expenses he claimed while in government. The highlights which were 21k for limousine hire while visiting Britain in 2006 and 2007. 32k claimed for trips taken in a matter of weeks in 2006.

Irish Politics, Current Affairs and Magazine Archive - Politico.ie | Party leaders collude over O

I find it amazing that he is trying to rebuild Fianna Fail in Kerry, personally he would turn me against voting for Fianna Fail FOREVER. What do my fellow posters think?

The 'spoils of office' this is what they 'worked' for. No FF/FG or Labour Politician will condemn such a move.

asset test

But most of them got out while the going was still good, and the lump sums were still huge and untaxed. It's closing the door after the horse has bolted.
Not true. The lump sums are still untaxed, and based on number of years done X salary at retirement date, and some other formula based on 40 years being the maximum. This applies whether early retirement or not. But those that go early will take an actuarial reduction.

What's not to like? They can go work in the Private Sector and still enjoy the fruits of their labours in the PS.

Well now, if I were in their shoes, off I'd go, sharpish.