Former Taoiseach Brian Cowen seriously ill in hospital

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

The loss was taken by the bank when the original loans went into NAMA, though by cleaning up its balance sheet the bank had a better chance of quickly returning to profitability, which would benefit the State if it invested in that bank. Developer A remained liable for the full amount. Developer B did good business, and as a result housing gets built.

What would you suggest instead?
I am not saying it was 100% prearranged but some collusion was at play here.

It's the taxpayer who owns the loss now. there is no way around it hbap.

stanley

Nice to see Biffo making progress, he was a lot of things but he was not a FF cant in the same mould as Ahern and Haughey.

TMK there has never been a question of financial impropriety with him which is unusual for a FF politician.

Levellers

Nice to see Biffo making progress, he was a lot of things but he was not a FF cant in the same mould as Ahern and Haughey.

TMK there has never been a question of financial impropriety with him which is unusual for a FF politician.
"In October 1994, it was revealed that Cowen had 1,000 shares in Arcon, a company to which he was in the process of awarding a mining licence. He quickly sold the shares and apologised in the Dáil for causing himself and his colleagues "some embarrassment"

stanley

"In October 1994, it was revealed that Cowen had 1,000 shares in Arcon, a company to which he was in the process of awarding a mining licence. He quickly sold the shares and apologised in the Dáil for causing himself and his colleagues "some embarrassment"

From memory these shares never amounted to very much, certainly not in fellow FF Taoiseach's, Ahern and Haughey League and cannot remember Biffo coming up in any Tribunal, this is very rare for a FF politician.

riker1969

I wish Brian a good recovery but if I ever come across him id like to pour his pint over his head for his actions as Finance Minister in particular. Claimed all the advice he got said boom was fine. Pure and utter bullshit.
Yes he is retired but now the fxxxx gets most of former perks back as part of ex Taoiseach deal ? Approved by varadker. Enda had cut them in 2012

stanley

I wish Brian a good recovery but if I ever come across him id like to pour his pint over his head for his actions as Finance Minister in particular. Claimed all the advice he got said boom was fine. Pure and utter bullshit.
Yes he is retired but now the fxxxx gets most of former perks back as part of ex Taoiseach deal ? Approved by varadker. Enda had cut them in 2012
McCreevy and Ahern set him up, Biffo was outsmarted by this pair and blind love of FF.

riker1969

McCreevy and Ahern set him up, Biffo was outsmarted by this pair and blind love of FF.
Cowen was not stupid. He had access to tons of advice. Even a moron like me who did ord level maths could tell you houses were going to crash by a lot. I just didn't figure as much but a crash was coming.

riker1969

Btw I'm not equating being a moron with doing ordinary level maths . I struggled to pass it

stanley

Cowen was not stupid. He had access to tons of advice. Even a moron like me who did ord level maths could tell you houses were going to crash by a lot. I just didn't figure as much but a crash was coming.
No, he was not stupid but Ahern and FF railroaded him into the property bubble, FF were riding high and if Ahern had pulled off the e-voting machines, as well as bending over backwards to the CS unions, we would be a one Party State

riker1969

No, he was not stupid but Ahern and FF railroaded him into the property bubble, FF were riding high and if Ahern had pulled off the e-voting machines, as well as bending over backwards to the CS unions, we would be a one Party State
Really ? The poor devil. He was rail roaded? What sort of moron are you ? An in bred from Offaly? Cowen had no choice? Had he ? Taken hostage was he ? It's posts like this that make me doubt democracy

Dearghoul

You know something about being intelligent, you don't sing 'Paddies Green Shamrock Shore' when thousands are picking up their figurative cardboard suitcases as a result of your own governments policies.

stanley

Really ? The poor devil. He was rail roaded? What sort of moron are you ? An in bred from Offaly? Cowen had no choice? Had he ? Taken hostage was he ? It's posts like this that make me doubt democracy
Yes I believe he was set up by Ahern & Co, Biffo was/is a smart lad, non-practising solicitor, well educated lad, to date not caught up with developers/builders like normal FFers but there will never be another Mahon to expose how they operated.

In reality there is no real democracy in Ireland, FF/FG all shown to be on the brown envelope lark, Dunlop proved it but only scratched the surface, Mahon was restricted it what it could do.

Dearghoul

Like I said.

I'll be looking forward to the Cowen episode of reeling in the years, when the Steely Dan title will have more relevance.

'You've been telling us your a genius since you were Seventeen.

In all the time we've known you we still don't know what you mean'

That said I wish him well for a recovery.

I'm not a total bollox.

Rural

Yes I believe he was set up by Ahern & Co, Biffo was/is a smart lad, non-practising solicitor, well educated lad, to date not caught up with developers/builders like normal FFers but there will never be another Mahon to expose how they operated.

In reality there is no real democracy in Ireland, FF/FG all shown to be on the brown envelope lark, Dunlop proved it but only scratched the surface, Mahon was restricted it what it could do.
Not smart enough to realise that the country was heading down the sink hole while himself and Mary Coughlan celebrated for a week after he was crowned Taoiseach and her Tanaiste. They hadn't a clue, that's how clever and smart they were.

How's his health now? I haven't heard anything and I do hope he gets better.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom