• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fortis Concerns. 100k Deposit Guarantee about to be tested?

Anorakphobia

Reuters reporting now that Fortis is about to be Nationalised by Belgian Government.

With huge deposits in Ireland via their links in Postbank, will Lenihan have to stump up just a week after playing Mister Money Bags with our Cash?

Fortis is an absolutely huge bank.
The bail out is now irrelevant, we are in turmoil Worldwide.

expat girl

Re: 100k Deposit Guarantee about to be tested?

Anorakphobia said:
Reuters reporting now that Fortis is about to be Nationalised by Belgian Government.

With huge deposits in Ireland via their links in Postbank, will Lenihan have to stump up just a week after playing Mister Money Bags with our Cash?

Lawd love a duck, does that mean everyone moving into the post bank last week did the wrong thing??? Although, presumably if nationalised, savers are ok?? I think all the foreign banks still operate under their own country's guarantee, although I had seen that Danske Bank wants Irish coverage for NIB. Not sure they've got that through yet though?? So how large is the Belgian savings guarantee??

Re: Fortis Gone. 100k Deposit Guarantee about to be tested?

Anorakphobia said:

I thought they said last Friday they were safe and there was nothing to worry about! I guess they were telling pork pies! :shock:

What happens next? Has Lenihan just cost us a couple of billion?? I have the An Post literature where they claim Fortis were the safest bank in the world! I must frame it for posterity! ;)

Helium Three

Unfortunate graphic of a tenner going up in flames appears at the foot of the Postbank page -here

Anorakphobia

Nothing to worry about.
They only have about 500 billion of client cash.

CookieMonster

expat girl said:
Anorakphobia said:

Lawd love a duck, does that mean everyone moving into the post bank last week did the wrong thing??? Although, presumably if nationalised, savers are ok?? I think all the foreign banks still operate under their own country's guarantee, although I had seen that Danske Bank wants Irish coverage for NIB. Not sure they've got that through yet though?? So how large is the Belgian savings guarantee??
Savings with An Post differ from savings with Post Bank.

expat girl

CookieMonster said:
Savings with An Post differ from savings with Post Bank.

OK, so do we know who guarantees Post Bank?? I know An Post is directly linked to the Irish Govt, but is therefore NOT dependant on Fortis.

My bet is that it is the Belgian government.

Anorakphobia

Cookie

My understanding tonight is that Postbank deposits will have to be covered by us.

Catalpa

Bizarre - I was just about to open an Account with them -

went in an all but said naw do it another day....

Glad I did now! :cool:

According to the blurb in the info pack I got:

Fortis Bank:

With a market capitalisation of €39 Billion, Fortis ranks among the twenty largest financial institutions in Europe. Its sound solvency position, its presence in 50 countries...enable it to combine global strength with local flexibility and provide its clients with optimum support.

Also emphasised is:

50:50

Fortis Bank and An Post

I think the Little Old Ladies will be out in force tomorrow in Local Post Offices from Killybegs to Kenmare! ;)

Helium Three

Fortis was around a long time. Some Latin scholar will have to come up with a more suitable name now.

Fortis' precursors traded with Catherine the Great and financed the U.S. purchase of Louisiana from Napoleon.

Link

codology

Just for the slow amongst you,the people who paniced last week after the Joe Duffy show and ran from the bank to the post office would have put their money into post office bonds or instalment schemes which have F all connection to Postbank.

kerrynorth

Anorakphobia said:

Postbank comes under our financial regulator so no direct impact although 50% of Postbank will undoubtably be going for sale cheap soon.

Anorakphobia

codology said:
Just for the slow amongst you,the people who paniced last week after the Joe Duffy show and ran from the bank to the post office would have put their money into post office bonds or instalment schemes which have F all connection to Postbank.
You met them all did you?

droghedasouth

Irresponsible Thread Title.
Fortis is not Gone.

Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg invested 11.2 billion euros ($16.3 billion) in Fortis, Belgium's biggest financial-services firm, partially nationalizing the bank in a move to restore investor confidence.

Brussels and Amsterdam-based Fortis will also sell its stake in ABN Amro Holding NV's banking unit, Belgium's Prime Minister Yves Leterme said a press conference today.

Anorakphobia

droghedasouth said:
Fortis is not Gone.

Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg invested 11.2 billion euros ($16.3 billion) in Fortis, Belgium's biggest financial-services firm, partially nationalizing the bank in a move to restore investor confidence.

Brussels and Amsterdam-based Fortis will also sell its stake in ABN Amro Holding NV's banking unit, Belgium's Prime Minister Yves Leterme said a press conference today.
What's irresponsible about saying it's gone?
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... X320080928
if it's nationalised, it's gone as a plc, shareholders will get nothing, so less of your old guff.

Wachovia also up shite creek tonight and looks like Wells Fargo will get them for 2 bucks a share (Friday close 10 bucks)

Helium Three

A document Dierckx carried into the meeting, photographed by Reuters, listed a range of options including "Fortis sells its stake in ABN AMRO for x billion euros to xx" and "governments of Belgium and Luxembourg to invest xx billion euros in Fortis."

Not with a bang but a whimper, and a pre-cooked press release.

Link

droghedasouth

Anorakphobia said:
droghedasouth said:
Fortis is not Gone.

What's irresponsible about saying it's gone?
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... X320080928
if it's nationalised, it's gone as a plc, shareholders will get nothing, so less of your old guff.

Wachovia also up shite creek tonight and looks like Wells Fargo will get them for 2 bucks a share (Friday close 10 bucks)
Sorry, but you seemed to be challenged to understand plain English.
The bank is not gone.
The depsit guarantee is not about to be tested.
it is partially nationalised by the three governments investing in the firm.
The shareholders will get something - all that has happened is that their interest has been diluted.

Your article was speculation and is timed over 12 hours before my article.
My article is news.

So less of your old speculative sh1te about Fortis.

west'sawake

Anorakphobia said:

Anorakphobia,

Well done on posting this. You are right, this is really really big, if its on Reuters, yet I haven't heard a dickey bird on RTE.
radio. Once nationalised, its gone.

Hopefully depositers do not have investment share accounts, but rather time deposit accounts. I am wrong in thinking they would lose the former and not the latter? Many cratures investment share accounts in building societies and don't realise there cash is now in shares. Does the Deposit account protection scheme protect them?

droghedasouth

west'sawake said:
Anorakphobia said:

Anorakphobia,

Well done on posting this. You are right, this is really really big, if its on Reuters, yet I haven't heard a dickey bird on RTE.
radio. Once nationalised, its gone.

Hopefully depositers do not have investment share accounts, but rather time deposit accounts. I am wrong in thinking they would lose the former and not the latter? Many cratures investment share accounts in building societies and don't realise there cash is now in shares. Does the Deposit account protection scheme protect them?
Calm down.Yes the story is very, very big but Anorakphobia is wrong.
Fortis is partially nationalised by means of an injection of capital from the 3 Benelux governments.
It is not gone - even if fully nationalised it would not be gone.
There is no risk to depositors - with the backing of the three governments, Fortis is now about as safe as you can get.

Lehman Bros did go bust but then they were an investment bank subject to next to no regulation and hence on their own when the proverbial impacted the air movement device. The Fed/Treasury decided to let them go as they did not imperil the entire financial system.

Fortis is however a retail bank, with insurance interests, and is just too big to be let go.

Laoi

Just reported from Australian TV that Santander is to take over Bradford and Bingley.