Former Taoiseach Brian Cowen seriously ill in hospital

hiding behind a poster

FF guaranteed all the gambling debts of bond holders including unguaranteed bonds which they didn't have to do. Maybe they did it to save their own fortunes... it seems like a very Fianna Fail thing to do.
Even if you accept that argument, it didn't cost the State anything. The banks were able to roll over their debts via ELA from the ECB, at zero cost to the State. Re unguaranteed bonds, the status of bonds is only relevant in a liquidation, a bank can't just pick and choose which debts it repays if it wants to continue trading.

carlovian

Why do landlords try so hard to avoid HAP tenants, in that case? Also, given that we obviously don't have sufficient social housing stock at the moment, what would you do for low-income tenants who can't afford their rent?

You have evidence that the figures are being massaged? As for homelessness doubling, I'm sure you agree that Alan Kelly's actions in 2014 were at least partially a factor. Also, do you agree that part of the reason is the dramatic recovery in the economy?
For low income tenants I would build social housing instead of putting a minimum price on rent which the hap payments does and which has destroyed the rental market for private tenants.

The department of housing changed the criteria for homelessness a year ago and took 1600 people off the numbers in a bid to keep the figure below 10,000.

And yes the economic recovery pushes demand and rents/house prices higher which is why fg policy of not building social houses is so damaging.

offalypat

FF guaranteed all the gambling debts of bond holders including unguaranteed bonds which they didn't have to do. Maybe they did it to save their own fortunes... it seems like a very Fianna Fail thing to do.
they had no choice but guarntee the bond holders they were ordered to by trichet and co remember brian lenihan saying he was froged marched into it.later on mr noonan was warned off about the bomb in dublin .

hiding behind a poster

Get on over to your Mairead McGuinness thread, the one you started but decided rather quickly to abandon.
Also, you seem to think you get to decide where I post, what threads I set up, and more besides. News for you - you don't, I do. Grow up and show a bit of respect for people who disagree with you.

hiding behind a poster

For low income tenants I would build social housing instead of putting a minimum price on rent which the hap payments does and which has destroyed the rental market for private tenants.
The State is building more social housing in order to reduce the numbers waiting. But in the meantime, what would you do for people who are in rented accommodation and can't afford their rent - throw them out on the streets?

The department of housing changed the criteria for homelessness a year ago and took 1600 people off the numbers in a bid to keep the figure below 10,000.
What criteria did they change?

And yes the economic recovery pushes demand and rents/house prices higher which is why fg policy of not building social houses is so damaging.
But they are building social housing. It takes time though - time to get planning, clear sites, build housing and infrastructure to service it, and fit it out. Everyone knows that. My question to you is what you'd do different in the meantime.

hiding behind a poster

they had no choice but guarntee the bond holders they were ordered to by trichet and co remember brian lenihan saying he was froged marched into it.later on mr noonan was warned off about the bomb in dublin .
I repeat - the ECB's ELA programme enabled banks to service their debts as they fell due with low-interest short-term ECB money, that the ECB committed to rolling over while the banks cleaned up their balance sheets.

hiding behind a poster

Tell them they were not spending enough , perhaps you were in kindergarten at the time , . perhaps you still are .
Who had a majority in the Dail? Are you seriously suggesting that a majority government was pushed into spending it didn't want to do, by the opposition?

carlovian

The State is building more social housing in order to reduce the numbers waiting. But in the meantime, what would you do for people who are in rented accommodation and can't afford their rent - throw them out on the streets?

What criteria did they change?

But they are building social housing. It takes time though - time to get planning, clear sites, build housing and infrastructure to service it, and fit it out. Everyone knows that. My question to you is what you'd do different in the meantime.
The whole emphasis in Rebuilding Ireland are providing social housing units.

This is civil service speak for a hap tenancy and this was seen as the solution to the homelessness problem.

The problem is that the hap tenancy takes a rental housing unit from the private sector that non social housing tenants need.

The fg reliance on hap has destroyed the private rental market while stuffing landlords pockets.

Any hap tenancy is not an increase in housing supply and is useless in solving the crisis.

In March 2018 the department of housing changed the criteria of homelessness in a desperate bid to keep the numbers down below 10,000

hiding behind a poster

The whole emphasis in Rebuilding Ireland are providing social housing units.

This is civil service speak for a hap tenancy and this was seen as the solution to the homelessness problem.

The problem is that the hap tenancy takes a rental housing unit from the private sector that non social housing tenants need.

The fg reliance on hap has destroyed the private rental market while stuffing landlords pockets.

Any hap tenancy is not an increase in housing supply and is useless in solving the crisis.

In March 2018 the department of housing changed the criteria of homelessness in a desperate bid to keep the numbers down below 10,000

I never said that HAP was increasing supply. HAP is an interim measure while the housing stock is built up, so that low-income tenants who can't afford their rent can continue their tenancy. Once again I'll ask you two questions -

1) If HAP is such a godsend for landlords, why do so many of them do all they can to avoid taking HAP tenants?

2) What would you do instead of HAP until the housing stock has been increased to a sufficient level?

carlovian

I never said that HAP was increasing supply. HAP is an interim measure while the housing stock is built up, so that low-income tenants who can't afford their rent can continue their tenancy. Once again I'll ask you two questions -

1) If HAP is such a godsend for landlords, why do so many of them do all they can to avoid taking HAP tenants?

2) What would you do instead of HAP until the housing stock has been increased to a sufficient level?
Hap puts a minimum price on tenancies. It guarantees a rent for landlords if they want it but these such a shortage of properties landlords can ignore it if they want.

Regarding what to do with hap tenants. I could ask the same question about private tenants who lose out to hap tenants.

Where do they go ?

The failure of fg in construction 2020 and rebuilding Ireland was not starting a major program of social house building.

This is an ideology mistake that the private market will solve all issues.

It is destroying housing for thousands while making some individuals and funds millions.

Socratus O' Pericles

Even if you accept that argument, it didn't cost the State anything. The banks were able to roll over their debts via ELA from the ECB, at zero cost to the State. Re unguaranteed bonds, the status of bonds is only relevant in a liquidation, a bank can't just pick and choose which debts it repays if it wants to continue trading.
How is Brian Cowen anyway?

Watcher2

No, I'm bot trolling. To say that FG exacerbated a particular problem can be different to saying that that problem got worse under FG. Do you understand that? If you don't, I'll explain it to you. To say that FG exacerbated a problem is to say that things are worse than they'd be had FG done nothing. Is that really your view about housing and health, and if so can you substantiate it with facts?
Oh give over. FG have appointed Ministers for Housing and despite many policies and initiatives, especially under Coveney, the housing situation has gotten worse. Rent controls have not worked and rents have continued to spiral out of control. The REITS legislation has not only starved the market of available units through the mass purchase and hoovering up of units but it is a vehicle specifically utilised to move money out of Ireland since these entities are foriegn undertakings essentially and further, they get massive tax breaks which means there is only a paltry amount of tax revenue collected from them.

Then there was the assistance to purchase scheme which Coveney was told would only fuel prices because there was (still is) a shortage of units so creating more demand would merely create more pressure.

To pretend as you have the FG are innocent bystanders in all of this is quite frankly ridiculous. Your best shilling yet no doubt.

You have succeeded once again in showing yourself to be an idiot.

Watcher2

Also, you seem to think you get to decide where I post, what threads I set up, and more besides. News for you - you don't, I do. Grow up and show a bit of respect for people who disagree with you.
No I dont. I just think it awfully coincidental that you started and rarely post there all the while, very early on in thew thread, during the Marie Bailey insurance claim debacle, another contributor posted a link showing Mairead had lodged a personal injury claim for "debilitating" pain but shortly thereafter enduring a gruelling election campaign.

So, while not "demanding" where you post, I was highlighting quite an amusing situation you created for yourself with the help of Maireads history.

But if you say its merely coincidental, thousands wont believe you. ;)

offalypat

Type it a bit better and I mightn't have to.
in which language...let me give you something to think about lets say i looked for a loan of a thousand euro off of you and you had a fair idea i might not be able to pay you back because the money i was earning was too low so you decide to only give me 2 thousand instead but knew that someone else would pay it for me and you would get 3 thousand euro including interest i think at that stage i would sort of not trust you and that my friend is what was going on during the so called boom years so you have to ask the question who was really behind dishing out all this money and dont forget while it was being loaned out a lot of it was insured aswell.

Last edited:

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

I repeat - the ECB's ELA programme enabled banks to service their debts as they fell due with low-interest short-term ECB money, that the ECB committed to rolling over while the banks cleaned up their balance sheets.
change that to had an opportunity to clean up their balance sheets. in reality it created even more debt and dependency from cheap credit.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies